Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Motor Tricycle number plates
smart51

posted on 7/7/09 at 10:25 AM Reply With Quote
Motor Tricycle number plates

I've just been sent a link to the DVLA rules on number plates. On the third page it says:
quote:

Motorcycles and tricycles registered after 1.9.2001 must only display a number plate at therear of the vehicle.

Motorcycles and tricycles registered before 1.9.2001 can display a number plate at the frontbut are not required to.

Does that mean I cannot by law have a front number plate on my scooter engined but full bodied 3 wheeler? I've made a special flat bit on the front to mount the number plate and everything.

[Edited on 7-7-2009 by smart51]

Humbug

posted on 7/7/09 at 10:33 AM Reply With Quote
According to that rule you have quote, you "must not"... having said that, I don't think that any copper is going to fine you for having a plate! I think all the Grinnalls, Malone Skunks that I have seen, even ones more recent than 2001, have had a plate on the front, so I think you should be OK. Maybe in practice it depends if you have a two front wheel trike as opposed to a two back wheel trike?
Mr Whippy

posted on 7/7/09 at 11:29 AM Reply With Quote
why do you want a front plate? Certainly most robin reliants have them but the carver doesn't so personally I'd leave it off

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
oldtimer

posted on 7/7/09 at 12:04 PM Reply With Quote
This was a law brought in to stop the in-line metal numberplates that were attached to motorcycle front mudguards (I believe) - they were a bit like a sythe and deemed dangerous. I guess the exemption for three wheelers was directed at motorcycle style 3 wheelers not full bodied ones.
smart51

posted on 7/7/09 at 12:27 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
why do you want a front plate? Certainly most robin reliants have them but the carver doesn't so personally I'd leave it off

Relant stopped making cars in 2000 was it? before the cut off date.

True, the Carver doesn't have a front plate. Perhaps I don't need one after all. The question now is do I fill in the flat on the front or just leave it as it is?

smart51

posted on 14/7/09 at 02:05 PM Reply With Quote
I had this email from the DVLA

"As your tricycle is derived from a motorcycle, it must meet the

specifications for motorcycle number plates and only display the number

plate on the rear of the vehicle"

So that's it then. I'll be taking a grinder to the front then and patching in a new bit of GRP. It's annoying because I'd lined up the indicator mounts to be level with the number plate. Still, forward facing speed camera and SPECS cameras should cause me no problems.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.