Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: And I thought kit car bits were expensive!
David Jenkins

posted on 18/8/11 at 03:44 PM Reply With Quote
And I thought kit car bits were expensive!

If you've seen some of my recent posts you will know that I'm building a radio-controlled tricopter.

Today I went to the local model shop... what a rip-off!

I fully appreciate that radio gear, servos, batteries, etc are a fairly limited market (but not that limited!) so could be expensive - but why are all the bits and bobs that go along with building so expensive? For example, 1 metre of 3mm studding was £3.50, every packet of clevises was at least £5, etc. etc. When you look at the clevises and realise that their plastic content probably cost 3 or 4 pence, add a reasonable amount for packaging, plus a reasonable amount of profit... it's hard to get up to that sort of price!

I know that I can get stuff cheaper from HobbyKing - but they're in Hong Kong and it can take up to 2 weeks for stuff to arrive.

<end sulk mode>

Sigh... never mind - I've nearly bought all the stuff I need now.

(Car-related content - I'm only doing this because I need something to make while it's raining. Also this thing will fit in the toy car's boot! )

[Edited on 18/8/11 by David Jenkins]

SeaBass

posted on 18/8/11 at 03:48 PM Reply With Quote
eBay is unfortunately your friend. Model shops are always expensive because of the low footfall.
David Jenkins

posted on 18/8/11 at 03:52 PM Reply With Quote
I always seem to be waiting to be served in our local shop, due to the number of customers...

big_wasa

posted on 18/8/11 at 03:55 PM Reply With Quote
catch 22, if you dont use the model shop then it will vanish, same as the rest of the high street.
balidey

posted on 18/8/11 at 04:03 PM Reply With Quote
I've nut used them yet, but I believe Hobby King now have European depot in Germany, so that may speed it up a bit.
I'm pricing up some tri or quad-copter parts from there.

Dutch bears have terrible skin due to their clogged paws

Mr Whippy

posted on 18/8/11 at 04:07 PM Reply With Quote
r/c heli's cost about the same to run and maintain as my real motor bike, it's something you get use too

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
David Jenkins

posted on 18/8/11 at 04:38 PM Reply With Quote
That's why I'm building a tricopter rather than a heli - if I destroy the airframe it'll cost me around £20 to replace it... that's the cheap bit of the package!

The major consumables on these things are the props, but they only cost around £5 for a pack of six... as long as I don't set the LiPo batteries on fire... apparently that's a known hazard

spiderman

posted on 18/8/11 at 05:22 PM Reply With Quote
as long as I don't set the LiPo batteries on fire... apparently that's a known hazard

Yes lithium batteries are prone to cathing fire and DON'T use water to put them out as it makes the fire flare up.

Spider

David Jenkins

posted on 18/8/11 at 05:26 PM Reply With Quote
It's when you read the charger's instructions that tell you to put the batteries on a non-flammable surface that you start to worry... and there are quite a few retailers that sell fire-proof bags to put the batteries in while charging... THEN you start to worry!

deltron63

posted on 18/8/11 at 05:50 PM Reply With Quote
I converted a losi lst truck to brushless once, one of the batteries in it burst in to flames.
What bit do you need ? I might have some of it in the shed

tnx vid, and me trying to break my muggy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vm1Z70qDepk

[Edited on 18/8/11 by deltron63]

Kwik

posted on 18/8/11 at 07:21 PM Reply With Quote
hobby king have a german warehouse by the way, dont have the full range but have a decent amount
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
wilkingj

posted on 18/8/11 at 07:30 PM Reply With Quote
1. Watch out for Ebay RC components. READ the FEEDBACK first! There are many people selling cheap low quality components.
2. LiPo Batteries are wonderful things... as long as you FOLLOW the RULES. They are apt to catch fire, if you over charge them, discharge them too much ie below a certain volt per cell, or physically abuse them ie split, dent, crush, damage etc etc
3. You MUST charge them properly with a Lipo type battery charger, and preferably one that does ballanced charging, and monitors each cell voltage if its more than a single 3.7v cell.
4. Only Charge your LiPo cell in a fireproof safety bag (Cost you a fiver or so each for the bag)
5. Store in a fireproof container / netal box etc.

Just a quick video on getting it wrong.. and what they "go up" like. Not funny if its in your house or garage at night, whilst you are asleep, ie several hours after you played with your toy car / helicopter / whatever.

Linky

Lipo are excellent batteries.... Just follow the rules and dont take risks.

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

David Jenkins

posted on 18/8/11 at 08:34 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for boosting my confidence, mate!

I'm trying to keep everything in my favour - brand-name 3-cell LiPo (Turnigy), matching brand charger that does balanced charging, and a low-voltage alarm to make sure I get the thing on the ground before it discharges too much.

I was planning to charge them on the concrete floor at the front of the garage - maybe I *will* get a charging bag after all!

Mr Whippy

posted on 19/8/11 at 08:44 AM Reply With Quote
I charge my batterys for the r/c stuff on the cooker hob or on the sink drainer. But never left overnight charging, too risky. One of the guys I fly with is all electric and buys the best battery packs there are and yet he still has them shorting and failing so you need to be careful.

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.