Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Few MSVA questions
Benzine

posted on 9/11/11 at 10:36 PM Reply With Quote
Few MSVA questions

Just want to clear a few queries up that I have, thought I'd check instead of building something that's then impossible to register etc. I may answer some of my own questions as I go along but really want to measure twice and cut once. This thread will be dull so either get a drink and carry on or leave now ^_^ So I want to build a reverse trike with a 841cc 23bhp diesel engine that weighs as little as possible (certainly sub 400kg). So it would come under 'motor tricycles'

quote:
MSVA manual
The Motorcycle Single Vehicle Approval Scheme applies to:

Motor Tricycles - 3 wheeled vehicle (with 3 symmetrically arranged wheels)

-fitted with an engine having a cylinder capacity of more than 50cc if of the internal combustion type and/or a maximum design speed of more than 45km/h (28mph)

-not exceeding 1000kg unladen

-if designed to carry goods a payload not exceeding 1500kg

-three wheeled vehicles, powered by an electric motor, that can exceed 45km/h will be classed as motor tricycles

So far so good... Next thing, if it weighs less than 400kg when completed will I even be able to drive it? i.e. do I need a bike license? I have on my license: B, B1, C, C1, fkp. I've got lots of conflicting info about this which is why I'm asking. I don't have a bike license and I'm not that interested in getting one, if I did need one to drive this trike then I'd have to reconsider the whole thing as the training is big dollar. The pic below looks clear to me but just want to check

From direct.gov website

Reg number: What plate will I end up with? Does it work in the same way as IVA? I'm guessing I'm going to be ending up with a Q as I'll be using lots of bits from various cars/bikes and mostly/all second hand, not a big deal to me if it is a Q

Biggest question so far: the engine. It's a lombardini engine from a generator, so it's not been used in a vehicle previously.

From MSVA manual: Ensure the presenter has read the leaflet entitled “The SVA emissions test for diesel engines”. Anyone know where I can find this? Emissions: "If it is at or below 1.50m-1 the vehicle has passed the metered part of the test." So it's done using a 'smoke meter' and that 1.50m value is the same for all engines?

If so fine. The one thing that's not mentioned in the MSVA pdf is about engine number. Is that needed for the registration side of things post msva? The engine has a number but not stamped on it, it's part of the forced air cooling shroud and it's printed on. Basically I'm worried that as it's not from a bike/car that it might cause a problem

Thanks for any help

[Edited on 9-11-2011 by Benzine]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
tony-devon

posted on 10/11/11 at 09:37 AM Reply With Quote
I dont remember my engine number ever being checked at MSVA

but was checked at the DVLA inspection when I get the Reg number

you will get a Q plate.

just my opinion, but as its an amateur built vehicle Im sure that its visual test only, best bet is to just ring your local test centre and ask them.

the comma after the amateur built, is my clue

Application
This inspection applies to all vehicles fitted with a compression ignition (diesel) engine except amateur built, rebuilt vehicles and vehicles manufactured using the parts of a registered vehicle fitted with engines manufactured before 1 January 1993 which are subject to a visual test only

heavy is good, heavy is reliable, and if it breaks, hit them with it

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
matt_claydon

posted on 10/11/11 at 01:34 PM Reply With Quote
Licensing-wise you are correct. A B1 (light car) licence is required for 3-wheelers. The slight confusion is historical - you used to get a B1 licence when you passed you 'A' motorcycle licence, therefore people could drive a Robin on a Bike licence (or a traditional 'Billy Connoly' trike). Things have changed and 'B1' now only comes with 'B' (making it kind of redundant). To my knowledge you therefore need a car licence even if your trike is a motorcycle style with handlebars - the law does not differentiate in that respect.
Benzine

posted on 10/11/11 at 05:12 PM Reply With Quote
superb, thanks for the help chaps

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.