Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Hose pipe ban creates run on water butts ..
geoff shep

posted on 10/4/12 at 08:50 PM Reply With Quote
Hose pipe ban creates run on water butts ..

Wow - I know water butts are all the rage, but surely not this much!

LARGE 210 LTR WATER TANK TUB BUTT , LID ,TAP & STAND | eBay

But you do get a free diverter so that's OK. It would be cheaper to be fined!

Andybarbet

posted on 10/4/12 at 09:05 PM Reply With Quote
WOW it would be cheaper to water your plants & wash your car with Evian
foskid

posted on 10/4/12 at 09:46 PM Reply With Quote
greedy bar stewards, trying to profiteer like that, those water butts should be around the 50-60 squid mark. Mind you it wouldn't be so bad if they primed with unleaded on delivery

But I expect there will still be some fools who will cough up.

He knows nothing and thinks he knows everything. That points clearly to a political career.
George Bernard Shaw

morcus

posted on 10/4/12 at 09:46 PM Reply With Quote
Maybe it does something normal water butts don't do? I saw tesco were selling space saving one's when I went in for milk earlier for about £20.

I've never really got water butts, maybe it's because I don't 'garden' but I've got plumbing so why fill up a barrel with dirty rainwater (It's all run off the dirty roof and drains, I imagine rain is quite clean before that point).

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

Peteff

posted on 10/4/12 at 10:08 PM Reply With Quote
It's to stop people bidding on them as they have none left but don't want to pull the advert as they will have to pay to relist so they just edit the price to something really ridiculous. Plus if we all have water butts and catch the rain before it goes back into the water table will it increase the drought problem ? (only kidding)

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

Chippy

posted on 10/4/12 at 10:31 PM Reply With Quote
Don't foreget this though "FREE MARLEY RAIN DIVERTER WITH EACH WATER BUTT" makes all the diference. I guess that they are out of stock and just bunged the price up to a stupid level untill they get more in. Cheers Ray

To make a car go faster, just add lightness. Colin Chapman - OR - fit a bigger engine. Chippy

Andi

posted on 10/4/12 at 10:35 PM Reply With Quote
And 21 have been sold so far
slingshot2000

posted on 10/4/12 at 11:43 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Andi
And 21 have been sold so far

That equates to;
they only had the foresight to order 20 for stock, and anyone else who orders will have to wait until 21 arrives from China

(and anyone else stupid enough to order now)

[Edited on 10/4/12 by slingshot2000]

Ivan

posted on 11/4/12 at 06:09 AM Reply With Quote
Based on 30 years of water engineering water butts are the biggest waste of money around and do not contribute significantly to water saving unless you have a catchment big enough to fill a butt of say 10kl.

If all the money going towards the purchase of the butts was put together hundreds of worthwhile catchment dams could be built.

Not only that but poorly managed butts are ideal breeding grounds for mosquitoes leading to whole new set of problems.

So Bah Humbug

Daddylonglegs

posted on 11/4/12 at 06:24 AM Reply With Quote
Be cheaper to use the hosepipe, it's only £1000 fine!

It looks like the Midget is winning at the moment......

kipper

posted on 11/4/12 at 07:04 AM Reply With Quote
why don't they dilute the water say 50/50 ,problem halved.
Denis.

Where did that go?
<<<<

jabs

posted on 11/4/12 at 07:10 AM Reply With Quote
He sold one for £49 which assume is normal price, then appears to have upped price to £159 assume to stop people buying and he sold one at that price - lol
jossey

posted on 11/4/12 at 07:48 AM Reply With Quote
Not many people know this but blue badge disabed users can use the hose pipe when there is a ban. How mad is that.

Thanks

Thanks

David Johnson

Building my tiger avon slowly but surely.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
quinnj3

posted on 11/4/12 at 08:51 AM Reply With Quote
Same seller sold 3 x 100L slimline water butts with all the accessories for £93.24. Simple maths suggests you spend £93.24 and get 300L of water storage. A small saving of around 1200%

[Edited on 11/4/12 by quinnj3]

my aim is to build my own locost wether it takes me a week or 10 years to get started, i'm sure i will sometime

wilkingj

posted on 11/4/12 at 10:04 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kipper
Denis.

I usually do... I dilute it with 50% whiskey. But only with the cheap blended stuff. You cant waste good Scotch by contaminating it with water, only the cheap stuff

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mcerd1

posted on 11/4/12 at 11:36 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by wilkingj
quote:
Originally posted by kipper
Denis.

I usually do... I dilute it with 50% whiskey. But only with the cheap blended stuff. You cant waste good Scotch by contaminating it with water, only the cheap stuff

I'm happy to inform you that there will be no shortage of water for Whisky production... I was on Islay last weekend and we got more rain in 4 days than the south east gets in a hundred years !

(btw its 'Whisky' not 'Whiskey' unless your talking about Irish stuff and only americans call it Scotch )

-

coyoteboy

posted on 11/4/12 at 12:55 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
I've never really got water butts, maybe it's because I don't 'garden' but I've got plumbing so why fill up a barrel with dirty rainwater (It's all run off the dirty roof and drains, I imagine rain is quite clean before that point).

I've just installed a 250 litre water tank that came out of the loft because my greenhouse is about 20m from the nearest water pipe and I can't be bothered running an armoured pipe out that far. Plus if I had a water meter it'd be fairly pricey. As it is the rain water is really good for plants who don't mind a bit of dirt and once the water has settled in the butt it's fairly clean and usable for loads of things inc washing the car.

[Edited on 11/4/12 by coyoteboy]

morcus

posted on 11/4/12 at 02:45 PM Reply With Quote
That sort of makes sense. I imagine yours actually fills up quite well as I remember it raining alot when I lived in Glasgow, whereas here, I'm living on a semi arid marsh so If I got one it wouldn't have much water in.

The other thing I don't get, what is the point of a hosepipe ban if we're still alowed to use as much water as we want, it just can't come out of a hose or a sprinkler? And how come I can still use the car wash at tesco but I'm not allowed to use a pressure washer at home?

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.