Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: mounting seats
wheelsinsteadofhooves

posted on 23/4/05 at 10:32 AM Reply With Quote
mounting seats

oooh baby, new seats arrived yesterday and damn, theyre fine.
thing is, is it ok to bolt them directly to the floor? ive got a race chassis with steel floor panels, and am not too woried about runners at this moment as its probably a good thing my girlfriend wont be able to reach the pedals. i recon its strong enough to take the forces but will mr friendly sva man?
ive heard about using some square bar, but whats the difference in bolting the seats to that, then bolting that to the floor?
ok, im off to sit in the seats again and make car noises!

Fifer

posted on 23/4/05 at 11:22 AM Reply With Quote
Although I did use runners, I bolted these to the steel floor with large washers on the underside to spread the load. The SVA man was fine with this.

wheelsinsteadofhooves

posted on 23/4/05 at 01:45 PM Reply With Quote
cool,
thought id use some button head bolts for a smoother underside, but again not sure what sva ruling is. manual on way though.
cheers for advice

tractorboy

posted on 23/4/05 at 09:07 PM Reply With Quote
i wouldnt have thought the sheer strength of a button head bolt was up to the job .and apart from that as far as i know the floor level and below is exempt from the radius rule.
scott

NS Dev

posted on 25/4/05 at 07:26 AM Reply With Quote
The shear strength of a button head bolt will be exactly the same as any other bolt with the same rating! You can get 12.9 grade button heads no problem, and in any case, 8.8 grade will be fine, you will break before they do!!!
DarrenW

posted on 25/4/05 at 08:53 AM Reply With Quote
Ive mounted my seats directly to the floor. Chassis was provided with some steel straps for mounting purposes. Ive drilled thro these and thro ally floor. Big washers on top of seat and under floor. (GRP seats from Mac#1). I have slotted the drivers side floor so that seat position can be adjusted a bit (albeit slowly and only after loosening the 4 bolts etc) in case me and someone else share some track time etc.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.