Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Track rod ends and steering arms
albertz

posted on 23/4/05 at 07:14 AM Reply With Quote
Track rod ends and steering arms

I have read on here previously that pipe insulation is not acceptable to Mr SVA for sharp edge protection, as it is not deemed permanent when held on with tape or cable ties.

What i was wondering is, if i used pipe insulation and then put some appropriately sized shrink wrap over it and shrunk it in position, would that be acceptable? or even a couple of layers of shrink wrap on its own? whats the difference between that and the plastic nut covers that we use?

The shrink wrap over insulation would be best i think as it would probably be possible to slide it back of the track rod end for adjustment as and when required.

Any comments, alternatives or past experiences welcome.

Thanks
Andrew

flak monkey

posted on 23/4/05 at 07:58 AM Reply With Quote
A neater solution is to use cable gland covers (i think thats what they are) to cover the track rod end and adjuster nut. You just clip the end off and slide it up the steering arm, screw on the track rod and nut, then pull the cover back over the track rod.

David

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

Danozeman

posted on 23/4/05 at 08:44 AM Reply With Quote
The only trouble with shrink wrap is if u shrink it youl have to cut it off to adjust the steering if needed. Apart from that it is a good idea.

Dan

Built the purple peril!! Let the modifications begin!!

http://www.eastangliankitcars.co.uk

Peteff

posted on 23/4/05 at 01:11 PM Reply With Quote
Do you mean heat shrink? shrink wrap's for sarnies. I've never seen any big enough for the job you mention. The electric gland covers are the best solution I've seen yet and they can be cut to length.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

clbarclay

posted on 23/4/05 at 01:17 PM Reply With Quote
A quick search on CPC's site revealed heat shrink thats unshrunk at 50.8mm and will shrink to 25.4mm. If thats not big enough what is.

http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/endecaSearch/searchPage2.jsp?Ntt=heat+shrink&newSearch=true&Nto=gland&Nty=1&N=411&Ntk=gensearch

its the 7 item down.

Fifer

posted on 23/4/05 at 01:46 PM Reply With Quote
Joke missed I think
Petemate

posted on 23/4/05 at 04:30 PM Reply With Quote
Hi All
Tifosi do purpose-made TRE nut covers, they are supple cones which slip over and are retained with cable ties. Stretchy enough to fit all sizes of TRE assemblies and SVA friendly.
HTH
Petemate

albertz

posted on 23/4/05 at 07:18 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the comments, i tried the "heat shrink" today and it worked quite well but tended to melt the insulation at the ends. I tried to leave a bit of slack so that it could be slid back towards the rack to adjust the TRE.

I also noticed the Tifosi offering and phoned them, but no answer. I will probably either get there purpose made items or use cable glands as suggested.

Nobody has commented on just using heat shrink on its own, would that be OK, as i asked previously it is no worse than the hard plastic nut covers is it?

Thanks for the help so far.

Mr_Stevo

posted on 25/4/05 at 12:01 PM Reply With Quote
I could only find the cable glands as part of an outdoor junction box set from B&Q.

I ended up using bicyle handlebar grips they grip well and can be slid up and down to allow for adjustment.

DarrenW

posted on 25/4/05 at 02:17 PM Reply With Quote
Im surprised that pipe insulation is no good. im sure it was Snuggs that passed at Gosforth with insulation over his, cable tied on. Im sure he will confirm but iirc he had to use the high density stuff. When fitted you can bearly feel the nut when you press thumb into it (grey colour - insulation that is not your thumb!).

Maybe the spec has changed or tester interpretation is different elsewhere.

NS Dev

posted on 27/4/05 at 10:58 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Petemate
Hi All
Tifosi do purpose-made TRE nut covers, they are supple cones which slip over and are retained with cable ties. Stretchy enough to fit all sizes of TRE assemblies and SVA friendly.
HTH
Petemate

They do indeed, but they are just the cable gland covers!

omega 24 v6

posted on 27/4/05 at 11:31 AM Reply With Quote
What you are looking for are cable gland shrouds for micc cable available in packs of ten from all electrical hole sailors
they are usually orange or red coloured but i think black are also available but check first. The other type are usually only available as part of a gland kit for swa cable and are usually in pairs. Sizes vary from around 20mm to 50mm dia and possibly larger.

Wow thats a lot of available's

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.