Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: getting closer to caterham and/or westfield
86barettaguy

posted on 23/5/05 at 06:22 PM Reply With Quote
getting closer to caterham and/or westfield

no, I haven't started my build yet. lack of money and lack of space... But I have made a model of the book chassis in 3D CAD. Now I'm thinking that maybe it might be a good idea, once I get to the actual building, to try and get the design as close to either caterham or westfield as is possible, in case I decide that I'm not gonna build the entire car from scratch. I'm certainly not going to be able to make the nosecone on my own... So, does anyone have any drawings of caterham or westfield cars?
turbolag

posted on 23/5/05 at 07:59 PM Reply With Quote
I got a Westfield nosecone of ebay for £33. The pain has crazed, but it'll rub down alright and i'm respraying it anyway, so not an issue.

If it ain't broke, you ain't fiddlin' hard enough!

Mark Allanson

posted on 23/5/05 at 08:29 PM Reply With Quote
I have used a Westy nosecone on my (book) car, I had to use some fairly radical modifications to the ally work Rescued attachment WestyAdapt.jpg
Rescued attachment WestyAdapt.jpg

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

NS Dev

posted on 23/5/05 at 08:51 PM Reply With Quote
I stand to be corrected but I think the Stuart Taylor bodywork is very similar (but not the same) as Caterha*. I think you could swap bonnets etc possibly, though the nose would be no good.

Certainly dimensionally similar. Westfield is quite a bit bigger.

Wadders

posted on 23/5/05 at 10:26 PM Reply With Quote
AFAIK ST bodywork is just book stuff, same as GTS and possible Luego, agree that Westie bodywork is huge in comparison, especially the nose. Indy panels are also bigger, although i have an indy back panel on my ST, which fits perfectly and is streets ahead in quality compared to the ST version.

Al.

Originally posted by NS Dev
I stand to be corrected but I think the Stuart Taylor bodywork is very similar (but not the same) as Caterha*. I think you could swap bonnets etc possibly, though the nose would be no good.

Certainly dimensionally similar. Westfield is quite a bit bigger.

Liam

posted on 23/5/05 at 10:28 PM Reply With Quote
The luego locost nosecone is a caterham copy but modified with nice straight mounting flanges to fit a book chassis. Very nice too. There's plenty of parts available for the book cars.

Liam

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Jeffers_S13

posted on 25/5/05 at 11:27 AM Reply With Quote
Before I bought my car I was considering an Avon, they are VERY similiar to a Caterham IMO. I had a copy of practical classics with a Caterham reviewed so good ortho views of the car and a copy the which kit where they drove the finished Avon. They look so similar only real difference was the bulge in the bonnet/nose area. If you make the roll over bars like the Caterham and fit Caterham wheels (as I was planning to do) then you'd end up with a very well proportioned car like the Caterham, all IMO of course...

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.