Board logo

Bike engine reading codes
russbost - 15/3/18 at 09:12 AM

Just wondered if anyone has used a conversion lead to connect a "normal" car type OBD code reader to a bike engine diagnostic port using one of the conversion leads available with any success? (Kawasaki if it makes a difference)

Will the reader "recognise" a bike ECU as against a car one, will it allow you to clear codes & is the information presented in a readable logical understandable fashion or do you just get presented with lines of code or similar?

Alternatively has anyone used one of the cheap(ish) motorcycle code readers such as this on Ebay

Ebay Link

& are they any good?

Any info much appreciated, just want to be able to read & clear codes, I don't particularly need live data etc

fazerruss - 15/3/18 at 06:55 PM

I use my normal car reader on my bike and it reads code fine. The reader is a foxwell nt600 and my bike is a triumph st1050. It has a standard obd connection in the fairing.

Andy W - 15/3/18 at 07:19 PM

On my ZX10 engine, you earth a wire on the loom.
The fault light, then produces a series of long and short flashes
This combination then gives the fault
One of the reasons I wanted to use the bike clocks

Andy

twybrow - 17/3/18 at 04:14 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Andy W
On my ZX10 engine, you earth a wire on the loom.
The fault light, then produces a series of long and short flashes
This combination then gives the fault
One of the reasons I wanted to use the bike clocks

Andy

Same on my ZX12 engine. I don't use the original clocks, so I just wired in an EFI warning light. Ground the yellow lead, and it goes into diagnostic mode on a Kwak.

russbost - 18/3/18 at 02:55 PM

Thanks for the input, have ordered a lead, will see how it goes