Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Recommend me an invoicing package
russbost

posted on 15/8/13 at 12:02 PM Reply With Quote
Recommend me an invoicing package

Looking for a simple invoicing package which I can add our part no.'s to so I'm not typing stuff out all the time, doesn't need to do stock control as I sell in multiple places so would never be correct anyway, doesn't need to have supplier prices as I'm not looking at it for anything analytical & the less info I have to put in to get it working the better.

Needs to be able to cope both with & without Vat (quite a lot of what I sell goes overseas & is sometimes Vat free) & I would want to be able to change the Vat rate myself without having to get into anything complicated or paying for support, if I can duplicate the programme to work for 2 different companies so much the better. I would want it to be able to produce a monthly report with totals of sales, Vat totals etc. to save the faffing I currently do with adding up etc

If it's free or very cheap so much the better, certainly don't want to be paying out for expensive updates & stuff over & over, but would rather pay a little more for something that's simple & intuitive to use than get something free or dirt cheap that's clunky & hard to use

Must be able to run under both Windows 7 & Vista

Any ideas?

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
fesycresy

posted on 15/8/13 at 12:24 PM Reply With Quote
We use Sage, but it's not the friendliest.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The sooner you fall behind, the more time you'll have to catch up.

Barkalarr
Contributor

Posts 941
Registered 14/3/12
Location Essex

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Caterham R300, Caterham Roadsport,Indy R1,Indy Zet

posted on 15/8/13 at 12:29 PM Reply With Quote
How many sku's do you have?
craig1410

posted on 15/8/13 at 12:41 PM Reply With Quote
I've heard a lot of good things about this online invoicing service: http://www.freshbooks.com/uk/

It's got lots of features which will probably do what you need. Totally free to try for up to 3 clients and something like $19.95 per month thereafter (~ £12-13). Obviously in the long run that might appear to be more expensive than buying a software package outright but before you dismiss the idea, consider that you get support and free upgrades with the subscription which you don't normally get with a retail package. You can also run this software from any web connected device whether PC/Mac/phone/tablet.

I run my own IT consultancy business just using invoice templates I created in Pages on my Mac plus my accountant (SJD Accountancy) gives me a spreadsheet to fill in with expenses and bankings etc. My needs are really simple but I would definitely consider FreshBooks if I needed to manage multiple clients or if I had any amount of complexity at all.

HTH,
Craig.

[Edited on 15/8/2013 by craig1410]

mcerd1

posted on 15/8/13 at 12:50 PM Reply With Quote
if you had a little time you could set something up in excel that would do most of that for nowt

-

craig1410

posted on 15/8/13 at 12:53 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mcerd1
if you had a little time you could set something up in excel that would do most of that for nowt

Assuming you already have a copy of MS Excel of course...

thefreak

posted on 15/8/13 at 01:12 PM Reply With Quote
Mine's all done through the ecommerce package I run my site through. The back end is very good and easy to set up.
Think it's about £20 a month including the actual site. It's run by 123reg.

russbost

posted on 15/8/13 at 01:17 PM Reply With Quote
I do have Excel but have zero experience of using it! :s

SKU's (I had to look it up - stock keeping units for anyone as confused as I was) - I have, guessing a little, probs several hundred, but not as many as a 1000

I've used Sage b4 & thought it was absolutely dire - it was a long time ago so may have improved, I don't need anything to keep my books as such (I have a wife for that!), just do simple invoicing & monthly reports of £££'s sold, certainly don't want to be parting with £12 a month - would be cheaper to pay £200 up front, but was hoping to do it more cheaply than that.

Perhaps I should employ one of my kids to write something in Excel?

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
mcerd1

posted on 15/8/13 at 01:21 PM Reply With Quote
Excel would still be quite manual - but could easily do your VAT and totals for you... your part no's and that should work too (but it depends how complex you want to make it)

[Edited on 15/8/2013 by mcerd1]

-

Ivan

posted on 15/8/13 at 01:46 PM Reply With Quote
Using forms in a relational database such as MS Access would be the way to go but that will take some setting up unless you can find a database with standard invoicing templates - there might be templates in Excel as well .

Just had a look in Open Office and there seems to templates here

http://templates.services.openoffice.org/en/taxonomy/term/

Am sure there are many others to be found

Link doesn't work but a quick Google search will find many free invoicing templates for excel etc.

[Edited on 15/8/13 by Ivan]

mcerd1

posted on 15/8/13 at 02:01 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ivan
Using forms in a relational database such as MS Access would be the way to go but that will take some setting up unless you can find a database with standard invoicing templates

the only reason I didn't suggest that is I've had to do it before (admittedly with access 97) and it was a nightmare

-

thefreak

posted on 15/8/13 at 02:03 PM Reply With Quote
This is the main issue.
Free means getting your hands dirty and setting it up yourself.
Paid for (a small fee) makes it a lot easier as someone has done the hard work.

russbost

posted on 15/8/13 at 02:10 PM Reply With Quote
"Paid for (a small fee) makes it a lot easier as someone has done the hard work"

Is exactly what I was looking for, but I'm out of touch with what's available & was hoping someone could point me in the right direction

thefreak

posted on 15/8/13 at 02:13 PM Reply With Quote
Who hosts your website and ecommerce package? This might be a good place to start.
craig1410

posted on 15/8/13 at 02:22 PM Reply With Quote
I'm an IT consultant and have used MS Access on and off for 15+ years and I definitely wouldn't recommend developing a bespoke invoicing system using it. The only time it makes sense to develop your own bespoke "insert name here" solution is if you have spare time on your hands or if you intend to sell that solution to recover the cost of development. If you are a professional "anything" and you can make £xxx per day doing what you are good at then stick to that and buy an invoicing solution from someone who does that for a living. It's like the difference between building a Locost versus building a "Kit Car".

Regarding FreshBooks at £12 or so a month, I personally think that it is a bargain. You don't need a PC, you don't need to keep backups, you don't need to buy upgrades, you have a support number to call, you have lots of useful features plus more will be developed which you will also be able to use and there is no up-front cost. If you don't need a PC then you don't need anti-virus or operating system upgrades and since the solution is web based, you can access it from anywhere at any time.

Sorry, starting to go into sales mode a bit there... Just to confirm that I have no connection or interest in FreshBooks as a company...

Cloud computing and associated services are here to stay and PC's have been on a sharp decline which looks set to continue, so I'd think very carefully before investing in a traditional piece of retail software (such as Sage) running on a Windows PC. Lots of overhead there which you shouldn't have to carry any more. Any invoicing solution should be able to be run from your smartphone in my opinion. I want to be able to generate and send the invoice within 2 minutes of completing the job regardless of where I am.

Cheers,
Craig.

David Jenkins

posted on 15/8/13 at 03:57 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by fesycresy
We use Sage, but it's not the friendliest.

So true - if you have professional book-keeping skills then it's a breeze, otherwise it's a total PITA. I gave up because I knew what I wanted to do, but it insisted on doing what was right!

I now keep my domestic accounts on GnuCash, but I don't know how good its invoicing functions are (it does do this sort of thing, but I don't use it). It also runs on Linux - I don't know if there's a Windows version. However, it is free!

Barkalarr
Contributor

Posts 941
Registered 14/3/12
Location Essex

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Caterham R300, Caterham Roadsport,Indy R1,Indy Zet

posted on 15/8/13 at 04:54 PM Reply With Quote
With that number of SKU's, I'd go Excel.

The problem you'll have with an off the shelf package it won't do exactly what you want. I'm 100% sure you'll want a report which just doesn't exist. The problem is, you don't know what you want up front until you can't have it.

With Excel, just start with the basics to get you up and running - use a linked sheet for each invoice to lookup the sku numbers and then you're away with your invoices.

The only way to learn the software is to use it - a bit of sink or swim. Get the kids to get you up and running and you'll find in a few months time it's a great product.

You'll be able to get your P&L, do forecasts and even produce some high level mgmt accounts... easy!

Oddified

posted on 15/8/13 at 05:05 PM Reply With Quote
Another vote for Excel. All my business stuff from invoices to accounts is done with it.

Ian

deeceee09

posted on 15/8/13 at 05:44 PM Reply With Quote
This will do all you want including the bookkeeping for your wife. If you have an accountant (afraid I am a retired one) he will be pleased too. It will take a while to get used to it but so will any package. Go for VT Transaction+, not the VT Accounts Suite. £125 and that's it. Does any number of businesses too. I used it for years and so did many of my clients.

http://www.vtsoftware.co.uk/index.html

Treachery and old age will always triumph over youthful enthusiasm.

David Jenkins

posted on 15/8/13 at 06:18 PM Reply With Quote
That's a bonus point for Sage - if you can get to grips with the way it works then your accountant will be very happy as it speaks the same language - and a happy accountant is usually a bit cheaper! (queries cost you money, as a rule).

russbost

posted on 15/8/13 at 06:37 PM Reply With Quote
Thanx for all the info guys, just to throw another option in has anyone ever used a product called Easy Invoicing from easyinvoicing.co.uk they have a free trial which I thought might be worth a look?

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.