Board logo

berkeley T60
Volvorsport - 30/3/12 at 06:20 PM

Anybody want to offer any info they have about there experiences with berkeleys ?

im quite interested in a replica , the big bonus is the composite construction which is something i want to do ....

britishtrident - 30/3/12 at 08:11 PM

I lived across the road from a guy who had an blue-green one looked like the biz in crude sort of a way ---- trouble was I was 8 yrs old at the time so not much more info

v8kid - 30/3/12 at 08:19 PM

3 cylinder 2 stroke IIRC smooth as silk (excelsior ?), front wheel drive, always wanted one

ReMan - 30/3/12 at 09:23 PM

Twin
700 Enfield engines were the BEC of the day

[Edited on 30/3/12 by ReMan]

splitrivet - 31/3/12 at 09:35 AM

quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident
I lived across the road from a guy who had an blue-green one looked like the biz in crude sort of a way ---- trouble was I was 8 yrs old at the time so not much more info

Same here they had the styling of an E type and the power of a hedge trimmer.
Cheers,
Bob

40inches - 31/3/12 at 09:38 AM

I had one in the mid 60's, had a Royal Enfield twin of indeterminable capacity, had to lift the engine cover and stick a leg in to kick start it. Went like stink but very easy to get on 2 wheels, or was that just the way I drove it 17 year old with only a motorcycle licence

iank - 31/3/12 at 09:59 AM

I've always quite liked this 4 wheel re-interpretation (from a Berkeley fan)

http://www.minimarcos.org.uk/altpics/camarotta/index.html

andylancaster3000 - 31/3/12 at 11:16 AM

My dad had one when he was sixteen and built it as his first car (to run on a bike licence)

I believe he swapped the original engine and subframe for one with 600(honda maybe) and grafted an mg hardtop onto it. Will quiz him on it further

Volvorsport - 1/4/12 at 09:21 PM

i went here today to look at one , gave me plenty of inspiration from other microcars too ....

www.bubblecarmuseum.co.uk

Peteff - 2/4/12 at 08:44 AM

quote:
Originally posted by 40inches
I had one in the mid 60's, had a Royal Enfield twin of indeterminable capacity, had to lift the engine cover and stick a leg in to kick start it. Went like stink but very easy to get on 2 wheels, or was that just the way I drove it 17 year old with only a motorcycle licence

A friend of mine's dad had one in like a powder blue colour. I think that had a Villiers engine in it and when you got to the top of the drive you had to pick the back end up and turn it round to come back (we weren't old enough to go on the road.

pewe - 2/4/12 at 09:01 AM

Mate stuck a Triumph 650 twin in his.
As above ^^ went like stink but folded up pretty quickly when he had an argument with a tin-top!
Cheers, Pewe10

Surrey Dave - 2/4/12 at 09:42 AM

My 1st car was a BMW Issetta 300cc. went to school in an had great fun and started a bit of a trend in my area!

I always loved the Berkeley ,but couldn't afford one, a modern take on that would be a good kit , it had a nice sleek body.

Also didn't they have British Anzani engines as well, that was probably the weak link back then , but today with a 4 stroke 600c it would be great.

Youtube Berkeley!!

[Edited on 2/4/12 by Surrey Dave]