Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Tuition fees
Ninehigh

posted on 19/9/11 at 08:47 PM Reply With Quote
Tuition fees

Found out this morning that people in scotland aren't paying tuition fees and those in Wales pay a max of £3500 ish per year. I understand from this forum that it means the Welsh and Scottish are, in turn, not getting something us English are, but I'm yet to see what I get in England that isn't free in Wales.. Anyone like to fill me in on this?

daviep

posted on 19/9/11 at 09:05 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ninehigh
Found out this morning that people in scotland aren't paying tuition fees and those in Wales pay a max of £3500 ish per year. I understand from this forum that it means the Welsh and Scottish are, in turn, not getting something us English are, but I'm yet to see what I get in England that isn't free in Wales.. Anyone like to fill me in on this?

Ain't life a bitch sometimes

“A truly great library contains something in it to offend everyone.”

mcerd1

posted on 19/9/11 at 09:14 PM Reply With Quote
you got some free riots

-

Macbeast

posted on 19/9/11 at 09:14 PM Reply With Quote
Better weather

I'm addicted to brake fluid, but I can stop anytime.

zilspeed

posted on 19/9/11 at 09:26 PM Reply With Quote
AND !!!

You don't get forced to eat these either !

Square sausage on a Morton's roll.

MMMmmmm......

v8kid

posted on 19/9/11 at 09:41 PM Reply With Quote
Jobs?

You'd be surprised how quickly the sales people at B&Q try and assist you after ignoring you for the past 15 minutes when you try and start a chainsaw

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
keith777

posted on 19/9/11 at 10:16 PM Reply With Quote
I love square sausages-and scotch pies -mmmmmmmmmmmm!!!!
keith777

posted on 19/9/11 at 10:20 PM Reply With Quote
P.s they get free prescriptions and glasses in scotland too -(but I never told ya)!!
blakep82

posted on 19/9/11 at 10:37 PM Reply With Quote
the scottish politicians will do anything to please the voters and get them on side to split the UK, if that does happen, then i think wales and scotlands taxes will shoot right up because i don't think we can afford to keep going like this...
its like communism, which as we all know is brilliant in theory, but doesn't work in practice

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

austin man

posted on 19/9/11 at 10:38 PM Reply With Quote
we give, we dont get, our strain on the benefits system is far greater than the other 2. Simples realy get Britain working well not that simple even if we do would you really expect and benefits as a worker who pays tax

Contencious oooh

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

eddbaz

posted on 20/9/11 at 01:47 AM Reply With Quote
Great, my tax paid here in england is helping to pay for free tuition in Scotland while my kids accure student det here, life is a bitch.
morcus

posted on 20/9/11 at 03:35 AM Reply With Quote
You have to pay some sort of graduation charge in Scotland if your scottish. I went to University in Scotland and I'm sure when we added up all of the various weird charges and tax bits and bobs that there wasn't as big a gulf, though fees in Scotland were at the time about half what they were in England. My Brother attends Bangor University in Wales and he gets all kinds of perks, Including some sort of Grant for going to university in wales.

The moral of the story is, apply for Universities outside of England.

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

mcerd1

posted on 20/9/11 at 07:22 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by morcus
The moral of the story is, apply for Universities outside of England.

but not edinburgh or st. andrews - they both just decided to charge english students £9000 for every year your there (and that could be 5 years for a masters up here...)

-

Ninehigh

posted on 20/9/11 at 07:29 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by keith777
I love square sausages-and scotch pies -mmmmmmmmmmmm!!!!

I like square sausage too Just the right shape to go on the bacon buttie

Well that's what I mean, Wales and Scotland also get free prescriptions, Wales don't charge for parking in hospitals, so what do we get in England that they don't? Lower council tax? Better funded schools?

cliftyhanger

posted on 20/9/11 at 07:31 AM Reply With Quote
My kids are currently 16 and 14. So I have been thinking.....
is there anything to stop me buying a house/flat in Scotland, designate it my main home (keeping our current house as a holiday home ) and then sending them to a Scottish Uni. In fact, they could then live in the place, saving rent.
Just a thought....

But yes, saw some figures a while ago that implied spending per capita in the UK is far from even between the 4 countries. England comes worse off by a fair margin

edit for fat fingers

[Edited on 20/9/11 by cliftyhanger]

David Jenkins

posted on 20/9/11 at 07:42 AM Reply With Quote
The Scottish fees thing is currently heading for the European court...

If you're English you pay the £9000 p.a. fees.
If you're Scottish, or from anywhere else in the EU then you don't pay the fees.

This is totally against all the EU rules.

Benzine

posted on 20/9/11 at 07:44 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cliftyhanger
is there anything to stop me buying a house/flat in Scotland, designate it my main home (keeping our current house as a holiday home ) and then sending them to a Scottish Uni.

I believe you have to have lived in scotland at least 3 years previous to be eligible for free tuition

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
britishtrident

posted on 20/9/11 at 07:54 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins
The Scottish fees thing is currently heading for the European court...

If you're English you pay the £9000 p.a. fees.
If you're Scottish, or from anywhere else in the EU then you don't pay the fees.

This is totally against all the EU rules.

It isn't because it is based on residence not nationality or place of birth.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

mcerd1

posted on 20/9/11 at 07:58 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Benzine
quote:
is there anything to stop me buying a house/flat in Scotland, designate it my main home (keeping our current house as a holiday home ) and then sending them to a Scottish Uni.

I believe you have to have lived in scotland at least 3 years previous to be eligible for free tuition

and you'll still have to make sure they don't want to go to edinburgh or st. andrews - or you'll have a heart attack when yo see the price of a small flat

-

hughpinder

posted on 20/9/11 at 08:07 AM Reply With Quote
Not quite, I am researching it at the moment.
If you are English you need to be resident for 5 years before the course acceptance date. If you are from anywhere else in the EU you can rent a house is scotland and claim its your main residence, and the next day start your course and its free. Since the student will need somewhere to live, this is a no brainer - you're French, so you rent a house for the duration of the course, claim its your main residence, at voila - free university. So we are also paying for free university for the 20% of the scottish university population that are from the EU. I have been looking at changing my nationality from british to 'citizen of the EU' but its hard to tell if this would have the desired effect.

To quote from wikipedia (not 100% reliable I know)

"Following devolution, tuition fees were first abolished in Scotland and replaced with charge after graduation - the graduate endowment - to help pay for tuition.[9] The endowment system itself was later abolished so that all students domiciled and studying at Scottish universities did not have to pay any fees towards their tuition costs.[10] The Welsh Assembly, because of its limited powers in comparison with their Scottish counterparts, remained with the caps imposed on the level of tuition as established by the United Kingdom government. However whereas the United Kingdom government chose to replace means-tested maintenance grants for living expenses whilst at university with a student loan scheme, the Welsh Assembly re-introduced these for Welsh students either studying in Wales or anywhere else in the United Kingdom"

Regards
Hugh

gallons perminute

posted on 20/9/11 at 09:21 AM Reply With Quote
You have to be pretty stupid to have a system that charges for education..............................................

that said most of the educated classes have been ripping us of for years, so it is very much in their interest to keep folk uneducated.

A friend gave up law recently because £100k is not enough. When he "bought" in to the profession in the early 80s there were 8000 lawyers in Scotland, there are now 28,000 according to him.

blakep82

posted on 20/9/11 at 09:36 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by eddbaz
Great, my tax paid here in england is helping to pay for free tuition in Scotland while my kids accure student det here, life is a bitch.

not quite as simple as that, we do pay tax here too you know. plus, remember all that lovely north sea oil and gas that comes into aberdeen? where do you suppose all that money goes?

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

vanepico

posted on 20/9/11 at 09:47 AM Reply With Quote
i for one am enjoying it, £5000 interest free loan to help me build a haynes roadster!
britishtrident

posted on 20/9/11 at 09:58 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mcerd1
quote:
Originally posted by Benzine
quote:

and you'll still have to make sure they don't want to go to edinburgh or st. andrews - or you'll have a heart attack when yo see the price of a small flat

A very large proportion of students at St Andrews have always come from english public schools.

Never mind price of renting in the St Andrews area is about to fall when the coalition closes down Leuchars.

mcerd1

posted on 20/9/11 at 10:42 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident
Never mind price of renting in the St Andrews area is about to fall when the coalition closes down Leuchars.

I thought they were going to move the army in once the RAF have gone ?

-

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.