Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: whats safer, mini or lambretta?
Kwik

posted on 5/1/12 at 11:02 PM Reply With Quote
whats safer, mini or lambretta?

the mini was forced to stop production due to how dangerous it was, so i was wondering, what is more dangerous a mini (early model with no airbag or side intrusion) or a vespa/lambretta with obviously a helmet and leathers?

the reason i ask is i have always wanted a lambretta but was never aloud due to my mum saying they are too unsafe, yet i am aloud a mini...

[Edited on 5/1/12 by Kwik]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
austin man

posted on 5/1/12 at 11:14 PM Reply With Quote
having driven and riden both, I never nearly fell off or out of my mini, had a few scares on the vespa

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

ReMan

posted on 5/1/12 at 11:14 PM Reply With Quote
"the mini was forced to stop production due to how dangerous it was"

Was it?

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

mark chandler

posted on 5/1/12 at 11:16 PM Reply With Quote
Proper mini's are not any more unsafe than many other cars of the same era, lamberetta's had a history of slicing off ankles.

Allowed a mini is a far more sensible choice with your mother on this.

Simon

posted on 5/1/12 at 11:23 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kwik
the mini was forced to stop production due to how dangerous it was,[Edited on 5/1/12 by Kwik]

Well, that's certainly bull, prob told to you by a bmw mini dealer, it's actually quite a strong car for its size and given it's design is well over 50 years old. As for safety it all depends what you're intending to crash into or what crashes into you really.

If you're sandwiched between a couple of trucks, it won't matter. With the bike, you may have the option to go over your target but road it quite hard to land on!

ATB

Simon

computid

posted on 5/1/12 at 11:30 PM Reply With Quote
Well, im completely against a lambretta. Get a real bike if your going to get a bike! I dont see a mini being particularly dangerous. No more so then the likes of a seven anyway.

MikeRJ

posted on 6/1/12 at 12:26 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kwik
the mini was forced to stop production due to how dangerous it was,

That is simply not true. It was forced to stop production as Rover disappeared down the drain and BMW bought the rights to the brand. It had a poor safety rating *compared to modern cars* well before production ceased, and it required a significant amount of engineering to make it comply to the noise and emissions standards of the time as well.

Compared to a modern city car that's likely to weigh at 50% more then yes it won't be as safe in an accident. In terms of a classic car however they are pretty good, as long as the bodyshell isn't rotten.

If I had the choice of a mini or a Lambretta, the poxy scooter wouldn't get a second glance.

Ninehigh

posted on 6/1/12 at 12:39 AM Reply With Quote
I've rode scooters and I agree with the above on the basis that being in a car makes you slightly visible to other car drivers.

Dusty

posted on 6/1/12 at 02:41 AM Reply With Quote
I don't know how you've survived so long, Kwik. Basic lesson in life. Listen to your Mum. She would not give you duff information except about sprouts and tapioca. You're a very naughty boy!
Ninehigh

posted on 6/1/12 at 02:44 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dusty
I don't know how you've survived so long, Kwik. Basic lesson in life. Listen to your Mum. She would not give you duff information except about sprouts and tapioca. You're a very naughty boy!

So he's not the messiah then?

owelly

posted on 6/1/12 at 06:55 AM Reply With Quote
IMHO, you ride a Lambretta for the lifestyle. There are a million different ways to move yourself around and all of them are better and safer than sitting atop a scooter! Any other motorbike is preferable to a scooter but thats not what you're asking....
A Mini is definately safer. No question. And they're a lot of fun but again, there are better ways to get about!
I think you're comparing apples and pears.

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
HowardB

posted on 6/1/12 at 07:34 AM Reply With Quote
statistically bikers are 16 times more likely to be killed on the roads than car drivers.

This might sway your decision?

Howard

Fisher Fury was 2000 Zetec - now a 1600 (it Lives again and goes zoom)

mcerd1

posted on 6/1/12 at 08:16 AM Reply With Quote
I say mini - 4 wheels are always better than 2

and you can make it a little safer than standard with things like a collapsible steering column - its been done by plenty of folk (using fiesta columns I think ? )

-

AndyGT

posted on 6/1/12 at 08:27 AM Reply With Quote
and a roll cage in the mini s not rocket science to fit.

Plus you'll feel a whole lot safer when being tailgated by a vespa!!!!

nothing is impossible
everything is possible

Wadders

posted on 6/1/12 at 08:56 AM Reply With Quote
How many Lambretta's competed in the Monte Carlo rally?......I rest my case

Al.

motorcycle_mayhem

posted on 6/1/12 at 09:18 AM Reply With Quote
Any motorcycle (even a scooter) is one helluva lot of fun, but so is a mini.

I guess I woudn't run a scooter, but then I'm not into the lifestyle, but can see all the wonder of it.

Safer - hmmm... if you're hit on bike by anything (or you hit something) you're likely to die. If you're more unlucky (my opinion), you'll end up as a brain dead paraplegic. Motorists don't care anymore, they will kill you if you get in the way of their death machines, or interrupt their phonecall. For this reason alone, get a mini.

That said, it's your choice, I've made mine - I ride a bike. Having seen friends and family die horrible painful deaths from cancer, you have to enjoy life..... cotton wool and all that.

Old series Land Rovers are absolutely wonderful British playthings too.... get one for the winter and the scooter for the summer. I have this 'solution', a Series II 1-Ton and a GSXR1000 works for me.... and of course the '7' for the track :-)

mad4x4

posted on 6/1/12 at 09:46 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HowardB
statistically bikers are 16 times more likely to be killed on the roads than car drivers.

This might sway your decision?

99% of all statistics are made up

Scot's do it better in Kilts.

MK INDY's Don't Self Centre Regardless of MK Setting !

Peteff

posted on 6/1/12 at 10:36 AM Reply With Quote
I have a Lambretta Li150 in the shed which I am gradually tidying and reassembling. Last time I rode one was 40 years ago but I fancied building one to ride just for the fun of it. I have a 900 Hornet ( big 'onda) but am definitely a fine (warm) weather biker these days. Scooters are safe enough, I never heard of anyone sliced off at the ankles when I had them but if you want a modern alternative look at some of the Japanese offerings which are faster and easier to ride and look after, Burgman and Majesty type scooters. I have ridden them and they are ideal commuter and mile covering machines.

P.S. a mini is safer and if you ride a Lambretta in leathers you will look a knob.

[Edited on 6/1/12 by Peteff]

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

Furyous

posted on 6/1/12 at 12:00 PM Reply With Quote
This is a Mini that was involved in a crash at a combined speed of 80mph. Both drivers died. I would imagine the other driver might have survived if they hadn't slammed into a tree afterwards. Given that the only impact the Mini took was from the other car, I expect a modern car would have faired much better with a solid cockpit and crumpling front. They're inherently unsafe cars, much less so considering all the shoddy repairs that most of them have. The steel is 0.8mm and spot welded, so they tear like tin foil and rip apart at the seams.

Description
Description

But having said that, I can't really preach about the safety of Minis when I'm zipping about on a handful of steel tubing and some fibreglass.

mookaloid

posted on 6/1/12 at 12:34 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Furyous
This is a Mini that was involved in a crash at a combined speed of 80mph. Both drivers died. I would imagine the other driver might have survived if they hadn't slammed into a tree afterwards. Given that the only impact the Mini took was from the other car, I expect a modern car would have faired much better with a solid cockpit and crumpling front. They're inherently unsafe cars, much less so considering all the shoddy repairs that most of them have. The steel is 0.8mm and spot welded, so they tear like tin foil and rip apart at the seams.

Description
Description

But having said that, I can't really preach about the safety of Minis when I'm zipping about on a handful of steel tubing and some fibreglass.

Not disagreeing with you regarding the safety of the mini - but that looks photo shopped to me .......

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

MikeRJ

posted on 6/1/12 at 12:52 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Furyous

Exactly, a Locost, Fury, Westy etc. involved in an 80mph collision is likely to end up just as bad or worse than the mini. In fact at 80mph, your chances of survival even a modern city car is going to be pretty poor.

loggyboy

posted on 6/1/12 at 12:54 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Not disagreeing with you regarding the safety of the mini - but that looks photo shopped to me .......

Yes, the blurring around the cockpit - unless its blurring out the severed head of the occupant?

[Edited on 6/1/12 by loggyboy]

Furyous

posted on 6/1/12 at 02:41 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by loggyboy
quote:

Yes, the blurring around the cockpit - unless its blurring out the severed head of the occupant?

Yup. It's a photo that was used for talks with young drivers about safe driving, so they blurred out the gore/identity of the driver.

loggyboy

posted on 6/1/12 at 02:42 PM Reply With Quote
I know its digusting - but I want to see the original!
owelly

posted on 6/1/12 at 04:18 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

I'd like to see what would be left of a scooter in a similar crash!

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.