Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Collapsible Boss a Must for IVA?
ChrisJ15

posted on 21/8/13 at 04:37 PM Reply With Quote
Collapsible Boss a Must for IVA?

Ive got an ST150 Fiesta column (which is Fiesta Mk 6) which has two collapsible sections plus a decent angle on the lower portion.

I cant get a collapsible hub/boss for this column but has anyone passed IVA without this on the basis of collapsibility (if that's a word!) elsewhere?

Ive got an MX5 steering wheel with he center pad which I assume is OK as steering wheels go?

deeceee09

posted on 21/8/13 at 04:55 PM Reply With Quote
No collapsible boss on my J15 which passed its IVA last Autumn. It did have a reasonable angle on the lower portion though.

Treachery and old age will always triumph over youthful enthusiasm.

adithorp

posted on 21/8/13 at 06:55 PM Reply With Quote
As I understood it you needed either off-set uj's or collapsible lower section to prevent the steering being forced up in the front end shunt and either a collapsible top shaft/mounting or deformable wheel to prevent injury if you're launched forward into it.

I think some testers interpret it differently though. Mine at SVA did it as above but others have passed without. There's also the question of what is acceptable proof for the boss or wheel, which is one reason many use the donor wheel.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

deeceee09

posted on 21/8/13 at 07:29 PM Reply With Quote
These are OK for IVA.

http://www.caterhamparts.co.uk/product.php?id_product=192

Treachery and old age will always triumph over youthful enthusiasm.

Slimy38

posted on 21/8/13 at 08:36 PM Reply With Quote
As a guide, how young a donor would you require before this kind of spec is part of the normal kit? Would my 92 MX5 meet the requirements if I used the steering column and wheel as they come out of the car?
adithorp

posted on 21/8/13 at 08:49 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Slimy38
As a guide, how young a donor would you require before this kind of spec is part of the normal kit? Would my 92 MX5 meet the requirements if I used the steering column and wheel as they come out of the car?

I think collapsible columns and deformable wheels have been fitted since the 70's. All MX5 steering will be fine.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.