Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: ECU for Duratec
TrophyJem

posted on 11/9/13 at 12:40 PM Reply With Quote
ECU for Duratec

I'm just planning my Pinto to Duratec conversion this winter and I need to think about what would be a sensible choice for the ECU (without breaking the bank).

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Cheers

BaileyPerformance

posted on 11/9/13 at 02:41 PM Reply With Quote
Megasquirt, cheapest and the best!

Www.baileyperformance.co.uk

Turnkey Efi installation (using stock inlet) £1200 all in.

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
sdh2903

posted on 11/9/13 at 04:20 PM Reply With Quote
Watching this with interest as duratec a possible engine for my next project.

Excuse my ignorance as I'm not clued up on ecus but is a home built component ecu really better than say omex, mbe, emerald etc? Surely these companies must spend lots of money on R and D for their products? (Or was the mega squirt is best comment more tongue in cheek?)

Steve

BaileyPerformance

posted on 11/9/13 at 04:37 PM Reply With Quote
We have mapped omex, emerald, Mbe and others and prefer megasquirt.

Megasquirt is very flexible and the turning software if very good.

We've mapped 50+ megasquirts on all sorts if engines, as the hardware and code if open to all there are thousands of testers and developers proving every aspect, hardware and software bugs are quickly sorted. That's not to say there is anything wrong with the other Ecu manufacturers but you get more for your money with MS.

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ali f27

posted on 11/9/13 at 04:52 PM Reply With Quote
Hi we use DTA on ours have 2 duratecs running on them 1 road 1 race and have been spot on.
deeceee09

posted on 11/9/13 at 05:21 PM Reply With Quote
I can vouch for Emerald with a Duratec.

Treachery and old age will always triumph over youthful enthusiasm.

big_wasa

posted on 11/9/13 at 06:17 PM Reply With Quote
"a sensible choice for the ECU (without breaking the bank)"

Is very subjective. What's your budget ? Have you got a full car or have you just bought an engine ? I like the oem ecu as its very cheap and no mapping. I haven't done a proper Durtec yet and your not that far away.

Autoflock Motorsport

posted on 11/9/13 at 11:24 PM Reply With Quote
Megasquirt all the way, my friend has reached the limit with his emerald and is looking at the new vipec which seems a very good bit of kit but is around the 900 mark, diyautotune in America can send a ready to rock top spec ecu together with its revised case. Has every feature you would ever need, as bailey have said its a very flexible bit of kit, depending which opewrating software you choose for mapping the interface can be moved around and adjusted so say the mapper you choose is used to omex the mapping interface can be altered to look similar, also hot keys can be used and configures to be the same as other mapping software.

Have a work with Rick at unicorn motorsport developments as he is a tester for bowling & grippe and is always developing new features/code. He deals typically with high end performance engine usually pushing 500+ using ecu's from 500 to 3k so he can give you the exact facts from a non biased point of view, paying big buck doesn't always get you what you need.

hope this helps mate

http://www.diyautotune.com/

Kind regards

Raj

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/23/viewthread.php?tid=183445

atm92484

posted on 12/9/13 at 12:35 AM Reply With Quote
I'm running an MS3X on mine - so far I've been happy with it.

If you want to use the stock coils, keep in mind they do not have drivers so whatever ECU you get needs to be able to handle the higher current.

-Andrew
Build Log

TrophyJem

posted on 12/9/13 at 07:00 AM Reply With Quote
Cheers for the responses. Much appreciated.
My budget is as low as possible without compromising performance.
I have the engine with direct to head throttle bodies and low profile sump etc. I need to sort ecu, flywheel/bell housing and exhaust manifold.
I'll check out the megasquirt option. It sounds very interesting.

BaileyPerformance

posted on 12/9/13 at 07:41 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TrophyJem
Cheers for the responses. Much appreciated.
My budget is as low as possible without compromising performance.
I have the engine with direct to head throttle bodies and low profile sump etc. I need to sort ecu, flywheel/bell housing and exhaust manifold.
I'll check out the megasquirt option. It sounds very interesting.

We can offer a full megasquirt install including Ecu, all wiring, new injectors, installation and mapping for £1200 with warranty.

Www.baileyperformance.co.uk

If you prefer we can map your installation for £250.

ali f27

posted on 12/9/13 at 08:25 AM Reply With Quote
Hi look at rwd motorsport for flywheel and bell housing can use standard pinto clutch and cable works fine on mine and cheapest way
TrophyJem

posted on 12/9/13 at 08:36 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ali f27
Hi look at rwd motorsport for flywheel and bell housing can use standard pinto clutch and cable works fine on mine and cheapest way

That's interesting. I'll take a look.
Cheers

ali f27

posted on 12/9/13 at 08:46 AM Reply With Quote
Also can get you number for paul gardner would think about £800 for dta and loom
Autoflock Motorsport

posted on 12/9/13 at 08:50 AM Reply With Quote
The price off Bailey is shocking!!!

TAKE ADVANTAGE OF IT!!!

fantastic value and also comes with warranty, ive sourced a MS2 for my MK1 fiesta which is running a high comp st170 non VVT with throttle bodies, cost 350 but it is has had a lot of upgrades such as anti lag, launch, boost, closed loop, coil on plug, etc etc most of which will not be used lol. But it just goes to show what you can get and I know this has been built to a high standard, I would recommend either buying from a reputable ecu builder or buying one which has already been checked by an competent builder complete with receipt, there are some shoddy assembler out there which is what put a lot of tuner off MS in the first instance.

Bailey I may be giving you a shout in the near future for some parts I need, (injectors, sensors etc)

Kind regards

Raj

TrophyJem

posted on 12/9/13 at 11:42 AM Reply With Quote
I want to do the install myself. Part of the fun (for me) is learning how it all works and the challenge of doing the install.
BaileyPerformance

posted on 12/9/13 at 01:31 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Autoflock Motorsport
The price off Bailey is shocking!!!

TAKE ADVANTAGE OF IT!!!

fantastic value and also comes with warranty, ive sourced a MS2 for my MK1 fiesta which is running a high comp st170 non VVT with throttle bodies, cost 350 but it is has had a lot of upgrades such as anti lag, launch, boost, closed loop, coil on plug, etc etc most of which will not be used lol. But it just goes to show what you can get and I know this has been built to a high standard, I would recommend either buying from a reputable ecu builder or buying one which has already been checked by an competent builder complete with receipt, there are some shoddy assembler out there which is what put a lot of tuner off MS in the first instance.

Bailey I may be giving you a shout in the near future for some parts I need, (injectors, sensors etc)

Hi,
Give me a shout any time, injector and sensors normally in stock.

Your right, we are reasonable on price, £1200 would not buy a DTA Ecu and loom!! Mite get an omex but you would still need to install and map it.

BaileyPerformance

posted on 12/9/13 at 01:40 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
I want to do the install myself. Part of the fun (for me) is learning how it all works and the challenge of doing the install.

Understood! :-)
Give me a shout if you need any help, all advise free!!
suggest you buy your megasquirt from Phil at extra EFI, we buy all ours from Phil, never had a problem.

beaver34

posted on 12/9/13 at 03:06 PM Reply With Quote
i would allway use the stock ford system if you can, no matter of tuning will get the same quality as the OE mapping
TrophyJem

posted on 12/9/13 at 04:21 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by beaver34
i would allway use the stock ford system if you can, no matter of tuning will get the same quality as the OE mapping

I do not think that's an option as I have direct to head throttle bodies and I won't have a cat etc.

big-vee-twin

posted on 12/9/13 at 06:09 PM Reply With Quote
I imported my MS3 V3 from DIY Autotune and built it myself very easy to do, if you take your time.

I had the luxury of being a qualified electrical/electrocincs engineer though, but I would say the instructions are very good and you test each stage after bilding it and if you get to the end it with no probs it will all work fine.

Have plans to visit Bailey when I can aford it, he's a top guy.

Duratec Engine is fitted, MS2 Extra V3 is assembled and tested, engine running, car now built. IVA passed 26/02/2016

http://www.triangleltd.com

Autoflock Motorsport

posted on 12/9/13 at 07:33 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

I would have to disagree with that matey, if you were leaving the engine in totally standard configuration even with the std exhaust them that post would be very valid as the oem maps have a lot of time spent on them especially things like cruise and cold start maps. But in these circumstances things are totally opposite in respect that the engine is now working in a different environment and also working with non oem parts. Using itb's with a standard ecu could end in tears, instead of the ecu fueling air delivered by one throttle body it has to fuel 4, this could cause the engine to run lean, drt, melt a piston etc.

also people with these sort of car (like myself) arnt too concerned with emissions or mpg but more about getting the best performance which is full accessable using a mapable ecu not to mention adding more safety features which a std ecu may not offer. The list is endless but if you were refferening to the different load sites on a oem ecu then yes they are great for a road car in std trim.

Bailey - in regards to DTA, I have know this brand of ecu to struggle to the same thing twice lol also known to crash during mapping

Kind regards

Raj

TrophyJem

posted on 12/9/13 at 07:43 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by big-vee-twin
I imported my MS3 V3 from DIY Autotune and built it myself very easy to do, if you take your time.

I had the luxury of being a qualified electrical/electrocincs engineer though, but I would say the instructions are very good and you test each stage after bilding it and if you get to the end it with no probs it will all work fine.

That's very interesting. I'm an electronics engineer as well, so no problem with the assembly.
I like that idea.
I'll be contacting DIY Autotune

Cheers

Autoflock Motorsport

posted on 12/9/13 at 07:48 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by big-vee-twin

That's very interesting. I'm an electronics engineer as well, so no problem with the assembly.
I like that idea.
I'll be contacting DIY Autotune

Cheers

I would also consult phil as well, just incase he buys parts in bulk, he may be able to source you raw components cheaper/save on duty, just an idea mate. If you do go this route it would be awsom if you could do an ecu assembly step by step thread, I for one would be very interested and would be happy to donate a swift pint to you at an event ;-)

Kind regards

Raj

beaver34

posted on 12/9/13 at 07:52 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Autoflock Motorsport
quote:

I would have to disagree with that matey, if you were leaving the engine in totally standard configuration even with the std exhaust them that post would be very valid as the oem maps have a lot of time spent on them especially things like cruise and cold start maps. But in these circumstances things are totally opposite in respect that the engine is now working in a different environment and also working with non oem parts. Using itb's with a standard ecu could end in tears, instead of the ecu fueling air delivered by one throttle body it has to fuel 4, this could cause the engine to run lean, drt, melt a piston etc.

also people with these sort of car (like myself) arnt too concerned with emissions or mpg but more about getting the best performance which is full accessable using a mapable ecu not to mention adding more safety features which a std ecu may not offer. The list is endless but if you were refferening to the different load sites on a oem ecu then yes they are great for a road car in std trim.

Bailey - in regards to DTA, I have know this brand of ecu to struggle to the same thing twice lol also known to crash during mapping

he didnt say its wasnt a stock engine though, i did say if you could keep it then do so if not then you have no choice, im no stranger to custom engine builds and standalone management.

allways use the management that the mapper recommends and is happy using, for a spec like this any will cover what you want, some like dta have switching maps and traction control facility.

ive always run my engine on omex, fantastic aftersales and support, great features and other company products integrate faultlessly with it in terms of logging and dash functions.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.