Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: New to Site - need advice Tiger Lit Car
Huttojb

posted on 21/5/14 at 09:17 PM Reply With Quote
New to Site - need advice Tiger Lit Car

Hey all

New to site so hello everyone.

I brought a kit car last year, pre built (I know, you don't have to say) And I'm having a few issues.

The Tiger has a CBR1000F engine fitted which is the source of the issue. I've currently have an oil leak which is causing endless sleepless nights. As it's a car with a motorbike engine, car garages won't touch it, but also bike garages won't touch it due to space.

I have an electronic back ground and don't enjoy messing with mechanical stuff, give me lights, eps, CAN bus and I'm all over it.

I'm currently ripping the dash out, putting a new dash in, eps, making the car CAN BUS and fitting new seats.

Now, this is me asking for help. I'm looking for someone to either sort out my engine or help me fit a new engine. I've looked on Scottish Kit Car Centre and considering a newer engine but like I said before, if I can't use a DMM I have no clue.

I live in the Birmingham Area and are willing to travel if required.

I'll post pictures over the weekend before I start ripping everything out.

I will have a window screen, window wipers, wash bottle and roof hood if anyone is interested for swapping for something I might need.

MikeR

posted on 21/5/14 at 09:23 PM Reply With Quote
Add your post code to the location - it will make it easier for someone close to find you (Birmingham is a bit big).

I'm not sure if its normally there thing but procomp may be able to help - they're based in Erdington.

If the problem is just an oil leak with the particular engine - wouldn't it be easier to buy an identical engine and just swap it - I keep hearing how light those bike engines are, you should be able to remove it with a large lump of wood suspended between you and a mate.

Huttojb

posted on 21/5/14 at 09:38 PM Reply With Quote
Thank you post code is B31.

I thought about this. I was told it's only mounted in 5 places and the mounting to the drive shaft and basically it's out. I was told the crank shaft case is split but not sure how true that is.

I also think the engine needs the carbs tuned as it cuts out sometimes and hard to start. Like I said, I'm not a mechanic, I'm an electronics engineer and my background is with EPS systems and now I'm working in Aerospace. I'll look into procomp; what are they?

Jason

Trollyjack

posted on 21/5/14 at 09:51 PM Reply With Quote
link to procomp

Matt it Guy to speak to, he may be able to help but dont know if the touch bike engines

TrollyJack

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Slimy38

posted on 22/5/14 at 07:17 AM Reply With Quote
Can you at least see where the oil is coming from? Give it a bit of a clean and degrease, then take it out for a spin (or just run the engine if it's that bad a leak). Once you can see where it's coming from you may have a much easier job of fixing it. For example, my bike engine has a leak at the gear change shaft, it just needs a new seal fitting. Sump seals are also a common source of leaks.

If it is the crank case that is damaged, then I'd strongly recommend a new engine, it'll be a lot less hassle. As you say, a handful of bolts and a few wires to unplug, and up it comes.

JMW

posted on 22/5/14 at 09:48 AM Reply With Quote
I for one get a trojan warning when I try to fire up procomps website. I did ring them and tell them this on Monday.
Shandylegs

posted on 22/5/14 at 10:22 AM Reply With Quote
Unless the engine is in perfect fettle it's not worth messing with. Two options as I see it

Option one - Replace with like for like.
The newest engines you will find will still be 20 years old and being from a sports tourer is likely to have been to the moon and back. The flipside of this is that they are very cheap to buy and generally durable. There are slight model differences throughout the years but a couple of hundred quid (+ Labour costs if you can't do it yourself) should see you back on the road.

Option two - Switch to something more modern.
New cradle or mounts, prop adapter, exhaust, changes to wiring and potentially fuel systems = Shed load of money!

MikeRJ

posted on 22/5/14 at 10:23 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JMW
I for one get a trojan warning when I try to fire up procomps website. I did ring them and tell them this on Monday.

It seems fine from me, both from work (where we have an intrusive amount of network security) and from home.

JMW

posted on 22/5/14 at 11:04 AM Reply With Quote
My Kaspersky reports "the object is infected by HEUR:Trojan.script.generic"

Could be a false negative I suppose.

olimarler

posted on 22/5/14 at 12:48 PM Reply With Quote
Hiya,

I have this engine in a Locost come and have a look I'm in MIlton keynes so not to far!

olimarler

posted on 22/5/14 at 02:28 PM Reply With Quote
PS it's a great engine I love it!
Huttojb

posted on 22/5/14 at 04:42 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks everyone for your comments,

Olimarler - Thats a great offer and may take you up on it, be nice to see what I can make better. If you fancy helping fixing / changing my engine, all you need to do is ask!!! lol

I'm concluded that I may have to take the engine out and either have it re-built or changed, I'm concerned about the alighment of the engine to the driveshaft as I didn't originally fit the engine I'm not sure on how important this is?

I'll definatly take some pictures of the engine and post them over the weekend.

I'll definatly phone procomp soon and discuss if they can help.

Shadylegs - Thanks you your advise, I think if I'm gonna spend on the car, which it looks like I am, I might aswell just get a newer engine. But again, this is where I struggling to get someone to do the mechanical bit of it. As the car is currently functioning and driving, hopefully it wont be that much issue but I understand your comments fully.

Jason

olimarler

posted on 22/5/14 at 04:52 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Jason,

Happy to help where I can. I don't have my boy most Sundays as he is with his mum so yeah would be good.

The engine alignment is critical but let see the pics.

Try AB performance as he deals mainly with cBR engines but the RR version which is where I'd like to head eventually.

My cars not the neatest but it goes well and put a smile on my face!

What colour is it? As there was another f engine in a sevenesque sold a year back!

Oli

Huttojb

posted on 22/5/14 at 06:25 PM Reply With Quote
Hey.

Mine Orange (is there any other colour).

I can't seem to upload a picture, always says unsupported format.

Jason.

Huttojb

posted on 26/5/14 at 04:48 PM Reply With Quote

Shandylegs

posted on 26/5/14 at 06:21 PM Reply With Quote
I'm liking that. Someone has put in alot of thought to the installation. Engine looks to be mounted way back, decent exhaust system and generally looks a good conversion. The only slight negative I can see is that the airbox looks little small so may be resticting things higher in the rev range.

From the pictures I wouldn't worry about the prop angle, the engine may be offset but looks to be square to the diff so there should be no problems.

If the oil leak is heavy I'd look for a like for like engine swap and perhaps look to keep what you have as a little project to rebuild in your spare time.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.