Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: breaking news
theconrodkid

posted on 13/5/12 at 07:40 PM Reply With Quote
breaking news

greek bail out talks have failed,no more EU cash for them,they are toast
could this be the end of the euro and the EU?....i hope so,i like being a "little islander"

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

Ninehigh

posted on 13/5/12 at 07:52 PM Reply With Quote
Why should it? Maybe Greece would be kicked out

ditchlewis

posted on 13/5/12 at 08:08 PM Reply With Quote
had a feeling this would happen from the start, the greeks lied about their finances just to join the euro and nobody fully checked their new friends out.

a fact that i read on the bbc web site was only the spanish have followed All the rules of the euro. the greeks have broken just about all the rules, and the french and germans have broken 3 to 4 of the 9 rules.

the euro wont work if they all bend the rules and i think it will reduce to a small number of core countries.

greece will be grease

ditch

[Edited on 13/5/12 by ditchlewis]

Puzzled

posted on 13/5/12 at 08:40 PM Reply With Quote
Hey conradkid

You seem to have some form of perverse pleasure in others misfortune. Its no joke to witness a nation on its knees. Do you think your "little Island" will be immune from fall out if the Eurozone collapses??. Be careful what you wish for.

computid

posted on 13/5/12 at 08:50 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Puzzled
Hey conradkid

You seem to have some form of perverse pleasure in others misfortune. Its no joke to witness a nation on its knees. Do you think your "little Island" will be immune from fall out if the Eurozone collapses??. Be careful what you wish for.

Someones got a bee in their bonnet...

iank

posted on 13/5/12 at 09:23 PM Reply With Quote
Anyone have a reference to this? I can't find anything on the BBC website, only that the Greek coalition talks have broken down, a rather different story and means nothing for the bailout (though depending on who finally forms a government it could trigger all sorts of possibilities).

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

ditchlewis

posted on 13/5/12 at 09:29 PM Reply With Quote
the way the worlds finances work today no one will be unaffected by the greek failure... british banks were the 3rd largest holders of debt behind the germans and the french.

this is going to get messy and may trigger another worldwide resession.

if greese pulls out of the euro then things will only get worse for the greek people and i would hate to be living there at the moment. with their currency devalued the cost of imports such as cars, cloathing, fuel supplies will sky rocket for them. unfortunatly they do not have major manufacturing base to get them through.

i really would not want to be living there at the moment.

ditch

Hector.Brocklebank

posted on 13/5/12 at 09:50 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Puzzled
Hey conradkid

I am sorry but having lived and attempted to work alongside the greasy, lazy, lying, corrupt Greeks the only thing they deserve is all they get, and its not a misfortune when they induced the problem themselves due to lying,cheating and avoiding taxes, and that's all FACTS.

Some people can never handle the truth and always try to shoot the messenger instead of taking an honest look in the mirror (its always easier to blame another than to face reality), but secretly they wish they could grow a pair and be the messenger !!!

designer

posted on 13/5/12 at 10:48 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

the greeks lied about their finances

The EEC moved the goalposts to let Greece in, a continuation of their quest to make the EEC bigger.

Greece would never have meet the criteria, and neither did any of the last few entries.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
RK

posted on 14/5/12 at 12:12 AM Reply With Quote
It may have been dirty pool to let the Greeks in, but they are in, and whether they deserve this or not, will not change the fact that there are going to be consequences for all of us, including my country.
theconrodkid

posted on 14/5/12 at 06:09 AM Reply With Quote
Oh dear,i seem to have opened a can of worms.
this once great island once ruled a third of the world,now we are skint and the dumping ground for the world,s undesirables and ruled by those we defeated in two world wars.
the EU cost.s us a lot of money in many ways,who paid for all the new roads across eastern europe,i have seen the rise of Poland from a tatty hole where if you were lucky you had a trabant,now everyone has a merc or BMW.
what do you think will happen when Turkey gets the nod?
time we ruled ourselves again and pulled out of this corrupt "club".
here endeth the rant for today

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

norm007

posted on 14/5/12 at 07:21 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by theconrodkid
Oh dear,i seem to have opened a can of worms.
this once great island once ruled a third of the world,now we are skint and the dumping ground for the world,s undesirables and ruled by those we defeated in two world wars.
the EU cost.s us a lot of money in many ways,who paid for all the new roads across eastern europe,i have seen the rise of Poland from a tatty hole where if you were lucky you had a trabant,now everyone has a merc or BMW.
what do you think will happen when Turkey gets the nod?
time we ruled ourselves again and pulled out of this corrupt "club".
here endeth the rant for today

No, Please carry on ranting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You are only saying what a helluva lot of people are thinking.

The Greeks will just end up been offered housing, NHS,Education and unemployment benefit etc in this country??????????????

Something about this, so very wrong.....I have to laugh out loud, I wish I didn`t like this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ditchlewis

posted on 14/5/12 at 07:38 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by designer
quote:

the greeks lied about their finances

The EEC moved the goalposts to let Greece in, a continuation of their quest to make the EEC bigger.

Greece would never have meet the criteria, and neither did any of the last few entries.

And that's what worries me are the greeks just the first and all our major trading partners ( the EU) going to fall like domino's?

Are we the only nation who follow the rules set out by the EU or should we be like the other members and pick and choose the ones we like the look of?

Ditch

Puzzled

posted on 14/5/12 at 08:13 AM Reply With Quote
"Scratch a Brit, and under his skin, you will find, an Imperialist" ------ Shades of truth,are beginning to surface in this thread.
"greasy,lazy and corrupt" ---- Fair description of our Political Masters in Dublin and London.
" B in Bonnett" ------ Really? . Is that the Best you can come up with???.

For the sensible contributors . I agree that this situation is very serious.Dont know what the consequences will be if contagion takes hold , but it wont be easy on ANY country.

Not Anumber

posted on 14/5/12 at 10:23 AM Reply With Quote
I think Greece just needs to be offered a truce - an exemption from paying any interest for the money already borrowed so long as they make a start on paying back the capital. It's easy for the Germans to insist on applying more and heavier austerity measures but they recognise from their own history after WW 1 this is no way of making people maleable and compliant it just makes them downtrodden, angry and resentful. The power of the EU as weilded by Germany and France is frightening- I couldn’t believe it when Angela Merkel got to view the proposed Irish budget before most of the Irish Government.

Thank heavens France has given Tea Cozy the order of the boot - we might now see some proper balance against the otherwise unstoppable growth of the 4th Reich (aka the EU).

designer

posted on 14/5/12 at 10:34 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

I think Greece just needs to be offered a truce - an exemption from paying any interest for the money already borrowed

Why?

Will the next country get a free bailout too?

Germany started with austerity after the war, and it became there building block.

France cannot afford what Hollande proposes. I have friends here who retired on huge pensions at 53! A pension for a rertired teacher at 56 is well over a 1000€!! It's not sustainable.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ditchlewis

posted on 14/5/12 at 10:51 AM Reply With Quote
Nobody can say we will not be affected by this as UK shares have fallen 1.8% this morning, the french and germans have had bigger falls.

This has global implications, even china has seen a fall in exports this quarter.

The Global financial system needs better controls to prevent the "gambling" of the investment banks (that is all it is).

I read an artical about the mathmatician who came up with the algorithm that has been blamed for the 2008 crash, he defended it by saying that most of the bankers using it did not understand the data it required to be acurate or the information being produced. This is the problem with the autimated investment systems we have today.

I blame the whole problem on computers and greedy people.

Ditch

designer

posted on 14/5/12 at 11:01 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

I read an artical about the mathmatician who came up with the algorithm that has been blamed for the 2008 crash

This says it all, when an equation is responsible for a crisis!

steve m

posted on 14/5/12 at 11:50 AM Reply With Quote
What i dont understand is "Govements borrowing huge amounts of money, and not paying it back" is all ok

yet if i do not pay back my mortgage or a loan its fraud

also if i was to borrow £500,000 i would need to put up somthing to use against the loan, say my parents houses(hehe)

What do countrys use against thier huge loans? their personlaties?

ditchlewis

posted on 14/5/12 at 11:59 AM Reply With Quote
Well said.
The banks trading in stocks and shares are all highly automated - they won't confess how automated but over 30% of all deals are by a computer to another computer. This allows shares to be bought and sold again in under a second . If the wrong perameters are entered into the computer .....well you get the picture.

Some people are too cleaver for their own good.

Ditch

designer

posted on 14/5/12 at 12:21 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

The banks trading in stocks and shares are all highly automated

Yes, that's the problem!

We have all had that 'gut feeling' about stuff, the same was before on the stock market, where prople would ignore minor drips.

Now, a line is reached and everything goes into action automatically, causing problems, even the 'gilt edged' stuff is effected.

Maybe the bankers should employ more people to do their 'data input' and buy and sell on the wing?

ditchlewis

posted on 14/5/12 at 12:28 PM Reply With Quote
agreed, the government want the kids to go to uni and get a degree, but there are no jobs for them.

get rid of the automated trading and employ some of the degree holders woking in macdonalds.

if you can trade shares in under a second then when there is a twitch in the market this will be accellerated by the computer and faster than a person can see what is happening and put it right.

look at the gambling at JP Morgan £2bn in bad bets

ditch

l0rd

posted on 14/5/12 at 01:15 PM Reply With Quote
as me being Greek, should i give you the heads up a bit on how we managed to get to this stage?
RK

posted on 14/5/12 at 01:24 PM Reply With Quote
I say forgive most of the debt, let inflation take hold in Greece, and let things even out as they would naturally. The banks are greedy barstewards and can live without a few sheckals at this point.
Ninehigh

posted on 14/5/12 at 07:00 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by l0rd
as me being Greek, should i give you the heads up a bit on how we managed to get to this stage?

Why do I get the feeling that you're going to describe where the rest of us are at the moment?

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.