Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: "A" frame towing
LBMEFM

posted on 18/3/11 at 08:25 PM Reply With Quote
"A" frame towing

I know the grey areas of using an "A" frame for towing. The law is quite clear that they can only be used for recovering a broken down vehicle, but if both vehicles are taxed, insured and MOT'd if required, then the law will normally turn a blind eye. Hence motor homes towing smart cars etc etc., so please don't start another debate on the law. I have decided to buy one as they are a lot easier to store than trailers and a good deal cheaper. My question is when they are attached by chains to the lower wishbones how does the steering on the towed vehicle follow the towing one in a straight line and corners, and what about reversing?
als

posted on 18/3/11 at 08:40 PM Reply With Quote
iv had one for years tow fine have sat at 80 no problems with them but some cars are tricky towing with them like audi and some vw due to the front arms as they have 4 rather than 2
renault clio as well as when you put the bar in to make them tow straight sometimes it can be difficult to get clios to line up apart from some being a wee bit tricky no bother after the first bend recomend to check chains as some time they go slack and quick nip up is all they need and then towing is fine

you can reverse with them but if you can avoid doing so try too it is hard work
al

norfolkluego

posted on 18/3/11 at 08:54 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by LBMEFM
I know the grey areas of using an "A" frame for towing. The law is quite clear that they can only be used for recovering a broken down vehicle, but if both vehicles are taxed, insured and MOT'd if required, then the law will normally turn a blind eye. Hence motor homes towing smart cars etc etc., so please don't start another debate on the law. I have decided to buy one as they are a lot easier to store than trailers and a good deal cheaper. My question is when they are attached by chains to the lower wishbones how does the steering on the towed vehicle follow the towing one in a straight line and corners, and what about reversing?

I thought that was a dolly that is for recovery only, I thought A frames were OK if both vehicles taxed/insured

owelly

posted on 18/3/11 at 08:54 PM Reply With Quote
It also depends on the tow vehicle. I tried to use a pick-up to tow a Volvo 480. A combination of the Volvos non-running engine therefore heavy steering and the light rear end of the pick-up meant the Volvo was trying to push the pick-up in a straight line. I also had a 'twitchy moment' when aproaching a roundabout whilst towing an Alfa 164 with a Volvo S70. I bit too fast, then braking a bit too hard=no weight on the back of the Volvo and the Alfa tried to push the back of the Volvo over the roundabout.
You need to take corners gently. If it's a sharp corner, take it slowly.
My A-frame uses chains attatched to ratchet straps to tighten them. The chains can be a bit rough on whatever you're wrapping them round so a bit of thought is needed! I've used subframe mounts, lower wishbones, anti-roll bars, front axels, etc.... to attach the frame to the car. Stop often to check the chains are still tight!
Also, if you intend to tow a car with a low front, you need to use a frame that has bends in the arms.

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
thunderace

posted on 18/3/11 at 11:00 PM Reply With Quote
i used mine today to move my car i towed it with my fwd swb transit with no load on the back of the van it was like a boat on the corners ,but i have done it loads of times with the van and i know how slow to go when going round bends now.
Mr Whippy

posted on 18/3/11 at 11:05 PM Reply With Quote
can you damage power steering racks doing this?

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.