TrophyJem

posted on 12/9/13 at 07:54 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Autoflock Motorsport
quote:
Originally posted by TrophyJem
quote:
Originally posted by big-vee-twin
I imported my MS3 V3 from DIY Autotune and built it myself very easy to do, if you take your time.

I had the luxury of being a qualified electrical/electrocincs engineer though, but I would say the instructions are very good and you test each stage after bilding it and if you get to the end it with no probs it will all work fine.

Have plans to visit Bailey when I can aford it, he's a top guy.

That's very interesting. I'm an electronics engineer as well, so no problem with the assembly.
I like that idea.
I'll be contacting DIY Autotune

Cheers

I would also consult phil as well, just incase he buys parts in bulk, he may be able to source you raw components cheaper/save on duty, just an idea mate. If you do go this route it would be awsom if you could do an ecu assembly step by step thread, I for one would be very interested and would be happy to donate a swift pint to you at an event ;-)

If I go down this route I can do a step by step build blog no problem.
A bit of research required first to help me make my decision.

Autoflock Motorsport

posted on 12/9/13 at 07:56 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by beaver34
quote:
Originally posted by Autoflock Motorsport
quote:
Originally posted by beaver34
i would allway use the stock ford system if you can, no matter of tuning will get the same quality as the OE mapping

I would have to disagree with that matey, if you were leaving the engine in totally standard configuration even with the std exhaust them that post would be very valid as the oem maps have a lot of time spent on them especially things like cruise and cold start maps. But in these circumstances things are totally opposite in respect that the engine is now working in a different environment and also working with non oem parts. Using itb's with a standard ecu could end in tears, instead of the ecu fueling air delivered by one throttle body it has to fuel 4, this could cause the engine to run lean, drt, melt a piston etc.

also people with these sort of car (like myself) arnt too concerned with emissions or mpg but more about getting the best performance which is full accessable using a mapable ecu not to mention adding more safety features which a std ecu may not offer. The list is endless but if you were refferening to the different load sites on a oem ecu then yes they are great for a road car in std trim.

Bailey - in regards to DTA, I have know this brand of ecu to struggle to the same thing twice lol also known to crash during mapping

he didnt say its wasnt a stock engine though, i did say if you could keep it then do so if not then you have no choice, im no stranger to custom engine builds and standalone management.

allways use the management that the mapper recommends and is happy using, for a spec like this any will cover what you want, some like dta have switching maps and traction control facility.

ive always run my engine on omex, fantastic aftersales and support, great features and other company products integrate faultlessly with it in terms of logging and dash functions.

I agree with that mate, I did a fair bit of work for Corten Miller Performance on their 500+bhp civic, also bought an engine from them, when I picked it up they showed the omex system which they were mapping on a 205 gti6, seemed a very competent piece of kit with a nice interface.

Kind regards

Raj

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/23/viewthread.php?tid=183445

eddie99

posted on 13/9/13 at 01:41 PM Reply With Quote
Personally i'd go Omex, Emerald, DTA or MBE.

http://www.elitemotorsporteng.co.uk/

Twitter: @Elitemotoreng

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Elite-Motorsport-Engineering/153409081394323

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
big-vee-twin

posted on 13/9/13 at 06:29 PM Reply With Quote
Well if your an engineer its a no brainer.

The biggest thing I got out of it was learning how electronic ignition and fuel injection systems work and a good understanding of how to program them.

Something I didn't really know about - so now there's nothing on my car I don't know about.

Duratec Engine is fitted, MS2 Extra V3 is assembled and tested, engine running, car now built. IVA passed 26/02/2016

http://www.triangleltd.com

baz-R

posted on 12/11/13 at 07:17 PM Reply With Quote
from what i have read here i woud say your best option would be to get a megasquirt2 and use the most upto date "extra" firmware and build it yourself.
what you need to do is read the extra build manual work out what you need and any extras you want before you order your kit as you add or remove bits to suit
www.msextra.com
also get a jimstim is a good idea to test/play/understand your ms2 and will also give you a bit of build practice if you build it first

i got mine from diyautotune and james (i think that was his name) is very helpful and offers support on the forum.

most ford stuff is a 36-1 vr trigger and your better of running your coils direct (no edis) so you will need to get extra coil drivers.

also read up on what settings your coils (dwell) and injectors (hi or low imp) you need and put these in at the start then you will have no risk of overloading anything when you have it all installed.

oem for kitcars is not that good an idea as you almost always have to change things away from std. to fit the engine into the car and you also dont need to use all the junk that has to go with them.

Kghaas

posted on 20/11/13 at 07:30 PM Reply With Quote
I am going with a Microsquirt. I like the waterproof, small solide package. Haven't started the car yet but It should do the job
DIY Si

posted on 21/11/13 at 09:07 AM Reply With Quote
Whilst I know it's not a Duratec, I'm going MS3X for my V6 build. If you're careful with your coil choices you don't need any extra drivers either. I'm using the big American LS V8 truck coils, and they're all logic driven so nice tiny 5V signals and no large direct current loads into the ECU.

I too built mine, and as long as you have the build manual to hand it's easy to solder together. If importing a kit, it looks like this:

And ends up like this:

“Let your plans be dark and as impenetratable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
Sun Tzu, The Art of War

My new blog: http://spritecave.blogspot.co.uk/

mackei23b

posted on 10/1/14 at 02:59 PM Reply With Quote
I built an MSII before to run a k-series,

Over the Christmas I built an MSIII for my new Duratec project (MSII would have been just as good, but for the extra £60 I've got some additional upgrade options....)

Cheers

Ian

[Edited on 10/1/14 by mackei23b]

Bent Wrench

posted on 6/2/14 at 01:38 PM Reply With Quote
An MS2 is fine for a 4 cylinder, unless you simply must have onboard logging.

I just built one for my Duratec V6 and used a MS2 w/a special 2 channel VR conditioner, 3 injector channels, and 3 ignition channels, fan control, launch contro, and nitrous control.

I prefer the v3.0 board as it is more versatile.

I used an MS3 on my 4 cylinder racer so I could record a race and play it back.

I build them here in the states and would not presume to give a quote without knowing a lot more about the motor and its install.

There are many different ways to build one, add on boards and additional wiring depending on the application.

The only thing Duratec tells me is that it is a 4 (2.3L), 6 (2.5L - 3.0L - 3.5L - 3.7L), or 8 (4.0L) cylinder with a VR cam & crank sensor!

MS is the only system I would consider, as the other systems I have used all seems to paint me into a corner.

AN MS can be made to do most anything, as even the code is open and can be re-written as needed. Try that with a proprietary system!

[Edited on 2/6/14 by Bent Wrench]

[Edited on 2/6/14 by Bent Wrench]

dave_424

posted on 6/2/14 at 05:33 PM Reply With Quote
Got myself a MS2 from DIYautotune, spent a week learning about megasquirt and fuel injection and managed to very easily graft it onto my Kawasaki ZX9 along with a turbo. With a few values from the sensors that I was using and plugging in my injector size, trigger wheel specs etc. it was very easy to get it set up and idling.

Then it went to Dale at Bailey Performance to get it mapped, very happy with the results. By far the best value option and you don't miss out on any of the bells and whistles that come on the other ECU's mentioned.

Also the best thing is that you can upgrade the daughter board in the ECU in the future for many many more bells and whistles that come with MS3

Nitrogeno25

posted on 7/2/14 at 05:09 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by big-vee-twin
Well if your an engineer its a no brainer.

The biggest thing I got out of it was learning how electronic ignition and fuel injection systems work and a good understanding of how to program them.

Something I didn't really know about - so now there's nothing on my car I don't know about.

+1

I'm using megasquirt in my Duratec with very good results. You learn a lot and in the long term you can always track any problem that can arise (and save some $$$)

With the very little that I could learn in the process I was able to help other solve problems with other ECUs.

I think you only need the time to invest in the process (I do it before getting married )

Cheers,

Gonzalo.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.