Board logo

Top gear
Shooter63 - 29/5/16 at 07:09 PM

Well 10mins in, same load of old crap , different people.

Shooter

Furyous - 29/5/16 at 07:30 PM

I just turned it on 5 minutes ago. Matt Le Blanc seems mumbly and shy, like he always does. Chris Evans seems try-hard. Ramsay and Eisenberg seem very forced and entirely scripted.

sdh2903 - 29/5/16 at 07:38 PM

Why have they stuck to pretty much the same format? It's pretty much the same. Even the same phrases. The 3 idiots could get away with it as they at least had chemistry and could actually present without jumping around like a tit.

When does the Harris bloke pitch up?

Edit. 40mins in. They've not made it the same, they've made it worse.

[Edited on 29/5/16 by sdh2903]

JC - 29/5/16 at 08:05 PM

Evans 6/10 - might get better
Le Blanc 1/10 Wooden and annoying
Sabine 0/10 just annoying

Overall, too scripted, not natural. However, watch series 1 of the Clarkson version and it was much the same...

sonic - 29/5/16 at 08:06 PM

Well I enjoyed most of it, it was good to have a change in presenters I think

JC - 29/5/16 at 08:19 PM

Just watched 10 mins of extra gear - much better! Sack Le Blanc and use Reid and Harris!

big_wasa - 29/5/16 at 08:19 PM

Out in the garage with "the tool" and the welder, I knew I had forgotten somthing. Maybe I will give it a look in the morning.

ian locostzx9rc2 - 29/5/16 at 08:31 PM

I thought it was ok surprised it's like the old formula but will see how it pans out over the next week or so.

morcus - 29/5/16 at 08:31 PM

as above, way to close to the previous incarnation but with more shouting.

ianhurley20 - 29/5/16 at 08:43 PM

I thought this was supposed to be a British show, too much canned laughter for me, Sabine was fine in her limited role, Evans - STOP SHOUTING! Matt thingy, why have they got him in the show????
I will watch it but it no longer leaves me, or my wife, in fits of giggles anymore
perhaps its the lack of Bungle George and Zippy?

I'll watch another episode or two but if its as - er - good - as this one ...........?

gremlin1234 - 29/5/16 at 09:19 PM

quote:
Matt thingy, why have they got him in the show????
'cause it makes it very easy to sell in America

bi22le - 29/5/16 at 09:38 PM

It was like watching a Christmas special!

I'll watch a couple more if i have time.

I did not watch any of the Chris Harris one. Did he even get to drive a car?

james h - 29/5/16 at 10:27 PM

The Top Gear Extra was much better, although it still felt a little scripted. Chris Harris did a lap in the Ariel Nomad.

LBMEFM - 30/5/16 at 03:17 AM

Let's face it TG has had it's day, please BBC just put it and us out of our misery.

Matt21 - 30/5/16 at 07:52 AM

Evans - Still an idiot. I'm sure hes going to be done as a sex offender some time in the future....

Matt - seemed very reserved and shy? he may settle but I don't think it's the right show for him

Extra gear was better, but harris didnt seem happy to me? on the interviews he was quite short with his answers, though I like that he was honest about what he didnt like. Rory was pretty scripted but he is new to it all

Overall, not impressed.

zetec - 30/5/16 at 08:25 AM

It wont work with just those two on each week, love or hate the old three they did work well together. Why they have a guest on who is not funny and has zero interest in cars is a little beyond me too.

bi22le - 30/5/16 at 08:45 AM

quote:
Originally posted by zetec
It wont work with just those two on each week, love or hate the old three they did work well together. Why they have a guest on who is not funny and has zero interest in cars is a little beyond me too.

I thought that. Jesse Eisenberg did not give too hoots about cars. There are many famous people with great antidotes and experience on cars, instead a guy that is promoting his latest thing.

The celebs dont even have to be funny. I would rather listed to a footballer telling stories that he has crashed 100K cars too often and now gets cabs. Or budding 13 year old racing drivers lap fast in their formula fords.

Hey ho. We will see what content they have coming up but I doubt its going to be much different from before.

twybrow - 30/5/16 at 08:58 AM

The stars in the car bit was very odd. No introduction to the car or new track, and two completely disconnected celebs one of which had zero passion for cars. What was ghe connection between thr two of them? Very odd as it was just so plainly scripted and awkward.

The features were ok, but very contrived and followed the same formula with more awkward presenting. I actually thought Matt LB was good on his own in the features, but not as a double act in the studio with Evans. I was hoping for something with a fresher feel but what we got felt stale. I really hope it gets better, just as series 1 of Clarkson's Top Gear did.

Cubby - 30/5/16 at 09:09 AM

Same rubbish different people.
Agreed Chris Evans is completely annoying.
Matt Le Planc seemed boring.
Dont know why they didnt change the format.

Who would you change Evans and Le Planc with?

How about replacing Le Planc with Brian Johnson?

zetec - 30/5/16 at 09:18 AM

Just watched Extra Gear and was better than the main show!

Got to say Fifth Gear is a lot more watchable, plenty of good drivers who don't take themselves too serious and lots of different content. Bet their budget is a fraction of TG.

sdh2903 - 30/5/16 at 09:54 AM

I actually don't think the beeb have done themselves any favours by hanging onto the top gear brand. No matter what anybody did it was only going to be compared to old top gear. I appreciate it's a global name and did make the bbc good money but it's going to be a poison challis for whoever takes it on. They had a perfect opportunity to make a clean break and instead copied the old format completely and tried to hide that fact with a shouty bloke and a (poor) American actor.

On last night's showing I'd be amazed if it got to a second series.

craig1410 - 30/5/16 at 10:23 AM

I've not watched it yet but the above is pretty much what I expected to hear after the first show. You've got to bear in mind that there are two types of viewer out there, those who liked the old format/presenters and those didn't. It's almost impossible to please both of those in the relaunch.

If they do have plans to change the format then it's probably not a terrible idea to start with something familiar and gently shape it to the new format over the course of the season. That said, 95% of the people are the same with only the 3 old presenters and a producer having departed. There may be a few others but the point being that the production team is largely the same.

Give them a chance to make the show their own I'd say. It'll take time. Just imagine how you might feel doing your first episode on a show as hyped up as this. You're hardly going to be at the top of your game until you've done a few episodes. At least the presenters are all genuine petrol-heads right from the start.

morcus - 30/5/16 at 10:33 AM

Beyond the nomad did they actually show any cars that are currently forsale in the UK (Not counting the Rally cross mini as they almost went out of there way to not talk about it)?

Topgear extra was much better. Take leaf out of Redbulls book and swap the presenters around.

Final note, I was promised Eddie Jordan.

Furyous - 30/5/16 at 10:34 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Cubby

How about replacing Le Planc with Brian Johnson?

I misread that as Boris. That would be a more interesting programme!

02GF74 - 30/5/16 at 10:56 AM

What was most disappointing is the audience looking miserable and uninterested yet being forced to laugh. At least in old TG they seemed more relaxed and happy to be there.

oh yeah, and as already pointed out CE is most annoying and MtW is not a natural presenter.

... and on that bombshell ...

scootz - 30/5/16 at 11:02 AM

Pretty much the same as the old TG, but it doesn't have the 3 Stooges (and Hammond in particular), so it's already better!

Didn't realise I disliked Clarkson and Hammond quite so much!

MikeRJ - 30/5/16 at 11:54 AM

Why did Evans have such a bizarre hair style? Surely the top of his head is the last thing he should be drawing attention to?

Very disappointed they stuck to the old format, it should have been obvious that it wasn't going to work with all new presenters. It's as predictable and contrived as it always was, but now they've also removed the entertainment and added an annoying shouty ginger.

[Edited on 30/5/16 by MikeRJ]

sonic - 30/5/16 at 04:51 PM

Where can this Top gear extra be viewed, have I missed something.

I think Chris Evans is better on the radio, never really liked watching him on tely

Sam_68 - 30/5/16 at 04:58 PM

quote:
Originally posted by sonic
Where can this Top gear extra be viewed, have I missed something.

BBC3, or available on iPlayer

big_wasa - 30/5/16 at 05:13 PM

I like the Nomad, reminds me of the rc buggies I had as a kid.

Hmmmm replica .......

But yeh the Extra Gear was better than expected.

myke pocock - 30/5/16 at 07:11 PM

Bit of a yawn realy. I was expecting something a little different. Even had "some say"!!! Was it more expensive to employ another script write instead of using the old scripts. AND I am so glad that EJ wasnt in it. What a muppet. PLEASE dont use him too much. Even Sabine whatsername was boring.

cliftyhanger - 30/5/16 at 07:24 PM

Not exactly groundbreaking but then again I did quite like Joeys style. I am happy to give it time to sort itself out, but I hope they stop re-hashing the "same old" and come up with some more new ideas. And why does the ginger bloke keep shouting (or is it just poor sound/acoustics?) I will give it a few more weeks....

perksy - 30/5/16 at 07:36 PM

Hmmm Hopefully its a slow start and it will get better

Perhaps the characters need time to jel, but as has been said it was a bit "same old same old" and over scripted...

twybrow - 30/5/16 at 08:39 PM

Can we stop bashing Chris Evans for the colour of his hair please? Bash him because you don't like the show or his style, but can we stop slumping so low as to discriminate against his hair colour? My daughter has beautiful hair, and I don't relish the idea of her growing up in a country where hair colour is reason enough to discriminate.

phelpsa - 30/5/16 at 08:44 PM

Put Rory, Chris Harris and Matt Le Blanc together.

nick205 - 31/5/16 at 08:30 AM

Well, I've not read the full thread, but I have watched the new TG to see what it's like. Bearing in mind I liked the old TG and didn't mind the presenters either I'm not overly enamored (sp?) with the "new" TG - seems to be the same with presenters I'm not that keen on.

A shame IMHO that Chris Harris wan't in it as I do quite like his petrol head ethos and ability to make a half decent job of presenting it. I've watched a number of his YouTube episodes and found them quite good (personally).

I didn't enjoy the Mini section as I'm really not a Mini fan full stop. The cheap car being thrashed around the tarmac circuit was OK for me. I get the feeling they changed it to try and introduce something new - unnecessary and they could have picked a better car too IMHO. Have to say I do enjoy Ken Block thrashing a rally car about and some input from him would have helped this section for me.

Overall I don't think I'll rush to watch another episode now

Sam_68 - 31/5/16 at 09:53 AM

quote:
Originally posted by nick205
A shame IMHO that Chris Harris wasn't in it as I do quite like his petrol head ethos and ability to make a half decent job of presenting it. I've watched a number of his YouTube episodes and found them quite good (personally).

It's a shame there isn't the market for a 'serious' motoring programme, the way that TG used to be in the Chris Goffey days.

Sadly, the commercial success of the Clarkson era as an entertainment programme probably means that will never be possible, again.

loggyboy - 31/5/16 at 09:56 AM

I always watch TG with thought of rewatching them on Dave in a few years time, there are quite a few episodes I can watch over and over again.
My thoughts as the program ran.

Too much TFI friday with the way audience was set out and interacted with.
They intro'd MLB, but then didn't mention anyone else? It seemed to be billed as lots of new staff but then just jumped in to reviews.
I was hoping for a mass sit down in a 'top gear news' style with everyone introduced.
First segment Viper v Corvette - more silly testing/competition for non real world situations - this should have been a mid season filler.
Stig - i Lol'd at the stig custody comment. But MLB seemed unfamiliar with style he should be introduced, if they are gonna retain presenting styles it needs to be perfect, not half arsed.
2nd segment - it was at this point I was playing a game on my phone as I was loosing interest. Again, it seemed like a mid season filler - Surely if doing US vs UK thing, they should have used a US equiv of reliant, or if there isnt one chose another uk car that does have a US equivalent. Just seemed a nonsense, with no continuity or direction.
Star in a rally car - I don't mind the new rallycross format - makes a change although the previous format wasn't broken so seemed a silly change. My further concern i the mud its pulling on to the rest of the track making slippery for the normal testing.
Also - why not get lots of celebs on? like the previous series have done when they've changed cars. showing 10+ people doing the new track would have been a good intro to the new format.
3rd segment - Nomad test - not bad - probably best of a bad bunch, but why MLB again? where's Harris or the other new guy?
Back to blackpool - More averageness - had me on playing on my phone again with lack of interest.

I then watched the Extragear - and im suddenly rewarded with the TG i was hoping for. Rory Reid seemed a bit wooden but gotta give im a series to settle in. Harris seemed his usual likeable self.
They need to merge this in to the main program and they will be on to a winner.

[Edited on 31-5-16 by loggyboy]

nick205 - 31/5/16 at 10:25 AM

^^^

IMHO I'd rather have seen Chris Harris reviewing the Nomad. Whilst unobtainable (and impractical) for me it was certainly interesting to see it exercised. I do wonder if there would be a market out there for a build your own kit version - maybe not Ariel's thing, but it might be interesting for some to build.

Sam_68 - 31/5/16 at 10:43 AM

quote:
I do wonder if there would be a market out there for a build your own kit version - maybe not Ariel's thing, but it might be interesting for some to build.

I'm sure it's only a matter of time!

The Rotrax did very well in its day, and sand rails and dune buggies before that, so there certainly used to be a market for cheap, kit RV's.

Ugg10 - 31/5/16 at 11:10 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Sam_68
quote:
I do wonder if there would be a market out there for a build your own kit version - maybe not Ariel's thing, but it might be interesting for some to build.

The Rotrax did very well in its day, and sand rails and dune buggies before that, so there certainly used to be a market for cheap, kit RV's.

Take a look at blitsworld and animoto, toned down and not as stylish but build yourself. Also rage buggies are worth a look.

JoelP - 31/5/16 at 12:02 PM

quote:
Originally posted by twybrow
Can we stop bashing Chris Evans for the colour of his hair please? Bash him because you don't like the show or his style, but can we stop slumping so low as to discriminate against his hair colour? My daughter has beautiful hair, and I don't relish the idea of her growing up in a country where hair colour is reason enough to discriminate.

Ditto. It just seems like some people need to hate on something, anything. Then again, that's probably why political correctness takes such a bashing.

ianhurley20 - 31/5/16 at 02:58 PM

Well as I said earlier I don't like Mr Shouty in this at all but have now watched TG Extra and if they had put that out with non famous presenters like Rory and Chris I would have been much happier with the program altogether!
Perhaps they should have gone the cheap way and not gone for people who are 'names'

tweek - 31/5/16 at 03:31 PM

What struck me was that Chris Evans seemed a lot more bearable when he was being interviewed on Extra Gear!

I give the whole thing (Top + Extra) a 'not bad', it needs work and clearly more Chris Harris/Sabine Schmitz - they were the best bits by miles.

John

Irony - 31/5/16 at 04:12 PM

quote:
Originally posted by JoelP
quote:

Ditto. It just seems like some people need to hate on something, anything. Then again, that's probably why political correctness takes such a bashing.

Doesn't your signature bash people with tourettes?

jacko - 31/5/16 at 05:44 PM

Same sh*t different day
They had a chance to start it with a blank sheet but no same crap what a shame
jacko

coozer - 31/5/16 at 07:25 PM

quote:

Nothing wrong with his hair IMO. I had a grilfriend with the same mad hair, she was gorgeous, mad as box of frogs and well up for 'anything' ahem... Wish I still had her......

Doctor Derek Doctors - 31/5/16 at 08:32 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Sam_68
quote:

I'm already on it, watch this space.

woodster - 31/5/16 at 09:50 PM

quote:
Originally posted by ianhurley20
Well as I said earlier I don't like Mr Shouty in this at all but have now watched TG Extra and if they had put that out with non famous presenters like Rory and Chris I would have been much happier with the program altogether!
Perhaps they should have gone the cheap way and not gone for people who are 'names'

I watched TG extra tonight after reading your post and totally agree ..... In my opinion way better presenting and driving I highly recommend it and please bbc sack ginger and friends guy and replace with Rory and Chris

[Edited on 31/5/16 by woodster]

SteveWalker - 31/5/16 at 10:15 PM

I quite liked the new TG, but found Chris Evans irritating - as usual!

Matt le Blanc could, given time, turn out to be quite good.

There certainly wasn't any "chemistry" between CE and MLB, which is a big change after JC, RH and JM.

I must look for TGE on catch-up.

woodster - 1/6/16 at 09:16 PM

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3617569/Fans-say-Gear-spin-Extra-Gear-BETTER-main-event.html

loggyboy - 5/6/16 at 08:32 PM

Well that was better. Still a few niggles but reviews and africa challenges were much better.

[Edited on 6-6-16 by loggyboy]

adithorp - 6/6/16 at 06:39 AM

quote:
Originally posted by loggyboy
Well that was better. Still a few nigglea but reviews and africa challenges were much better.

Agreed. Still needs more polishing but much improoved.

scootz - 6/6/16 at 01:00 PM

Sure, they've not gelled (yet), but the new presenters seem far more sincere than the outgoing crew (well, Clarkson and Hammond).

Get's a thumbs-up from me for that alone!

I've not watched the last few series of TG, but I'm hopeful it will return to my viewing schedule.

Ugg10 - 6/6/16 at 01:32 PM

First week - trying a bit too hard and way too shouty
This week - as said, much better but probably because is was much more like the old topgear of about three season ago, only bit I do not like is the contrived "who's got the best ....." in the star spot, stick to promo-ing the star's latest album/film/book/TV show etc. with a few car q's thrown in. Still need to work on interaction with the crowd.

Best bit about it is that the production crew were obviously retained as the cinematography/post processing is still up there with the best.

So the formula is - fast car only 0.0001% of the population can dream of owning with lost of fancy photography, put it on the test track with stig, silly challenge or multi car test with forfeits (x2), star promo slot with timed lap of the track - repeat for as long as you can get away with it.

Be interesting to see what the two new guys are like next week.

Benzine - 6/6/16 at 02:35 PM

No Hammond so it's instantly better than last series

NeilP - 6/6/16 at 07:25 PM

Yep. Enjoyed that one...

nobrakes - 6/6/16 at 08:16 PM

I didn't see the first episode but last nights was alright I suppose - would be much improved if Chris Evans was quieter (mind you, I don't like him anyway).
I thought he looked extremely uncomfortable when he was a passenger in the McClaren, definately had that look of terror on his face. Highly unprofessional IMHO.

StevieB - 6/6/16 at 09:03 PM

I'd defy anyone to keep a straight face while in the passenger seat of a super car while an F1 driver lets loose on a track!

I thought this week was much better - it'll find its feet at the same time we all come to terms with the fact that it's not Clarkson May and Hammond. Personally, I liked the old presenters but think they out stayed their welcome by a series or two. I like Evans a lot and think it'll come together over time.

When I think back to the first few series of the newer format Top Gear, it was a clunky pile of shite. Over time they swapped out presenters for long enough until they ended up with the 2 that's worked well off Clarkson.

bi22le - 6/6/16 at 10:05 PM

While watching this weeks one i realised what it was i wanted and this is still missing it.

Chris Evans is a petrol head he owns and has driven some of the best cars in the world. He knows alot about cars so expected him to be more passionate and at home with them. Some of this come across when he spoke to Jenson about where the maclaren sat in the line up but i want more.

I want an insiders view. I have not watched the extra show but hope to get this from Chris harris.

hearbear - 7/6/16 at 12:06 AM

I hate it I found myself fast forwarding through it, I think they should have ditched the format and started from scratch. They will never be the same as the previous tenants so why try and act like them. This weeks Africa challenge would have been better if they just stuck with the music people as they were far more entertaining than the presenters.

JoelP - 7/6/16 at 06:52 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Irony
quote:
Originally posted by JoelP
quote:

Doesn't your signature bash people with tourettes?

That's a weak line of reasoning. Bourettes is the fictional condition that Brian Badonde suffers from. But even if it was linked to tourettes, it's hardly a bash, even by the most sensitive measures.

adithorp - 12/6/16 at 09:00 PM

Think they pretty much nailed it tonight.

Ugg10 - 12/6/16 at 09:09 PM

Keep the R8 and the Fezza, I WANT Ken Block's Mustang!!!

All did well but Sabine is no presenter, best to stick to in-car footage.

Still don't like the celebrity game show slot though. Just chat and then do the lap.

[Edited on 12/6/16 by Ugg10]

perksy - 12/6/16 at 09:56 PM

Better this week

hopefully a sign of better things to come

Thought Chris Harris and the Ken Block bits were the highlights

JC - 13/6/16 at 06:40 AM

I don't get the love in for Matt Le Blanc that seems to be happening - once again he was wooden and obviously scripted!
Most of it was quite good this week, Harris' piece was awesome but Rory was a bit bland. Sabine should stick to driving...

scootz - 13/6/16 at 10:21 AM

Easily the best episode of TG in years!

nick205 - 13/6/16 at 10:29 AM

Watched it last night and very pleased to finally see Ken Block on there - should be a presenter or permanent car tester IMHO. Really like his car as well, properly fast and ground hugging with sparks. My son was glued to it and then asked for more Ken on YouTube, but sadly it was his bedtime after TG had finished.

40inches - 13/6/16 at 11:22 AM

quote:
Originally posted by scootz
Easily the best episode of TG in years!

The Wife agrees with you, so it must be true

ali f27 - 13/6/16 at 11:39 AM

Enjoyed tonight generally Matt l getting better not his fault he is american always liked Chris Harris just need to replace ging the gob shite and the crap mini.

Yazza54 - 13/6/16 at 11:59 AM

I think Matt is decent, just need to can Chris Evans and it'll be watchable

nick205 - 13/6/16 at 12:00 PM

quote:
Originally posted by ali f27
Enjoyed tonight generally Matt l getting better not his fault he is american always liked Chris Harris just need to replace ging the gob shite and the crap mini.

I too am not a Mini fan (must be a BMW marketers wet dream) and preferred the cheap car approach myself - a bit more "real world" than thrashing a Mini on/off road.