Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Zetec Oil Separator
jhiggi10

posted on 12/6/06 at 04:27 PM Reply With Quote
Zetec Oil Separator

I'm in the process of replumbing my zetec and was wondering if it's possible to ditch the oil/air separator on the side of the crankcase and use only the cam cover breather? I think the blowby should be low enough to not cause a problem but I'm not sure how much oil carry over there usually is on a zetec. Would forcing all the vent gases up the head drains pick up too much oil? Any help greatly appreciated.

Cheers, James.

Markp

posted on 12/6/06 at 05:02 PM Reply With Quote
thats what I've done, Blanked off the oil breather on the side with a 3mm plate and got an oil breather on the rocker cover, I've done about 500 miles with no problems

ATB

Mark

BKLOCO

posted on 12/6/06 at 05:54 PM Reply With Quote
I've got both breathers connected to an oil catch tank and to date have had NO oil in the tank to drain off just a bit of condensation

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want!!!

givemethebighammer

posted on 12/6/06 at 07:24 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markp
thats what I've done, Blanked off the oil breather on the side with a 3mm plate and got an oil breather on the rocker cover, I've done about 500 miles with no problems

ATB

Mark

did the same with mine, no problems so far.

Krismc

posted on 12/6/06 at 08:25 PM Reply With Quote
How you plumbed a catch pot in???

Built, Ivaed, Drove and now Sold - 2011 MNR VORTX RT+ 2000cc Zetec on R1 Throttle boddies.

Danozeman

posted on 12/6/06 at 08:56 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

How you plumbed a catch pot in???

Just run the 2 breather pipes to a beer can or summit. If you want something fancy then a nice ally jobbie with a filter on top.

Dan

Built the purple peril!! Let the modifications begin!!

http://www.eastangliankitcars.co.uk

big_wasa

posted on 12/6/06 at 09:17 PM Reply With Quote
doing mine this way

Markp

posted on 12/6/06 at 10:07 PM Reply With Quote
I tried to explain, I've done exactly like big_wasa.

Mark

jhiggi10

posted on 12/6/06 at 10:21 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers chaps - blanking plate looks like the answer.

Just out of interest, is that a raceline water rail on Big Wasa's engine?

BKLOCO

posted on 13/6/06 at 07:31 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jhiggi10

Just out of interest, is that a raceline water rail on Big Wasa's engine?

Certainly looks like it.
Loads of money for no real benifit IMHO.

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want!!!

procomp

posted on 13/6/06 at 07:56 AM Reply With Quote
Hi as said use blanking plate.And also as said race line warter rail has no benifit as it still has to be plumbed with a header tank and then still gives some problems on some cars but once removed problems also dissapear.

cheers matt

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
big_wasa

posted on 13/6/06 at 05:42 PM Reply With Quote
I would bow to your experience Matt as I haven’t actually run it yet.

But.

Raceline recommend NOT using a header tank. And im not running a heater. This should give a very easy connection to the rad. Ie water pump to the bottom of the rad and the stat housing to the top of the rad.

I hope not to get problems with localised over heating in the head as there is a bypass in the thermostat.

Raceline blurb
"Raceline use and recommend the 1800 Zetec water pump for all its engine conversions, and when the Raceline water rail is used in conjunction with a 1800 water pump the system operates as follows: the water pump draws coolant from the radiator and pumps it into the water jacket, and as the coolant absorbs heat from the engine it flows back and up into the Raceline water rail at the rear of the cylinder head, where the Ford thermostat housing was previously mounted. Coolant then passes forward along the water rail towards the thermostat housing. From there, it returns to the radiator, provided the thermostat is open. During the warm-up phase a small by-pass hole in the thermostat allows some water flow, so preventing local overheating.

The Raceline water rail is designed for use without a header tank, although it is possible to incorporate one in the cooling system if preferred. We prefer the inherent simplicity and efficiency of running the cooling system without a header tank, the only disadvantage being that the coolant level can not be monitored at a glance as it can with the semi-transparent header tank common to most such systems. Therefore the cooling system must be checked and topped up regularly, and as the coolant heats up and expands the excess will be expelled, allowing the system to find its own level".

Price wise, I would bet there isn’t a lot init if you shelled out on a set of Samco silicon hoses.

Time will tell if its crap

roadboy

posted on 13/6/06 at 06:35 PM Reply With Quote
IMHO the water rail is absolutely unecessary except in cases where bulkhead clearance is a problem. I do not think it is a good idea having the thermostat mounted so far away from the cylinder head even with a very small bleed through it, it is much easier to use the Ford system & a length of stainless or ally tube.
Regds
Ian

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
givemethebighammer

posted on 13/6/06 at 07:00 PM Reply With Quote
My raceline water rail has never given me any trouble, car heats up quickly to 90 degrees and more or less stays there (84 degree stat with a single 3mm hole drilled in it). Much simpler pumbing. All I have is the rail and a small pipe connected to the thermostat housing which is connected to a nissan micra "K type" overflow bottle mounted in the nose cone (not a pressurised expansion bottle). When the car is hot the pressure cap opens on the thermostat housing and ther coolant is able to expand into the bottle as it cools down it is drawn back into the engine.

works for me

procomp

posted on 14/6/06 at 07:05 AM Reply With Quote
Hi as i said some cars get problems not all but it is always the warter rail at fault .As when it's removed problem is also gone. If you do some research on the wscc site you will find that the one cure is to fit a header tank and if that don't cure it then remove the rail. Hence the reason there is so many seconhand ones around.

cheers matt

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.