Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Reverse Box of Chain drive
phil_far

posted on 24/11/10 at 05:47 PM Reply With Quote
Reverse Box of Chain drive

Hi,
A friend of mine is building a three wheeler with a front mounted engine driving the rear wheel via chain. Is there a reverse box in the market that coudl be fitted somwhere as I am not awrae of any!

Philip

jacko

posted on 24/11/10 at 05:56 PM Reply With Quote
I think Moffet make one as used in
Kit car crisis

[Edited on 24/11/10 by jacko]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
blue2cv

posted on 24/11/10 at 07:30 PM Reply With Quote
Muffets do make a chain and a shaft drive reverse box (at least they did a few years ago) the one in kitcar crisis was an Allens Performance / Nova Racing unit, as my pics in archive
smart51

posted on 24/11/10 at 07:57 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by phil_farfront mounted engine driving the rear wheel via chain

That's going to be one long chain. Is he sure that's the best way to move the power all that way?

paulf

posted on 24/11/10 at 09:52 PM Reply With Quote
Maybe he could fit a prop shaft type reverse box in the middle sideways by fitting sprockets to the prop flanges and adding outrigger bearings to take the side load on the gearbox.
Paul
quote:
Originally posted by smart51
quote:
Originally posted by phil_farfront mounted engine driving the rear wheel via chain

That's going to be one long chain. Is he sure that's the best way to move the power all that way?

MK9R

posted on 24/11/10 at 11:26 PM Reply With Quote
not cheap, but an option

http://www.novaracing.co.uk/reversing-gearbox-for-inprop-shaft-installation-and-engine-coupling-kit.htm

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.automatedtechnologygroup.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
The Venom Project

posted on 28/11/10 at 12:19 PM Reply With Quote
Reverse box

quote:
Originally posted by phil_far
Hi,
A friend of mine is building a three wheeler with a front mounted engine driving the rear wheel via chain. Is there a reverse box in the market that coudl be fitted somwhere as I am not awrae of any!

When I was looking at building my Reverse trike, I had looked at various setups, I know that Quaife do a specific reverse gearbox designed for a chain, they weren't cheap in my opinion, something like £1600.

I would have opted for the caravan motor mover direct onto the rear tyre. This is a much cheaper option, especially if you go to a caravan service centre, where they have second hand units. Motor movers are designed to move caravans on 1 or two wheels. I think a second hand unit was something in the region of £250, when I eventually get enough money to buy the MEV TR1KE this will be the route I go down.

Links for Quaife are here:

http://www.quaife.co.uk/catalogue/products/qba2r

Just found this while looking for the proper one, looks interesting:

http://www.100-biker.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=18453

The box above modified is around £600, but I would suggest looking at MNR, they make there own a bit cheaper, and to be honest a better box, the problem I had with my Quaife box like this one, but mine was for propshaft so standard not modified, is they don't half take a lot of power, they seem to suffer from lots of drag, the MNR box is a free loose drive, no friction, no power loss.

Hope this is of some help

Nick

It's not that i'm lazy, it's that I just don't care.....

phil_far

posted on 29/11/10 at 06:15 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks guys I iwll pas son the information!

Cheers

Philip

keljon

posted on 21/6/11 at 10:55 AM Reply With Quote

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.