Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Been playing with SolidWorks....
Alan B

posted on 14/9/11 at 10:59 PM Reply With Quote
Been playing with SolidWorks....

After forking a ton of cash about 4 years I have just started learning surfacing in Solidworks. When someone like me with the artistic talent of a bag of spanners can do this in about hour I thought wow.....or am I just kidding myself?

Alan

[img] SW practice
SW practice
[/img]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
NigeEss

posted on 14/9/11 at 11:49 PM Reply With Quote
Cool !

Now you simply make the real thing out of GRP and Kevlar

In two hours

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.................Douglas Adams.

Alan B

posted on 14/9/11 at 11:50 PM Reply With Quote
Oh I've done enough mould making and GRP work to know it will be more like 4 hours...
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Kwik

posted on 15/9/11 at 07:24 AM Reply With Quote
thats pretty good, what i have noticed with solidworks is, some people find it intuitive and easy to pick up and learn quickly, others really really struggle and just dont understand it. looks like you learnt it nice and quickly, its a good skill to have...

also the shape of your car reminded me of...

Daddylonglegs

posted on 15/9/11 at 08:09 AM Reply With Quote
Once you've made the mould then you need to decide what engine you are going to fit. Looks like a good candidate for a mid-engine setup

It looks like the Midget is winning at the moment......

ashg

posted on 15/9/11 at 08:35 AM Reply With Quote
more practice windscreen is casting a shadow on the body

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

Alan B

posted on 15/9/11 at 12:46 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks guys...quite encouraging.

The thing to clarify is that I'm pretty well versed in SW....been using it on and off for about 7 years, however it's the surfacing part of it that is a mystery to many, especially those who have no need for it. 99% of my job and many others involve straight lines, circles, angles etc with little need for compound curves etc. that is more the realm of industrial designers.

I actually picked up a lot from cadjunkie.com, the guy who runs the site has great tutorial videos showing the design of spoons, coffee pots etc very much artistic products rather than engineered ones. Another good site is Solidsmack.com

Neville Jones

posted on 15/9/11 at 04:19 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Alan,

Try getting hold of Rhinoceros 3d for surfacing. It's what most of the local car design houses use for initial shaping, before porting across to Catia for final tooling.

Available on a free download for trial. Best bit is, it recognises Autocad keyboard shortcuts. Some good tutorials on the site, and interweb generally. I use an old version that still does all I need of it.

Cost is a small percentage of SW, if you want to buy it.

Cheers,
Nev.

[Edited on 15/9/11 by Neville Jones]

phelpsa

posted on 15/9/11 at 07:01 PM Reply With Quote
I've been realising the power of surfacing in NX this week. Being a mechanical engineer its a bit odd getting my head around modelling without true dimensions, but you can't deny how useful it can be in other design processes.

I find it difficult to see how any other CAD setup can better the Siemens system now and i'm finding it to be by far the most functional as a package (although its the only one that I've had full industrial training on).

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.