Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Harness fixings... what do I need?
Jumpy Guy

posted on 1/9/03 at 12:21 PM Reply With Quote
Harness fixings... what do I need?

I bought my harnesses second hand, so dont have instructions... or SVA, so..
- I have flat bar type mounts, rather than the clip type, and Ive welded in 3mm plate where appropraite.
So, do I have to have captive type mountings on the bottom mounts, eg welded on nuts, or can I use a normal high tensile 10 mm bolt, washers and lock nuts?
I intend to mount the top mounts on the roll bar horizontal

timf

posted on 1/9/03 at 01:22 PM Reply With Quote
you need 7/16 unf bolts and nuts welded to the mounting points
Rorty

posted on 2/9/03 at 02:45 AM Reply With Quote
Captive nuts may make it more convenient, but i doubt if it would be a SVA requirement.
You could always remove the special seat belt bolts (thin domed heads) and crush tubes from a wreckers. That way, your belts will swivel in the direction of tension. That doesn't always happen with fixed bolted belts.....until an accident. All of a sudden, they can align with the direction of tension, sometimes lengthening the belt in the process!

Cheers, Rorty.

"Faster than a speeding Pullet".

PLEASE DON'T U2U ME IF YOU WANT A QUICK RESPONSE. TRY EMAILING ME INSTEAD!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
David Jenkins

posted on 2/9/03 at 07:59 AM Reply With Quote
Someone on here checked with their local SVA place - captive bolts aren't a requirement, but they are convenient.

What is a requirement is a solid mounting point - they will be looking for strong mountings on structural chassis members (there are diagrams in the SVA manual). This means spreader plates, thick backing plates, or similar, fixed into the spaceframe with plenty of good welding.

cheers,

David

Peteff

posted on 2/9/03 at 11:18 AM Reply With Quote
I ran a 12mm drill through the crush tubes, it only takes a fine shave off them, and then used M12 bolts with nyloc nuts as unless you take part of the old car inner sill the 7/16 unf nut goes with it.

yours, Pete.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

Jumpy Guy

posted on 3/9/03 at 07:17 AM Reply With Quote
OK, I give in- what the feck is a crush tube?

Surely you'd want 'Never crush' tubes?
Peteff

posted on 3/9/03 at 07:59 AM Reply With Quote
It's a circular tube with shoulder on it so the metal ends of the belt can swivel round and get lots of twists in them .

yours, Pete.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.