Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: suitable harness?
ned

posted on 24/7/03 at 11:55 AM Reply With Quote
suitable harness?

I have found a s/hand 6 point harness, only problem is that it is from a saloon car and has longer rear/top straps that go behind the seat. Is there any way this can be used or am I best off staying clear of it and buying a single seater or caterham type with the correct length rear/top straps?

It just seemed a bargain at £20...

Ned.

beware, I've got yellow skin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
timf

posted on 24/7/03 at 12:56 PM Reply With Quote
if it has an aircraft style turn buckle then the sva won't like it much as they tend to have FIA markings but not e marks

also the back straps will be way to long,
don't be temped to shorten them as they are double reversed stiched to prevent them from coming out of the buckles and home stiching isn't up to the job.

Most racers will tell you that the scrutineers pay particular attention to this due to it being done on a rally car running at the watton airfield rally a few years ago, the car barral rolled and the seatbelts pulled out of the buckles and the driver was thrown from the car and died. I was chief safety officer for the event and the ensuing inquest was not a pleasent experience for me or the scrutineers in question.
As with most things safety wise it doesn't always pay for the cheapest option as you don't always know the history of the parts. All seatbelts should be replaced after an accident as they would be streched beond their safety limits.

ned

posted on 24/7/03 at 01:00 PM Reply With Quote
thanks for the info timf, i agree safety is paramount, but i do like my bargains....

i'll give it a miss....

Ned.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Peteff

posted on 24/7/03 at 02:31 PM Reply With Quote
You can use long belts by putting mounting plates low down in the boot area to use up the excess and sling them over a round bar across the roll bar at a suitable height or through the cutout in a highback seat. 6 point harness sounds a bit extreme, where do all the straps go?

yours, Pete.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

timf

posted on 24/7/03 at 02:33 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Peteff
where do all the straps go?

yours, Pete.

nut crackers and end up with eyes like your glasses

[Edited on 24/7/03 by timf]

ned

posted on 24/7/03 at 02:35 PM Reply With Quote
the bottom belt is like an upside down V shape that goes between your legs and then through a hole in the seat normally...

Ned.

timf

posted on 24/7/03 at 02:36 PM Reply With Quote
as i said ned, nut crackers
ned

posted on 24/7/03 at 03:29 PM Reply With Quote
yeah, ok then smarty pants: 'nut crackers' it is...

...though when it's done up it feels more like a rock climbing/abseiling harness does if you've ever worn one of them?!

Personally I've never worn any nutcrackers....

Ned

David Jenkins

posted on 24/7/03 at 03:40 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ned

Personally I've never worn any nutcrackers....

Ned

You just don't get asked to the right parties...

DJ

timf

posted on 24/7/03 at 03:42 PM Reply With Quote
having heard someone hit the armco at the pit slip road at sneterton wearing a 6 pointer (not correctly adjusted) he submarined in the harness hence the term nut cracker .
ned

posted on 24/7/03 at 03:42 PM Reply With Quote
nobody loves me....

andyd

posted on 24/7/03 at 07:27 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by timf
if it has an aircraft style turn buckle then the sva won't like it much as they tend to have FIA markings but not e marks

Tim, this is not true. I rang Norwich SVA test centre today regarding mirrors (another thread on here) and also asked the guy about the belts. I wanted to know if an FIA approved 4 point would pass. He said yes so long as it was fitted correctly. I asked specifically about the quick release buckle and he said it would be ok so long as you can undo it with one hand. As far as I know (only worn one once in a formula ford) that is the case. No E markings are necessary as long as the equipment satisfies all the criteria that the E mark is awarded for on E marked gear. Make sense?

The only problem is that the FIA ones are more money than the clunk-clik style. Hey ho we must have the toys though eh?

Andy

Rorty

posted on 25/7/03 at 06:44 AM Reply With Quote
Ned, if you're proposing a lot of track use, then it may be a bargain. If though, you'll be using the car mostly on the road, you'll get sick and tired of having to put on the 6 pointer every time you jump in. They should be replaced a minimum of every two years. Is that the reason it's being unloaded?
You don't necessarily need to put the snap-in/bolt-in fixtures back onto the rear straps. It's perfectly acceptable to wrap them around part of the cars structure, and use the steel sliders to thread the webbing through. A lot of racers use this method, and is generally accepted as a better option in many cases, as the webbing doesn't have such an acute fold in it.
Whatever method is chosen for mounting a harness, the shoulder straps must go down rearwards at an angle of about 45 degrees. Going straight back is a no-no!
Similarly, the crotch strap must be attached to the chassis in line with the outer lap belt mounting points (which should be behind the line of the back of the seat).

Cheers, Rorty.

"Faster than a speeding Pullet".

PLEASE DON'T U2U ME IF YOU WANT A QUICK RESPONSE. TRY EMAILING ME INSTEAD!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.