Board logo

Wrong fuel
LBMEFM - 22/9/17 at 05:25 AM

In a hurry yesterday proceeded to put £18 worth of petrol in my diesel Renault Master van before realising my error, topped it up with £40 of diesel. What do you think, should there be any problems.

wowblaauw - 22/9/17 at 05:30 AM

Found this a article for you:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/caradvice/honestjohn/10450126/What-happens-if-I-put-petrol-in-my-diesel-car.html

Ben_Copeland - 22/9/17 at 05:51 AM

Depends how old it is. New diesels don’t like any petrol, older diesels don’t care too much. Tbh my boss did the same and was fine, but was about 7 years ago lol

LBMEFM - 22/9/17 at 06:22 AM

It is a 2005 2.5dci van

mark chandler - 22/9/17 at 06:55 AM

I did the same on my D5 Volvo, just filled it to the top with diesel to thin the mix, after a couple of hundred miles topped it off again.

It did not clatter, seemed a bit faster if anything!

Engine was fine, you can add a little protection by dropping in 200ml of two stroke oil which will lubricate the moving parts.

Ben_Copeland - 22/9/17 at 06:57 AM

If you’ve driven it, it’s too late anyway. So just keep brimming it with diesel for a while

LBMEFM - 22/9/17 at 07:24 AM

Cheers guys, what a stupid thing to do, I have always thought how can anyone possible put the wrong fuel in, now I know. Thanks again.

nick205 - 22/9/17 at 08:16 AM

I did the same as you in an old 205 diesel many years ago and it survived fine (courtesy car BTW).

I filled a 2007 Passat TDI from empty to the brim with petrol a couple of years back. Didn't realise what I'd done! The car got 300 yards before the engine stopped dead. Had a local garage recover it, drain and refill with diesel. The car was fine thereafter. On the other hand SWMBO has never let me forget my error.

Mash - 22/9/17 at 09:33 AM

Did the same with my 57 plate Mk7 Transit 4 weeks ago, but over half filled it before I realised

Started it and drove it away from the pumps, and then rang Green Flag, who are my recovery people, and they said it was covered. Bloke was there within 30 minutes and took the lot out, and then I refilled to the brim with diesel. He reckoned you'd probably get away with it for a bit but then it would stop. Said he'd been called out to people that had driven it till it stopped, then left it for a bit, then driven it again till it stopped!

So I reckon with the amount you put in you'll probably be fine

I've been driving for 38 years, and it's the first time I've ever done it It cost me 160 quid to fill it up that day

Must be my age

nick205 - 22/9/17 at 11:20 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Mash
Did the same with my 57 plate Mk7 Transit 4 weeks ago, but over half filled it before I realised

Started it and drove it away from the pumps, and then rang Green Flag, who are my recovery people, and they said it was covered. Bloke was there within 30 minutes and took the lot out, and then I refilled to the brim with diesel. He reckoned you'd probably get away with it for a bit but then it would stop. Said he'd been called out to people that had driven it till it stopped, then left it for a bit, then driven it again till it stopped!

So I reckon with the amount you put in you'll probably be fine

I've been driving for 38 years, and it's the first time I've ever done it It cost me 160 quid to fill it up that day

Must be my age

I wouldn't worry about making a mistake - lots of people do it!

I also have a suspicion that the "potential damage" risk is overplayed too. I know a number of people who've done it (mainly petrol in a diesel car) and aside from the cost and hassle of having drained and replaced I've not come across anyone who's done any damage to their engine.

ian locostzx9rc2 - 22/9/17 at 03:11 PM

You will properly get away with it keep topping it up but the damage to the injection pump may not rear its ugly head for months if ever as for anyone thinking it's ok it really isn't if see high pressure pumps that have self destructed due to misfuelling and also the damage it can do to the rest of the system very easy to scrap a car if it all fails

Jenko - 22/9/17 at 05:05 PM

So.......the question everyone want's to ask.....is it for sale, and how much would you take for it :-)

God, Im funny!......

ian locostzx9rc2 - 22/9/17 at 05:35 PM

Possibly soon !!!!

chris - 22/9/17 at 08:12 PM

i had a vivaro 2004 i had put thirty pound in before i realised i had the petrol pump in my hand so brimmed the tank with diesel it ran ok just smelt of petrol for a while i did keep topping up with diesel to water down the petrol eventually the petrol smell went away

alfiebeard - 22/9/17 at 08:29 PM

Should be fine..... Common Rail Diesel Pumps have ceramic liners which without diesel to lubricate them they can start to break up causing shards of ceramic to enter the injectors which basically get bead blasted destroying them.

The best thing to do is remove all the fuel and change the filter fill up and keep it topped up. but if this is not possible put as much diesel as you can in and a 1/2 litre of two stroke oil (not synthetic) and all will be fine. in fact a lot of the lads on the Jaguar and Mercedes Forums regularly use 2 stroke in there diesels and swear it makes them run quieter.

Alfie