Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Question about removing alloy rivets
jacko

posted on 19/8/12 at 04:38 PM Reply With Quote
Question about removing alloy rivets

Hi All some one i know asked me what is the best way to remove solid alloy rivets out of lead they can't be drilled ?
This is on a Aircraft he is renovating
Jacko

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Chippy

posted on 19/8/12 at 04:57 PM Reply With Quote
I asume that these are the hammered in place type of rivet. I did some work on a very old race car that had alloy skin that didnt want to be damaged. The only way we came up with was to dremel off the head, (carefuly), and then tap the pin part through it worked but was very time consuming and as there were several dozens of rivets a real pain. HTH Ray

To make a car go faster, just add lightness. Colin Chapman - OR - fit a bigger engine. Chippy

johnH20

posted on 19/8/12 at 07:18 PM Reply With Quote
I don't know the answer to this but as a lead there are several companies in the historic restoration business who must do this a lot. Bit of a search required but I remember seeing a dismantled Surtees TS5 at the Racing car show a few years back on an exhibitors stand.
DIY Si

posted on 19/8/12 at 08:01 PM Reply With Quote
All the options I can think of are variations on cutting the head off and knocking the solid pin through.

“Let your plans be dark and as impenetratable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
Sun Tzu, The Art of War

My new blog: http://spritecave.blogspot.co.uk/

jacko

posted on 20/8/12 at 05:26 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DIY Si
All the options I can think of are variations on cutting the head off and knocking the solid pin through.

According to the mate of mine its not as easy as that without disforming the lead

Thankyou for any advice so far
Jacko

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
richard thomas

posted on 20/8/12 at 06:50 PM Reply With Quote
Disc head off, centre drill the rivet shank at 1/2 rivet shank diameter to the depth of the material it is holding together leaving the tail undrilled, carefully block back of structure and knock rivet shank out with a punch 0.1mm smaller than diameter of hole.....

[Edited on 20/8/12 by richard thomas]

02GF74

posted on 20/8/12 at 07:19 PM Reply With Quote
pure lead melts at 327.5 C - quite low - is melting them an option?

spiderman

posted on 20/8/12 at 07:32 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 02GF74
pure lead melts at 327.5 C - quite low - is melting them an option?

The rivets are alloy the material being held is lead and needs to be left undamaged, so I don't think that will work.

I am surprised that lead is used in the construction of an aircraft though.

Spider

paulf

posted on 20/8/12 at 08:37 PM Reply With Quote
Is it still attached to the aircraft? if its just a lead weight with some alloy rivets in it then maybe it could be immersed in caustic soda and the rivets dissolved?
Paul

Toprivetguns

posted on 20/8/12 at 09:19 PM Reply With Quote
Im an aircraft engineer, why cant they be drilled ? As long as your delicate and start drilling with a small drill bit. Then proceed to work your way up to the diameter of the original hole I dont see a problem.

Also if your going to try the rivets, try using cobalt drill bits.

Any pictures or description of the said parts ?

Only drive as fast as your angel can fly... !

foskid

posted on 20/8/12 at 09:24 PM Reply With Quote
I'm intrigued as to why they can't just be drilled out, cosmetic reasons, affecting the mass or position of the lead perhaps. Most lead on an aircraft is fitted as ballast or as a "mass balance" to prevent flutter in manually controlled flying surfaces, usually out of sight fitted in horns fwd of the hinge line. Any material, lead or alloy removed would have to be replaced within fairly narrow limits and they are generally bolted in anyway. So what is so particular about this piece they can't be removed by drilling. Other than that, Richard Thomas has Knocked on the head so to speak

[Edited on 21/8/12 by foskid]

He knows nothing and thinks he knows everything. That points clearly to a political career.
George Bernard Shaw

jacko

posted on 21/8/12 at 06:21 PM Reply With Quote
Thankyou all for you input ,
I am afraid i don't have the answers to some of your questions
My daughter went for a flying lesson on Saturday and while i was there i was talking to some one who i rebuilding a plane but he had the problem with the rivets

What i thought was cut the heads off the rivets then pour boiling water on the lead to expand it + punch out the rivets

I will ask him next time we go what and how he got on
Thanks
Jacko

richard thomas

posted on 21/8/12 at 07:35 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by foskid
I'm intrigued as to why they can't just be drilled out, cosmetic reasons, affecting the mass or position of the lead perhaps. Most lead on an aircraft is fitted as ballast or as a "mass balance" to prevent flutter in manually controlled flying surfaces, usually out of sight fitted in horns fwd of the hinge line. Any material, lead or alloy removed would have to be replaced within fairly narrow limits and they are generally bolted in anyway. So what is so particular about this piece they can't be removed by drilling. Other than that, Richard Thomas has Knocked on the head so to speak

[Edited on 21/8/12 by foskid]

I did my apprenticeship at Saints, I think we are in the same trade given your location....?

(Just looked in your photo archive....now I now we are in the same trade...)

[Edited on 21/8/12 by richard thomas]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.