Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: I have no idea how it works...
David Jenkins

posted on 5/1/12 at 07:23 PM Reply With Quote
I have no idea how it works...

..but I know it involves quantums... whatever they are...

http://www.wimp.com/controlledlevitation/

...and I know I want one of those!

blakep82

posted on 5/1/12 at 07:27 PM Reply With Quote
looks like it works by actually quite disappointing CGI to be honest which is a shame, but they way the turn corners looks a little jumpy, yet a bit too perfect

[Edited on 5/1/12 by blakep82]

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

David Jenkins

posted on 5/1/12 at 07:35 PM Reply With Quote
Actually - I believe it's mostly quantum physics (the levitation, no matter which way the surface is tilted). I've seen other videos of objects levitating a few cms off a surface - but underneath the track!

I think it's damn clever...

But even if it's a con - as a few people do - then I think there are still people doing clever stuff...

floaty things

[Edited on 5/1/12 by David Jenkins]

blakep82

posted on 5/1/12 at 08:27 PM Reply With Quote
i don't deny its possible, but that particular video doesn't look right to me. they look computer drawn to me, and they way they turn corners just doesn't look quite real to me

the youtube video looks much more real. the way the vapours from the nitrogen come off the thing moves properly, now look at the first video where he puts in on the track, and it looks nothing like the youtube one. the vapours don't behave properly.
when the little floater thing changes sides of the track, all the vapours all change sides with it.

and the title, they don't even spell research properly...

again, i don't deny it can be done, but i don't think it can be controlled like in the first video. i think its more a thing of you can put it on the track, push it, and it will go

[Edited on 5/1/12 by blakep82]

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

Kwik

posted on 5/1/12 at 09:16 PM Reply With Quote
all i thought of when i saw those videos were an opotunity to create a frictionless bearing..
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
steve m

posted on 5/1/12 at 09:32 PM Reply With Quote
Your all wrong,

Its a scalextric for very rich people

bitsilly
Contributor

Posts 726
Registered 9/6/05

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Flexibility into my marriage, bless her!

posted on 6/1/12 at 05:43 PM Reply With Quote
If you ignore the paint jobs and graphics, I saw a very similar demonstration in college. Super conductors back then (10 years) already worked at liquid nitrogen temps.
Basically, cool a superconductor to its operating temp with N. As it reachs temp it levitates above a magnetic field. Tilt the field and it will 'slide' along.
The way they turn the 'cars' is probably the most difficult bit.
In the flesh it was awsome!

Liam

posted on 6/1/12 at 05:46 PM Reply With Quote
It's cool technology, as per the youtube vid, but that Wipeout vid looks faker than a fake thing to me. When he puts the 'car' down it looks suspiciously like putting it on something solid that was cut out, and around 1:15 you can see the added vapour trail/smoke through the walls of the track.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
MikeRJ

posted on 6/1/12 at 06:27 PM Reply With Quote
The "Wipeout" video is CGI, it's a viral advert for the forthcoming Wipeout 2048 game and it's certainly doing it's job well!

The flux pinning videos are great though, I have a strong urge to play with superconductors and magnets after watching them!

[Edited on 6/1/12 by MikeRJ]

Badger_McLetcher

posted on 6/1/12 at 06:43 PM Reply With Quote
Just thought I'd put this here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-Al7GAnH8Q

If disfunction is a function, then I must be some kind of genius.

JoelP

posted on 6/1/12 at 06:45 PM Reply With Quote
i saw a video of a strawberry floating over a magnet. Im assuming it was possbile due to the trace metals in strawberrys, but they might have just hidden a metal lump in it. Either way, must have been a damned strong magnet!

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

designer

posted on 6/1/12 at 07:14 PM Reply With Quote
Isn't the levitation from the liquid nitrogen expanding and lifting the light body.

Movement by magnets probably.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.