Board logo

MSVA trike lighting question
dan8400 - 30/4/18 at 06:40 AM

Hi everyone,

I am wiring my reverse trike and am using 99% of the bike wiring loom. I am basically extending all the wires from the loom to the dash area for new switches etc.

Question is: the bike lights come on with ignition. Is this ok for MSVA? Should I rewire this? Or is it ok to have side lights/headlights come on with ignition (like an old Volvo)

Any thoughts?

Thanks
Dan

dan8400 - 9/5/18 at 08:59 AM

Does anybody know the answer?

Thanks
Dan

russbost - 1/8/18 at 06:32 PM

Hi Dan, I'm new to the Trike regs, but having read the MSVA manual so far as I can see there is no requirement to be able to switch sidelamps separately, in other words, no requirement for a parking light. When sidelights are turned on (with ignition if that's how they are) the way I read it is that they must all be illuminated, front & rear & that includes the no. plate light & that they should operate a tell tale light, OR the instrument lights are always on when sidelamps are lit.

You may of course decide you'd like to have parking lights in which case a switch from a permanent feed could be put into the sidelight circuit, just add a diode in the ignition live wire so it can't back feed to the ignition