Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: MSVA or not?
Rodeo

posted on 5/7/13 at 05:55 PM Reply With Quote
MSVA or not?

I abandoned the last 3 wheeler I was building(long story),but have decided to have another go. ...bear with me..........
So ,if a motorcycle is converted to a Trike(2 rear,one front wheel),by using a bolt on rear axle,and is able to convert back to a bike,it only has to go to DVLA for various checks and change of description etc,and it uses the bike reg. Obviously a complete new chassis has to have a MSVA (which I have passed for my existing trike).
But what about converting a bike to a 2 front wheel and one rear type config,by using the complete bike less forks, bolted to the rear of a 'chassis' which has front suspension and a capacity to carry one (or two) persons side by side ala a car? Im told that this also only needs a DVLA visit if it hasnt had any of the original bike frame chopped. Anyone know if this is the case?

[Edited on 5/7/13 by Rodeo]

[Edited on 5/7/13 by Rodeo]

Rodeo

posted on 6/7/13 at 12:34 PM Reply With Quote
Hmmmm...lots of views,but no one knows or has an opinion? I have now contacted the DVLA regarding this.
CompoSimmonite

posted on 11/7/13 at 08:07 PM Reply With Quote
I have a Yamaha quad I've been considering making into a "trike" by making rear wheels close together. Looking at the rules if motorbike front end then you can keep hand operated front brake but if two front wheels then it needs to be foot operated and linked front / rear. Not a problem for me as all brake cable operated and I can adapt a Vespa pedal but if you intend using a motorbike rear brake master cyclinder it might not have enough fluid flow.

Have fun.

Paul H

[Edited on 11/7/13 by CompoSimmonite]

Rodeo

posted on 12/7/13 at 01:47 PM Reply With Quote
Setting up the braking system isnt a problem,its whether it needs msva to comply.
With DVLA offices closing all over ,I still havent been able to find out how you would go about an actual appointment with them to view the finished article eg where?/who?/ costs? (could be an independant checker,advisor,who charges a fee. No one seems to know.)
Its a shambles at the moment,so I wont be starting this project until I know where or how it will be looked at,costs etc etc. I cant see the DVLA releasing any info on the 'new' system until at least the offices have closed.Maybe they will refer everything to VOSA? P'raps this is a ploy to p**s people off so much that they just go for MSVA!?

[Edited on 12/7/13 by Rodeo]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.