Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Cutting seat foam
Browser

posted on 3/9/03 at 11:50 AM Reply With Quote
Cutting seat foam

SInce I am exploring the option of reforming some production car seats for my car I was wondering what the best method was for cutting the seat foam, should this become necessary. A Stanley knife isn't really long enough to get a clean cut. I saw a guy use a sanding disc in a 4.5 inch grindr once to shape seat foam and it worked brilliantly but left a rather 'soft' finish whereas sometimes you need a sharper corner. As far as I know, anyone in any industry which does this uses hot wire cutters, is it possible to make such an item? Lots of questions, I know, but usually there's someone infinitely cleverer than me on here who can supply an answer of some sort

A Badger

posted on 3/9/03 at 12:55 PM Reply With Quote
On on the DIY progs they use an electric carving knife for slicing through thick foam.

Andrew

steve m

posted on 3/9/03 at 01:11 PM Reply With Quote
I used the bread knife from the kitchen drawer
Being about a foot long with large serrated teeth it will go thru any foam with ease

I did wash it before placing back in the drawer !!

JoelP

posted on 3/9/03 at 01:20 PM Reply With Quote
I bought some seat foam in the market (leeds) once, that fella had a very odd device like a jigsaw with a leg to stand on, he said a hot wire melts it and can leave sharpish bits, the cut on my bit was perfect, even though i never ended up using it. Maybe if you buy it in a place like that you could persuade the chappy to chop it up for you? Failing that, as our learned friends point out, a carving knife is quite adequate. or maybe a super sharp unserrated knife...
Surrey Dave

posted on 3/9/03 at 01:28 PM Reply With Quote
Cutting Foam

Electric carving knife is great ........................................My Turkey has never tasted the same since..........................
Peteff

posted on 3/9/03 at 01:55 PM Reply With Quote
I use the unserrated breadknife recommended by Joel and it works for me. The electric carving knife is the usual method, seen it done by upholsterer down the road.

yours, Pete.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

timf

posted on 3/9/03 at 02:04 PM Reply With Quote
you can make a hot wire cutter using a 12v battery and some stainless steel lock wire the lockwire is mounted in a 'bow' arrangement and either end is connected to the battery.

safety warning: the melting of the foam gives off some very nasty fumes best not inhaled. also the wire will be hot enough to burn.

stephen_gusterson

posted on 3/9/03 at 02:22 PM Reply With Quote
Also, the wire being an effective short on the battery, might encourage it to explode.

Id suggest using smallish wire to start with, and work up if it vapourises, and keep the bettery away from you whilst doing all this.

atb

steve

RoadkillUK

posted on 3/9/03 at 05:47 PM Reply With Quote
I just cut down one of my seats last night, all I had in the house was a 'small' pair of scissors and a sharpened 'butter knife'

I hacked the bits off that I didn't want, it didn't look very pretty but when I stretched the luxurious leather back over the seat and stuck it on the back of the wood, you can't even tell it's been hacked.

Please note that the seat isn't finished and the wire from the side is for the heating element

Roadkill - Lee
www.bradford7.co.uk
Latest Picture (14 Sept 2014)

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Stu16v

posted on 3/9/03 at 09:10 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

and the wire from the side is for the heating element

I think you have enough complications with the satnav, aircon, reversing sensors, EBS, SRS, and traction control without worrying about heated seats....

Just kidding.......

Dont just build it.....make it!

Martin Sports Car

posted on 3/9/03 at 09:50 PM Reply With Quote
Use the same that I produced in Fiber Glass, them cover with something, they will be very comfortable and have nice shape.

Best Regards
Joćo Martins
www.martinsportscar.com Rescued attachment Picture 136.jpg
Rescued attachment Picture 136.jpg

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.