Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: new type 9 gearbox arrived however.......PROBLEMS
itsawindupuk

posted on 7/4/12 at 09:14 AM Reply With Quote
new type 9 gearbox arrived however.......PROBLEMS

Hi guys, my v6 gearbox arrived yesterday but there are some problems. Firstly, it wasn't a heavy duty as thought, secondly it makes a weird noise when you turn the input shaft. If you can imagine the sound of a ball bearing rolling into another ball bearing that's the sound. Its coming from the rear or the gear casing. Any ideas?
designer

posted on 7/4/12 at 10:00 AM Reply With Quote
Impossible to tell without hearing it!
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
stevec

posted on 7/4/12 at 10:22 AM Reply With Quote
Have you put oil in it?

Steve

foskid

posted on 7/4/12 at 11:02 AM Reply With Quote
turning it in the correct direction?

He knows nothing and thinks he knows everything. That points clearly to a political career.
George Bernard Shaw

itsawindupuk

posted on 7/4/12 at 01:11 PM Reply With Quote
It does it regardless of direction although I know it's meant ti be clockwise. It has plenty of oil in it too. It sounds like one of the bearings has a ball or 2 missing and when it's turned the balls catch up on with gravity and they strike the bottom ball bearings making that noise.
DixieTheKid

posted on 7/4/12 at 01:45 PM Reply With Quote
Change the bearing and seals. Their easyor if your local to me, use John @ Hamilton Garage, Botley, Southampton. He will soon tell you if there is anything else wrong. He rebuild my T5 for £220.

COS IT'S Worth IT

itsawindupuk

posted on 7/4/12 at 09:49 PM Reply With Quote
i'd really like to give it a go myself although a gearbox is the only thing ive never rebuilt before. Last time i got as far as trying to remove the aluminium casing but it wouldnt budge lol.
Paul Turner

posted on 8/4/12 at 08:24 AM Reply With Quote
Before you go any further I would suggest you check that you actually have a V6 box, many diesel boxes are dressed up as V6 boxes because they have the same long input shaft but don't have the heavy duty spiggot.

Easy to check, take off the lid and count the teeth on the input shaft gear, a V6 is unique and has 19 teeth, the rest of the Type 9's including the diesel have 18. If its 18 don't panic just yet, go to first gear, its at the back of the main casing and count the teeth. if its 31 its a diesel, if its 29 its from a 2.3 V6. The 2.3 V6 box has 2.0 litre ratios with a long diesel input shaft.

If you have a diesel box I am afraid you have an horrible set of ratios, don't even bother spending any money on it. But its still worth money to someone wanting a box to trade in for a Quaiffe or Tran X box, they charge £150 if you don't have a donor box.

itsawindupuk

posted on 8/4/12 at 09:07 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the tip. I counted the teeth on Friday 4 times and it definitely had 19 teeth.
itsawindupuk

posted on 10/4/12 at 08:11 AM Reply With Quote
Found the problem. Was what I thought, after stripping gearbox turned out the rear bearing casing was shot and the bearing balls were all over the place. New bearing time

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.