Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: oh oh whats wrong with my laptop???
Mr Whippy

posted on 11/3/14 at 11:27 PM Reply With Quote
oh oh whats wrong with my laptop???

I have a HP laptop, what I'm using right now, its been well looked after and always kept clean

I was just in youtube 20 mins ago listening to music when it started making a once a second high pitched chirping noise so I turned it off. When I tried the restart it came up with a message No boot device and inset boot disk

So I switched it off again and gave it a thump and now its going again as normal with no strange noises.

What's wrong with it??? I'm just about to save the C drive to an external hard drive but is there other things I should be doing???

advice please, scared to turn it off now in case it doesn't go back on again its normally a good behaved machine

thanks

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
woodstock

posted on 12/3/14 at 12:20 AM Reply With Quote
That does sound like it could be your hard disk on the way out. Your laptop will only have one physical drive even if it shows as more than one in Windows so I'd backup all your data to an external drive over USB or your network. Prioritise the most important bits in case it goes while you are trying to backup.
Mr Whippy

posted on 12/3/14 at 12:41 AM Reply With Quote
this is very sad I don't even have disks for windows etc, even if I got a new hard drive I'd have to buy them and then somehow sort out all the systems files etc don't know how to do that

computer looks like new damn

thanks for the advice though

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
woodstock

posted on 12/3/14 at 12:52 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
this is very sad I don't even have disks for windows etc, even if I got a new hard drive I'd have to buy them and then somehow sort out all the systems files etc don't know how to do that

You can possibly clone the disk if it stays alive long enough. You could clone it to an image on usb drive now and then restore that to the new drive once you have it. Alternatively you can clone disk to disk once you have the new one. I haven't done this in while so can't really recommend a product. For simplicity you can get something like USB3.0 2-Bay 2.5"'/3.5"' SATA Hard Drive Disk Dock Station HDD Cloning Duplicator although i've not used one so can't be sure how good it'll be. They normally assume the disk is working.

You will need to know if the disk is SATA or IDE though. If it's recent it's probably SATA

coyoteboy

posted on 12/3/14 at 01:41 AM Reply With Quote
Clone it.

or

Swap to Linux

or

Find a dodgy copy of windows.

britishtrident

posted on 12/3/14 at 07:31 AM Reply With Quote
Simple things first, it could well be a problem with the fan causing overheating, on laptops a good clean out of accumulated dust from theheat sink and fan and cleaning the contacts on the hard disk and memory can work wonders.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

ReMan

posted on 12/3/14 at 08:15 AM Reply With Quote
As said it certainly sounds like the disk
Assume it is and prioritise saving any important data , pictures docs etc onto a USB stick or external drive if its too big.
After that then look to fix/replace as suggested

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

The Venom Project

posted on 12/3/14 at 11:39 AM Reply With Quote
Sounds like the disk platter is buggered. Some HDD's make a pretty tune when they are Fecked

It's not that i'm lazy, it's that I just don't care.....

The Venom Project

posted on 12/3/14 at 11:41 AM Reply With Quote
In the past I have removed certain drives failing and put them in a bag and into the freezer for 2 hrs, this normally allows operational time to remove some if not all data before the heat generated causes the failure

Just don't forget you put it in there like one of my members of staff did after 2 weeks (Has anyone seen the hard drive from this machine?, not since you put it in the freezer Jim)

It's not that i'm lazy, it's that I just don't care.....

ken555

posted on 12/3/14 at 02:10 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy

If you're stuck, I teach Computing at the College in ABZ, would be 1/2 days "exercise" for one of my students to swap the drive and re-install everything for you.

Bag of sweets/Pack of biscuits would be all the payment they need

britishtrident

posted on 12/3/14 at 03:51 PM Reply With Quote
You guys are much much too quick to jump to the conclusion it is the hard disk --- yes it could well be but always check simple cheap to fix things first, an overheating processor can lead to some pretty odd symptoms.

Video play back is highly CPU intensive if like most laptops the cooling system is full of fluff and the fan gunge up the CPU will just fall over until it cools down which fits the description.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

gremlin1234

posted on 12/3/14 at 04:21 PM Reply With Quote
whether its the drive or not, you should make a good backup asap.

also hp laptops usually have a recovery partition on the disk, but restoring from that restores windows but destroys your data.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.