Board logo

Full Carbon Body
b14wrc - 26/4/17 at 11:28 AM

Hi All,

I have done some rough calculations and come up with what I think I need for the outer and inner skin surfaces of my whole cars body work, this will be a twill weave carbon fibre, I plan to add other layers of biax in either Glass or Carbon. I will be making some test panels eventually to see how stiff they come out with a few different architectures I have been thinking about and also I can check the final made weights.

I've come up with a figure of around 20 - 22 m2 with a healthy margin.

Question is, has anyone else done a full carbon body for this type of car and what surface area did you find you needed? Does it sound about right? I have ordered 20m of carbon which is 1250mm wide - so I'll have 25m2 to play with. Ideally this will only be used on visible parts only, so the inside of my rear diffuser for example, could be left in a carbon Biax as it wont be seen, but the underside will be in Twill as you will see it - if that makes sense.

My side panels will be monolithic sheets, but the bonnet and rear clam shell will have a core. I'm pretty sure it will be enough, I am just looking for a little encouragement, its expensive stuff, I'm not ready to do it yet, but starting to buy the stock now will reduce the cost impact further down the line, plus I can do some development work, I'll be infusing it, so I can trial my set up and methods.

Rob

Ugg10 - 26/4/17 at 02:05 PM

There is a guy on Pistonheads (Andygtt IIRC is his user name) that re-built his Nobel M12 tub and body in carbon (also had a 700hp engine!), may be worth making contact with him.

big_wasa - 26/4/17 at 05:59 PM

He is on here as well.

daniel mason - 26/4/17 at 06:03 PM

Andrew Jackson made his whole body himself in his garage. Have a look at that!

Kdempsie - 26/4/17 at 06:22 PM

Have a look here http://www.talkcomposites.com/9255/Westfield-parts-from-a-newbie

A friend of mine has now done most of his Westfield in carbon fibre, he made a terrific job of it but it takes quite a bit of time and effort.

Keith

Hodor - 26/4/17 at 08:38 PM

That takes some commitment! Some great looking parts there. Would be good to know the final vs. initial car weight as well. Is he finished?

Ugg10 - 26/4/17 at 08:45 PM

Always liked the idea of a sandwich composite monocoque seven chassis getting rid if the steel chassis. Iirc sculptural engineering (also larini / ballista makers) looked into doing it using racing yacht techniques.