Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Black Jack IVA or MSVA
Talon Motorsport

posted on 27/9/09 at 06:31 PM Reply With Quote
Black Jack IVA or MSVA

Just need a quick answer before I go ahead and book the wrong one but what does a 2CV based black Jack need an IVA or a MSVA as it's 650cc?
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
iank

posted on 27/9/09 at 06:34 PM Reply With Quote
If it has 3 wheels then it's MSVA.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

iank

posted on 27/9/09 at 06:37 PM Reply With Quote
Here's a helpful pdf from VOSA

http://www.vosa.gov.uk/vosacorp/repository/Motorcycle%20SVA%20Guide.pdf

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

matt_claydon

posted on 27/9/09 at 07:04 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by iank
If it has 3 wheels then it's MSVA.

What he said ^

It's only when you have four wheels but are very light that it gets complicated.

smart51

posted on 27/9/09 at 08:55 PM Reply With Quote
2 wheels = MSVA
3 wheels = MSVA
4 wheels and less than 400kg and less than 20.1 BHP = MSVA
everything else = IVA

Talon Motorsport

posted on 28/9/09 at 08:29 AM Reply With Quote
thanks guys.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
renrut

posted on 1/12/09 at 10:22 AM Reply With Quote
Just thinking out loud here - what happens if you build a 4 wheeler under 400kg with less than 20.1 bhp then after its MSVA'd you drop in a monster 120bhp engine which is heavier and thus pushes it over the 400kg mark? Would you then need to do an IVA? or do you slip through the net?

And is MSVA easier than the IVA to pass? I know its cheaper.

Why are all the fun things in life expensive!

smart51

posted on 1/12/09 at 10:48 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by renrut
Just thinking out loud here - what happens if you build a 4 wheeler under 400kg with less than 20.1 bhp then after its MSVA'd you drop in a monster 120bhp engine which is heavier and thus pushes it over the 400kg mark? Would you then need to do an IVA? or do you slip through the net?

And is MSVA easier than the IVA to pass? I know its cheaper.

I don't know about the engine change but I suspect what you suggest is naughty. I guess it is like adding a 4th wheel to your 3 wheeler after MSVA.

As for an easier test, there are things in SVA that are not in MSVA, like interior edges. I guess the test is to the same standard but with different items tested. I don't think that IVA is harder than SVA, they just test to slightly different rules.

renrut

posted on 1/12/09 at 12:20 PM Reply With Quote
I have no doubt that its naughty and not in the spirit of the thing but is it wrong?

But the bit that gets me confused is you can buy a Yamaha Raptor quad bike thats road legal yet has around 100bhp. Where exactly does that fit in with the classification scheme? They seem to be classed as motorbike/tricycles for tax purposes? Or is this because its been type approved with a masonic handshake?

Why are all the fun things in life expensive!

Peteff

posted on 1/12/09 at 03:54 PM Reply With Quote
How can a 100bhp quad be road legal, isn't there a top limit on BHP for quads ? Quad bikes are not taxed as motorcycles it just cost my mate £70 to tax his 150cc quad for 6 months and unless you passed your test before a certain date you cannot ride a quad or trike on a bike license it has to be a car license.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.