Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Rubber mounts for gearbox
jps

posted on 22/7/20 at 09:52 AM Reply With Quote
Rubber mounts for gearbox

I've currently got the original Ford metal/rubber mount for my Type3 gearbox, but thinking to swap for something made from sheet steel, with suitable rubber mounts. For the engine mounts I used the 'Landrover V8' type, so looking for something similar, but a little smaller in diameter.

Can anyone point me in the right direction? I'm loathe to buy a replacement 'Type9' one such as Burton Power etc have - although they look roughly the same to me, i'm not clear they fit the Type 3 'box the same.

nick205

posted on 22/7/20 at 10:39 AM Reply With Quote
MK Indy with a Ford Type 9 gear box. The donor Sierra gearbox mount rubber was like jelly so I replaced it with a much stiffer one from Westfield (I'm sure Westfield get them from somewhere). It limited the amount of movement at the gearbox tail and worked well for me. Sadly I don't have a photo to hand of it.

Link to Westfiled website and the Type 9 gearbox mount I used:

https:/ /parts.westfield-sportscars.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=718&search=gearbox+mount&description=true

I also fabricated a metal bracket to secure the gearbox mount to the MK Indy chasis. Different chasis and gearbox I appreciate, but thought it worth pointing out...

[img][/img]

[Edited on 22/7/20 by nick205]

pewe

posted on 23/7/20 at 11:23 AM Reply With Quote
Seem to recall something like Land Rover Defender mounts are same/similar?
mcerd1

posted on 23/7/20 at 09:20 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nick205
MK Indy with a Ford Type 9 gear box. The donor Sierra gearbox mount rubber was like jelly so I replaced it with a much stiffer one from Westfield (I'm sure Westfield get them from somewhere). It limited the amount of movement at the gearbox tail and worked well for me. Sadly I don't have a photo to hand of it.

Link to Westfiled website and the Type 9 gearbox mount I used:

https:/ /parts.westfield-sportscars.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=718&search=gearbox+mount&description=true

^^ its also worth mentioning that the Westfield mount is actually the same as the Caterham ones - and both are just repro versions of the old ford 4 speed mount (ie. early Cortina)

With mine I've found a slight snag, the taper on my type 9 box is very slightly wider than these 4 speed mounts (fits the sierra type perfectly) - so I'm going to need to take a little metal off to get it to sit down nicely...

-

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.