Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Van Tuong Nguyen
Scratch Builder

posted on 26/11/05 at 07:18 AM Reply With Quote
Van Tuong Nguyen

This is a dreadfully sad case and the young man does not deserve to die in such a barbaric manner. There is something you can do.
Regards

http://www.amnesty.org.au/Act_now/action_centre/singapore_urge_authorities_to_stop_the_execution_of_van_tuong_nguyen

J

theconrodkid

posted on 26/11/05 at 08:16 AM Reply With Quote
if i remember rightly there are warning signs everywhere about your posible fate if you are caught with that stuff,afraid i have no sympathy for him,most of the crime carried out here is due to drugs,we should start topping them here

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

niceperson709

posted on 26/11/05 at 08:18 AM Reply With Quote
I agree that this a sad case but really there is Nothing that you can do to save his life, he has exhausted all legal Avenues and will hang . Fell sorry for his Family by all means but also bear in mind that he was caught with 400 g of heroin , in singapore that tells every one that the penalty for drug trafficing is death by hanging , he admits his guilt so why should we shed a tear for him ?

Best wishes IAIN
life is not the rehearsal , it's the show so don't sit there thinking about it DO IT NOW
http://iainseven.wordpress.com/

Scratch Builder

posted on 26/11/05 at 09:02 AM Reply With Quote
Topping Them

Could be your son or daughter......... wonder how you would feel then? Crime will always be a prblem drugs or not. My understanding is that alcohol is by far the most significant cause of crime today.Two wrongs never made a right and never will. Legalised murder is offensive. Obviously I am alone in my convictions. Happy Christmas all!

J

mookaloid

posted on 26/11/05 at 09:35 AM Reply With Quote
I wonder if you would be so charitable if he had supplied heroin to your son or daughter who subsequently overdosed and died on it. Or if the heroin found it's way to your childs school as free samples to turn the kids into addicts (who will probably end up dieing in a very unpleasant manner too)

Sorry but no sympathy here either.

Hellfire

posted on 26/11/05 at 09:42 AM Reply With Quote
Just gonna say exactly the same thing Mark but you beat me to it. He knew what the consequences would be for committing such a crime.

No sympathy here.

flak monkey

posted on 26/11/05 at 09:56 AM Reply With Quote
If he had been caught with only 15g then maybe there would be an issue with him being executed.

As has already been said there are plenty of warnig signs around warning of the penalties, and he himself admits he is guilty....

Considering he was caught with over 25 times the cut-off amount, I am not suprised at the sentence!

Besides, in justice you must be fair. If you make an example of this case, then all others following it will go through the same things. And think how the families of those people who have had the sentence imposed would feel if this guy got let off.

Sorry, he may be young, but I have no sympathy for him either.

I dont really agree with the death penalty. However, those are that countries rules. They gave him a trial etc. There are many more coutries where much worse things happen to alleged criminals, and many more where the death penalty is still used.

[Edited on 26/11/05 by flak monkey]

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

Dusty

posted on 26/11/05 at 09:57 AM Reply With Quote
No way hang the poor misguided lamb. He was just trying to make a buck. Commute to life imprisonment with hard labour and no parole in some hellhole jail. His family to pay for his costs.

I thought Amnesty had better things to do.

[Edited on 26/11/05 by Dusty]

Scratch Builder

posted on 26/11/05 at 10:51 AM Reply With Quote
Amnesty

My final comments. He had a trial...... of sorts. His childhood background was less than ideal... a product of the Vietnam, war and boatperson refugee. Thank you Uncle Sam and the Frogs!! This is an explanation, NOT an excuse! He made a serious mistake for misguided reasons. He admitted guilt and gave significant help to 'authorities'. He was sentenced to death. So far, pleas for clemency have been from The Queen, The Pope, The Prime Minister of New Zealand, The Prime Minister of Australia, all living past Prime Minister's of Australia, and all leaders of all major religious organizations in Australia and the Australian Parliament.
I am a high school teacher of 28 yrs experience (10 in the British Isles in a very impoverished location) and I HATE exaggerated opinions about drug use in schools. Students are what they are invariably (mainly) due to family circumstances. Despite the experiences and disappointments of dealing with young people and their often lousey parents for so long, I am pleased to say that I still have a charitable bone left. Perhaps I should have moved into “Business” and wouldn’t now be building a ‘Locost’.

J

Ian Pearson

posted on 26/11/05 at 10:56 AM Reply With Quote
I have a hard time with the death penalty. It just doesn't seem right, however, I do feel that sometimes it can act as a serious deterent. Singapore is a great place with very little crime. They have some rules and regs that we would find unacceptable here, because our lives are run by do gooders. This (IMHO) is why our country is such a mess. We don't have hard labour any more because it's against the criminals human rights. Singapore is a safer country than ours precisely because of it's strict legislation. I feel a huge amount of sympathey for the young man's family, but he knew the consequences.................
rusty nuts

posted on 26/11/05 at 06:33 PM Reply With Quote
Having a brother who is a herion addict and seeing what it has done to him , his family and my mother I have no sympathy for him . He knew the risk's when he decided to smuggle the stuff. It's a pity we don't have the death penalty here.
zxrlocost

posted on 26/11/05 at 06:50 PM Reply With Quote
drug dealers
rapists
mureders
paedo's

and anyone that sticks up for them needs a bullet in the middle of there eyes simple as then maybe in this country we could have people feeling safe again!

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

JoelP

posted on 26/11/05 at 07:19 PM Reply With Quote
dont be daft, how can you blanket say that all dealers need killing? I bet a fair portion of people on this site enjoy recreational drugs or have in the past - i certainly did as a kid. Now whilst i wouldnt argue that heroin dealers need abusing big time, an automatic death penalty is simply ridiculous!

Whilst it is, IMHO, tragic that this person is going to be killed by the state, it would seem unavoidable as to pardon him would set a poor example. However, maybe the law needs looking at. Again, IMHO.

If anyone feels the need to campaign on behalf of amnesty, they have a hell of a lot of people listed who are in far more unfortunate situations.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

zxrlocost

posted on 26/11/05 at 09:07 PM Reply With Quote
drug dealers are scum whatever the drug

if you want to take drugs thats your choice

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

benji106

posted on 26/11/05 at 10:04 PM Reply With Quote
I think capitol punishment should definitely be brought back for murderers and peados and rapists, however stringing up every dealer seems a bit extreme especially if its just recreational drugs and they are not pushing it to kids, not that I condone their actions.

-Everything in excess-

steve_gus

posted on 26/11/05 at 11:26 PM Reply With Quote
Im against the death penalty.

However, when you go to a foreign land, you play by their rules.

I went to singapore in 1987. Even then they had a well declared policy about drugs smuggling - so much so I remember it now.

Its a death peanlty to have more than 1/2 oz of class A drugs on you.

When you are on the plane, you fill out a landing card. It states to declare any drugs you have as its death to drug smugglers. Then the captain reads out a warning, again declare or die. Then, as you enter immigration, there is a really big sign. You are left in no doubt.

Singapore is perhaps the nicest place ive ever been in terms of people, cleanliness and cost of living (for a westerner). even the plug sockets are the same as ours. You can walk anywhere at any time, and you will not be in any danger at any time of day or night. If you drop litter you get a months salary fine. If you graphiti, you get lashes. Everone lives in tower blocks, but its all very clean and very ordered and safe. Compare to the UK!

Drugs wreck families and lives. People hooked on drugs mug and burgle for the money to feed the habit. It could be your wife or sister, or your house.

Its sad that someone is going to die, but essentially, he took a gamble and lost.

dont worry tho - after the bad taste stuff posted about george best on here recently, we can still have a bit of fun over the guy when hes hanged. Anyone got any jokes yet? (im being ironic btw)

atb

steve

http://www.locostbuilder.co.uk

Just knock off the 's'!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
zxrlocost

posted on 27/11/05 at 12:11 AM Reply With Quote
soon to be in ping pongs takeaway

in a Beef curry near you

Rorty

posted on 27/11/05 at 04:36 AM Reply With Quote
I find it hard to justify the death penalty for crimes such as murder, simply because the accused is often convicted on supposition or heresay. If a murderer is caught red handed then I say put him down. That also goes for dealers/mules caught with drugs, paedos caught with children or even associated pics on their puter and rapists who destroy the lives of so many women.
In all cases though, the proof must be irrefutable.
I say let Nguyen swing because he's as deadly as any mass murderer with a machine gun. Anyway, it's not as though there weren't any others before him who face similar ends. I don't know if you get much Australian news up there, but there have been several other cases recently (one single case involving nine offenders) which have been on the news every night for the past few months.
I say good for the authorities for standing up to pressure from Australia, the Pope and HM the Q to have the sentence commuted.

Cheers, Rorty.

"Faster than a speeding Pullet".

PLEASE DON'T U2U ME IF YOU WANT A QUICK RESPONSE. TRY EMAILING ME INSTEAD!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.