Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Ivory-faced instrument overlays
carcentric

posted on 1/10/03 at 03:02 AM Reply With Quote
Ivory-faced instrument overlays

Would anyone on this forum have the capability of making overlays for stock instruments to give them a vintage look?

I'm willing to give it a try myself if someone can tell me what material is used and how to install the overlays without destroying the instruments.

[Edited on 1/10/03 by carcentric]

M D "Doc" Nugent
http://www.carcentric.com

MK9R

posted on 1/10/03 at 07:30 AM Reply With Quote
Have a look here, i'm going to do the same sort of thing.

Guage faces

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.automatedtechnologygroup.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
MikeP

posted on 1/10/03 at 04:45 PM Reply With Quote
Good thread on the material for the overlays, very helpful. I've played around with an overlay for my own instruments (corolla GTS), and it looks do-able now that I've seen that overlay thread.

I used Turbocad to draw up the instrument faces, playing around with fonts, positioning and marks until I got what I liked. Then I printed them on regular paper to get a feel for how they would fit. You can get the 2D (learning) version of turbocad for free from www.imsisoft.com.

On the instruments that I've seen (tach and speed), the needles come off with a bit of gentle pulling, and push back on after (make sure you push them on at the zero position). There's plenty of space for the paper overlay, I except so for some of the other choices too.

I used a hollow punch to make the holes for the needle.

HTH.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Rob Lane

posted on 7/10/03 at 09:09 AM Reply With Quote
Lockwood, who make coloured replacement dials for road cars etc. Recommend the use of two teaspoons as levers for needle. Place one on each side with bowl down, tips under needle and press down on handles, works great and no effort.

They make their dials from celluloid but I'm sure you could use OHP Film.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.