Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Inquiry for Dave Ashurst
Browser

posted on 7/8/03 at 11:35 PM Reply With Quote
Inquiry for Dave Ashurst

Mr Ashurst, just been looking at your photo archive and was very interested by the seats you fitted to your car. They look like rear seats out of something but my question is what? They look like they are very comfortable, not to mention a neat solution. Can you enlighten me? I tried looking at the member list but it's not working, otherwise I'd mail direct. Does anyone know Dave who can let him know about my enquiry?

Dave Ashurst

posted on 8/8/03 at 08:09 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Browser
I agree with you, but I'm biased so it doesn't count.

Yes they are damn comfortable! and when you arrive you don't want to get out I can tell you!

They're home made by my wife helped by me. They were cannibalised from the back seat of an auto 3 litre peugeot saloon at the scrappie. J reg I think it was and 605 I believe but not 100% sure I never looked, the tail was buried in a hedge.

We de-boned them, carved them up to suit and stapled the leather round exterior grade ply bases and backs. I screwed the steel mounts for the sliding headrests to the back board and lined them up first.

My wife did the stitching where needed.

The front seats looked much more promising (I got the lot) but it was a shame to spoil them so I sold those separately.

Not much help I guess?

regards
Dave

Metal Hippy

posted on 8/8/03 at 08:10 PM Reply With Quote
I'd say it was extremely helpful should you have some spare 605 seats lying about awaiting a new use....

Cock off or cock on. You choose.

Dave Ashurst

posted on 8/8/03 at 08:11 PM Reply With Quote
Woo yay!
Metal Hippy

posted on 8/8/03 at 08:12 PM Reply With Quote
Absolutely.

Cock off or cock on. You choose.

Browser

posted on 8/8/03 at 10:17 PM Reply With Quote
Nope that's very helpful thanks Dave. I have a pair of Bedford van seats waiting to be fitted but if I can find something better/easier I'll use it as the van seats will need totally retrimming and some extra padding to make them seven sutiable, whereas there must be several motors in the scrappie right now with leather upholstered centre armrest-equipped rear seats just waiting to be transformed into seats for a seven. I'll have a look soon!

chrisg

posted on 9/8/03 at 02:55 PM Reply With Quote
dave,

I noticed you have adjustable head rests, do you, perchance, have an adjustable head?

Cheers

Chris

Note to all: I really don't know when to leave well alone. I tried to get clever with the mods, then when they gave me a lifeline to see the error of my ways, I tried to incite more trouble via u2u. So now I'm banned, never to return again. They should have done it years ago!

Dave Ashurst

posted on 10/8/03 at 08:44 AM Reply With Quote
Chris,

Yes I do actually! (Oh very perceptive. And I bet you were just about to predict my short legs and long arms too. I can't believe you could be so cruel.)

OK its a fair cop. They aren't high enough to be proper headrests for big people of course. They want to extend quite a bit higher. But if they could then they would put too much leverage on the plywood to offer much protection.

I thought about splicing in extensions and adding bigger steel anchor plates. But I left them. It wouldn't be that difficult but then I'm bone idle you see.

Just for comfort they're OK as they are. Especially in the relaxed semi-recumbent driving position I have to adopt to reach the pedals.

Dave

[Edited on 10/8/03 by Dave Ashurst]

ChrisW

posted on 10/8/03 at 12:19 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
there must be several motors in the scrappie right now with leather upholstered centre armrest-equipped rear seats

I've got a Granada rear bench seat in black leather in the garage perfect for this kind of transformation! £20 if you collect?

Chris

My gaff my rules

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Browser

posted on 10/8/03 at 11:04 PM Reply With Quote
Sounds tempting but my place of employ lies next door to three scrapyards, with 2 more just down the road and one of the ones next to work has a good turnover of cars plus it has a lot of new models in (come to think of it there's a couple of Jags in there) so I'll probably be able to get summat from there. Thanks for the offer though, maybe someone else'll take it?

ChrisW

posted on 11/8/03 at 12:20 AM Reply With Quote
With that many scrappies around if you see a phase 2 Pug 306 grab me the bonnet! Those cars are like rocking horse poo around here.

Chris

My gaff my rules

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Mark Allanson

posted on 11/8/03 at 07:54 PM Reply With Quote
Chris,
I am still looking for you, not forgotten

Browser

posted on 12/8/03 at 12:51 AM Reply With Quote
Please excuse my encyclopaedic knowledge failing me but from what year were the phase 2s made?

Mark Allanson

posted on 12/8/03 at 06:44 AM Reply With Quote
Mk2's from mid April 1997, look for integral indicator/headlamps

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.