Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Seasonal J15 musings
theprisioner

posted on 31/12/13 at 12:28 PM Reply With Quote
Seasonal J15 musings

Just before Crimbo I was given a lift by a friend to a talk by John Donaldson (http://www.jdonaldsoncarver.co.uk/workshop.html) a reasonably famous wood sculptor. Unfortunately the visibility was so bad that my friend drove over some concrete markers for the water Toby's. The talk was great but I felt obliged to do some repairs on my friends car to save him an insurance claim. It is one of those Kia runabouts and the rear end was mostly plastic. The damage was limited to the rear valance/bumper/ mudguard.

To gain access to the workshop I had to move out the J15 to a dodgy lockup I rent up town. I now had both my kit cars in one doubtful location away from home.

Anyway I left it there as there was no good weather lately to move it back. And in the interim I got this filthy throat infection.

Today feeling better, I decided to take the plunge, got on my coat, cycled down to the lockup and fired it up. It was raining by now and fairly cold. None the less got into the driving seat and off we went. No I did not take it far, but just the run along the main road to my house was enough to bring a smile to my face.

It is dried off now and back in a air conditioned garage where it belongs.

I still have a couple of mods to do to the car after the summer of proving drives up and down Scotland.

The previous changes before moving it:

* Removed more rattles from the engine compartment
* New boss and steering wheel (this is my third attempt).

The run along the road verified the rattles have indeed reduced thanks to a couple of lumps of U shaped rubber and adjusting the Aero Catches properly.

To Do: Headlight covers.

I have given up with the roll bar changes, I don't want to rip the car apart it is looking so good.

I hope this does not wee of those owners whose cars are either not finished yet, damaged or SORN'd

http://sylvabuild.blogspot.com/

http://austin7special.blogspot.co.uk/

Paul AS

posted on 31/12/13 at 12:38 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

I hope this does not wee of those owners whose cars are either not finished yet, damaged or SORN'd

Far from it. Damaged and SORN'd but enjoying putting it back together with appropriate improvements.

Have a good New Year and Hogmanay.

Jenko

posted on 31/12/13 at 06:40 PM Reply With Quote
Good stuff....nice to hear of any j15 experiences....sounds like your making progress on the rattles..I'm sure I will have to do the same.

MY BLOG - http://westfieldv8.blogspot.co.uk/

deeceee09

posted on 1/1/14 at 07:13 PM Reply With Quote
Not so keen on venturing out at this time of the year I must admit!

Having removed the engine and gearbox a few weeks ago to get the box rebuilt (no third gear synchro) and replace an oil seal on the engine, a friend came over to help with the re-install. Hmmm he said, it pleased him to see a car in more bits than his single seater. I guess J15s have more bits than single seaters anyway!

Jobs list for the winter include:-

Relocate shoulder strap mounts.
Fit headlamp covers.
Fit towing eyes.
Relocate/replace top steering column bearing, it was too close to the lower one and with a slightly loose bearing allowed the steering wheel some movement. This all caused by replacing the Fiesta column after IVA.
Extend rear wheel archs to allow for wider tyres. My present ones are not fully covered which caused a few moans from scrutineers.

I am now waiting for the sprint calendar to be published for this year.

Happy new year all!!

Treachery and old age will always triumph over youthful enthusiasm.

nickm

posted on 2/1/14 at 08:28 PM Reply With Quote
Hi
No, love to hear about driving a J15 helps with the motivation on cold wet days in the garage. Spent 2hrs putting the garage door back on this morn.

Nick M

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.