Board logo

Pulling out r1 motor
0hooters0 - 9/2/12 at 08:49 PM

Hi.The time has come to pull the R1 motor ( 5jj ) out of my MNR vortx to repair the slipping 2nd gear.I am Just looking for some old posts to help with removing the motor as I did not build the car and have no build manual .

Coopz - 9/2/12 at 09:00 PM

Just get a hammer the removal of the engine shouldn't be too hard at all just make sure you label up all the connections and when refitting just work in reverse. You have your fuel lines, prop, coolant hoses, clutch and throttle cable, wiring harness to unplug, I also find taking some pictures on your camera helps as a reference. Maybe empty the oil as well as the coolant so you can do an oil/filter change when putting it back in.

Any problems just ask

ReMan - 9/2/12 at 09:05 PM

If it's an item attached to the engine, unscrew, unbolt, unclip it
have the engines weight held by a crane or hoist
Take out the bolts that ar attaching the engine to the car
Lift out

Toprivetguns - 9/2/12 at 09:58 PM

Mark every connector you split and every bolt you remove if your unsure. Pictures always help along with masking tape.

matt_gsxr - 9/2/12 at 10:17 PM

Instructions:

Stop engine.
Get out of car.
Disconnect battery.
Disconnect everything from engine.
Support engine.
Disconnect engine from car.
Lift engine.

Re-installation is the reverse of removal.

jimgiblett - 10/2/12 at 12:02 PM

quote:
Originally posted by matt_gsxr
Instructions:

Stop engine.
Get out of car.
Disconnect battery.
Disconnect everything from engine.
Support engine.
Disconnect engine from car.
Lift engine.

Re-installation is the reverse of removal.

As part of the re-installation dont forget to replace all fluids that escape and parts that break during removal.

Seriously though label everything which isnt completely obvious and lots of pictures.

- Jim

0hooters0 - 10/2/12 at 07:27 PM

Started striping it down to day about 3 hours so far so much wiring tucked away but all marked up and out of the way.All fluids drained not to sure how to disconnect throttle cable from cab's and having trouble reaching the exhaust manifold nuts so far not to bad .Thanks for your help

HOL - 15/2/12 at 10:50 AM

Im in Lordswood if you need a hand lifting it out.

I have a hoist, although I dont think you'll need it. They are not heavy.