Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Cleaning a modified sump
Jeffers_S13

posted on 12/5/05 at 01:42 PM Reply With Quote
Cleaning a modified sump

How to clean my sump, its been shortened and widened and is full of gungy old oil and swarf and crap after sitting about on the workshop floor. Does anyone actually do 'acid dipping' these days ? or is this an misunderstanding of a hot wash type machine ? its an awkward shape and I wont be able to agitate the gunge with a brush or whatever its gonna need to dissolved or washed off.
nick205

posted on 12/5/05 at 02:47 PM Reply With Quote
I cleaned mine with Gunk. Gunk is fairly evil on your skin and up your nose, but a good soak followed by a good stiff brushing (wear goggles). The sump came up very clean

ned

posted on 12/5/05 at 02:55 PM Reply With Quote
i had my block dipped at my local engine shop, maybe dipping is still available if you ask nicely

Ned.

[Edited on 12/5/05 by ned]

beware, I've got yellow skin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Hellfire

posted on 12/5/05 at 04:46 PM Reply With Quote
Acetone thinner's - get's rid of all those nasty gremlins. When done, it will dry out (in a well ventilated area).

Glan Noye

posted on 12/5/05 at 05:21 PM Reply With Quote
Almost fill it with warm water and add some caustic soda.It will get very hot,cover it over to keep the heat in and leave it for a couple of days.Tip it away,it will give your drains a good clean!Rinse with a hose.DO NOT PUT THE CAUSTIC IN FIRST AS IT WILL ERUPT!!Acid dipping will not work,needs to be alkaline to shift grease.Wear rubber gloves and goggles.Good luck Glan.Do not do this with aluminium as it will dissolve.

[Edited on 12/5/05 by Glan Noye]

stevebubs

posted on 12/5/05 at 11:28 PM Reply With Quote
Clean it as best as you can by hand then stick it in the dishwasher while SWMBO is not looking.
tractorboy

posted on 13/5/05 at 03:52 PM Reply With Quote
petrol or something similar breaks the oil down and just agetate it with a paint brush .
scott

turbolag

posted on 14/5/05 at 07:23 PM Reply With Quote
Take it up the BP and stick it in the jetwash when no one is looking...

If it ain't broke, you ain't fiddlin' hard enough!

JoelP

posted on 14/5/05 at 07:33 PM Reply With Quote
myself, id wipe it out with kitchen paper and then just use fairy liquid. i appreciate that other things mentioned would be more through or better, but i like simple stuff that is close to hand!

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

owelly

posted on 14/5/05 at 10:31 PM Reply With Quote
I think quite a few people are forgetting that Jeffers_S13 cannot get into his sump to wipe/agitate it!
We have a few companies around here who do various 'dips'. My mate used to work at a galvanising plant and the stuff that came back from the 'pickling' tanks were shiney clean!!

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Jeffers_S13

posted on 18/5/05 at 11:56 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for responses, as reminded by owelly I cant get to the really nasty corners as the standard baffle/windage (?) tray is in the way so I cant use a stiff brush or a rag. I guess dipping is kind of hard to get done as Ive found. Think I need to find a local galvaniser.
Glan Noye

posted on 18/5/05 at 07:33 PM Reply With Quote
If you are going to get someone to clean it for you try a local electro platers ,Glan.
DarrenW

posted on 27/5/05 at 09:14 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jeffers_S13
Thanks for responses, as reminded by owelly I cant get to the really nasty corners as the standard baffle/windage (?) tray is in the way so I cant use a stiff brush or a rag. I guess dipping is kind of hard to get done as Ive found. Think I need to find a local galvaniser.

How did you do it in the end. After ive modded my sump i too will need to make sure it is thoroughly cleaned out. If they are electroplated do you need to be careful about the inside faces? Is Zinc plating OK?

ayoungman

posted on 6/6/05 at 01:57 PM Reply With Quote
Local electro platers is the answer. Hot Trichloromethane acid bath will take the sump back to bright metal in 30 seconds !

"just like that !"

Jeffers_S13

posted on 7/6/05 at 11:57 AM Reply With Quote
Well, I probably shoudnt have done but I got it aqua blasted. SO when I got it back I had to spend ages getting rid of every last bit of glass bead. It came up like new, totally back to shiney bare metal, the guy managed to get the nozzle thing right under all the awkward places, I'll post a pic in my archive. I also used an airline to blow the beads out, I am sure I didnt get them all but Im running a sort of duff old engine in the car at the minute whilst I do things like this so any stray beads will have gone through it and got caught in the filter so when I fit my good engine things will be OK.

James

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.