Board logo

3 or 4 wheels ?
Volvorsport - 31/12/12 at 03:37 PM

well i need to make a decision , since im either going to sell what i have , or build it into something .

i want to build something that will commute me to work and easy to build.

fwd car engine 3 wheeler
fwd car engine 4 wheeler
Mid car engine 4 wheeler

this would be using all one donor vehicle , a supermini of the japanese variety .

this is the bodywork ive got to use....

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/mj.slater2/sylva1.JPG

chassis will be grp , with a roof in a coupe style....

why 3 or 4 wheels ? well , i could easily make it 4 wheeled for not much more money work for the added stability....

as a trike it comes under MSVA so is much easier to get on the road....

smart51 - 31/12/12 at 09:50 PM

I would suggest you only build a three wheeler if you want a three wheeler. The pain of IVA will soon be forgotten but you'll have to live with the car for a long time. That said, I loved driving my three to the MSVA which was a less involved test than my four wheel SVA a few years ago. I can't wait for the DVLA of give me number plates so I can see what's what but I intended to build a three right from the start.

Volvorsport - 22/8/13 at 05:42 PM

right , i think i have a clearer plan...

ive got my front running gear sorted for a couple hundred .

for the rear i can cut up the rear beam to make the single wheel or do i use the rear wheEl that comes from the bike engine i plan to use .

the advantage of the bike trailing arm is the monoshock mount which means less of a chassis to build further back .

oh and thats the next dilemma , GRP chassis with some steel mounting reinforcements , OR a complete box section chassis 40x40 x 3 , weve got loads at work !!!

[Edited on 22/8/13 by Volvorsport]

rick1962uk - 22/8/13 at 07:39 PM

i had to put a clutch in a grinnell and to be honest i thought it was a death trap it tramlined like a pig and i was right after picking it up from me the customer drove it a bit hard and on the way home went over a brow of a hill and totaly lost it and wrote it off and almost himself im not saying they are all the same but i would have a go in one on a road first
its as soon as the rear centre wheel goes over the road centreline it gets scary

Volvorsport - 28/9/13 at 05:27 PM

well , my 20 hp engine and gearbox have turned up .

im still thinking of 3 wheels , but im not sure , all in the interests of an economy special , including the build !!

Mr Whippy - 28/9/13 at 05:36 PM

That shell on three wheels? good chance it would look very odd at the back plus all the hacking of the body etc for what?

20 hp, you missing a zero? that's how much my lawn mower has, even an austin 7 had more and that only did 40mph

[Edited on 28/9/13 by Mr Whippy]

Volvorsport - 28/9/13 at 05:52 PM

Lol.

if it has 4 wheels then yes . 3 wheels and it will be different

Volvorsport - 30/11/14 at 05:32 PM

Looks like its going to be a 4 wheeled economy hybrid special.....that may eventually be bike powered

Volvorsport - 22/12/14 at 12:28 AM

well ive bought all my running gear for £100.... and yes its 4 wheels , and includes some of the chassis too..

HowardB - 22/12/14 at 08:39 AM

you said was from a Japanese super mini,... a Tamiya?

lol

Volvorsport - 22/12/14 at 10:11 AM

I've changed manufacturer, its French.

that was a good idea tho��