Board logo

Two questions re vintage three-wheelers
carcentric - 22/7/15 at 05:34 AM

1. What other companies (besides Morgan) manufactured reverse trikes with exposed engines during that era?

2. Did the British ever build a three-wheeler similar to the 1931-34 Goliath Pionier (cabrio version below)? If so, what was it called?

Thanks.

r1_pete - 22/7/15 at 06:29 AM

BSA Built several reverse 3 wheelers. Also try Googling JAP Engine cars

Bond built cars similar to the one in your picture, Google 'Bond Minicar' and 'Early Reliant'.

[Edited on 22/7/15 by r1_pete]

JMW - 22/7/15 at 08:33 AM

quote:
Originally posted by r1_pete
BSA Built several reverse 3 wheelers. Also try Googling JAP Engine cars

I know you know r1_Pete, and lots of others do as well, but just in case someone doesn't, JAP means J.A.Prestwich not Japanese in this context. Wonderful engines, especially the big V-twins. On that note Morgan also put V-twin Matchless engines in their 3-wheelers, and probably other makes as well.

Sam_68 - 22/7/15 at 10:35 AM

Fill ya boots:

http://www.3wheelers.com/azlist1.html

carcentric - 22/7/15 at 05:35 PM

Thanks for the leads/links! Couldn't sleep last night, so I looked up every A-Z trike made between 1900 and 1939 . . . .

Seems the Raleigh Safety Seven is the closest in appearance to the Goliath Pionier, but I could find no examples of exposed-engine reverse trikes with anything other than a V-twin engine (I was hoping to find an air-cooled transverse inline four-banger such as my '82 Suzuki GS650 has).

This forum has been a most valuable resource for me!