Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Centre of Gravity Q's
randombloke

posted on 4/1/12 at 12:57 PM Reply With Quote
Hello Dusty sorry no definite answer to RC height but as for what stops it moving when you’re driving the answer is most definitely stiff springs!

The problem with roll centre is that it doesn't just move up and down but side to side as well. This is why the SAL is important. IMHO the roll centre height isn’t important but keeping it from moving is.

My design process started with the things that I could define so I started with the wheel size, track width and chosen upright, with this I had the location of the outer suspension connection points. Next I chose the ride height, my car is for road with very occasional track so I decided on 100mm to keep it low but give reasonable clearance. Because I didn’t want to modify the steering rack from my donor the lower front chassis width was dictated by the rack, so I now had the lower inner pickup points. I decided to go for a medium length SAL of 1700mm because I wanted to keep the outer suspension geometry from gaining positive camber when cornering but also wanted the car to be stable in a straight line. Then all I had to do then was draw a line from the IRC to the upper outer pickup point. With this geometry the RCH is about 75mm but I only bothered what the height was once I had the rest of the geometry in place.

After drawing my design in Autodesk Inventor I needed tiny modification of wishbone length to stop the geometry gaining positive camber but now the outside wheel is at zero camber whilst the chassis rolls to nearly 4 degrees.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.