Board logo

r1 silencer, welding to new pipe
andy188 - 1/3/15 at 07:59 AM

we are trying to weld stainless tube to 5pw silencer, have made and welded bends up , all ok, tried welding to silencer flange, like a load of pigeon ~hit, it fell off the new stainless tube, I thought the silencers where made of stainless too, what have we done wrong, any ideas, thanks Andy

mark chandler - 1/3/15 at 08:15 AM

Early ones are stainless, later ones titanium.

I guess you have a later one.

andy188 - 1/3/15 at 08:29 AM

hi, I though all the 5pw models where all stainless, this is a dark grey one, thought the titanium ones have it wrote on them, looks like I need to make a new end cap and seal it with rivets and paste, what do you think.

whitestu - 1/3/15 at 10:06 AM

quote:

hi, I though all the 5pw models where all stainless, this is a dark grey one, thought the titanium ones have it wrote on them, looks like I need to make a new end cap and seal it with rivets and paste, what do you think.

I have one of the blue / grey ones and that is titanium but doesn't say so on it.

I drilled the rivets out of the end cap and clamped a piece of stainless pipe over the titanium pipe, then put the end cap back on.

Mine hasn't been used much though - I made it for if my Westfield can failed trackday noise tests.

The R1 cans are very quiet.

Stu

andy188 - 1/3/15 at 07:11 PM

cheers guys,

looks like ill cut it open, and make a new end flange,

whitestu, good these cans are quite, mine was borderline/ failed noise at abingdon last year, will get it sorted and get out there this year.

Andy