Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: 18yr old + manual gearbox =
sdh2903

posted on 12/6/14 at 08:09 PM Reply With Quote
18yr old + manual gearbox =

Following on from my previous post regarding my step sons failed clutch on his corsa, cracked it open today to reveal this:

clutch1
clutch1

clutch2
clutch2

Looks like the friction material has just dramatically let go?

Now I expected the flywheel to be mullered, but its not too bad, theres a small scratch in the middle that's only just able to be felt by finger tip, infact im half tempted to just chuck the new clutch and slave cylinder in, Or am I asking for trouble not getting it machined or getting a new one? Pic below

clutch3
clutch3

CosKev3

posted on 12/6/14 at 08:19 PM Reply With Quote
You missed part of your sum out

18yr old + manual gearbox + Mcd's carpark =

perksy

posted on 12/6/14 at 08:48 PM Reply With Quote
Fair play that's a decent effort

Difficult to say from the photo, but if he's keeping the car it looks like the flywheel might need looking at ?

sdh2903

posted on 12/6/14 at 09:09 PM Reply With Quote
I'm not sure about the flywheel I'm in two minds. The scratch really is very light. But on the flip side I'd be well miffed if I had to do it again in 6 months time.
Nickp

posted on 12/6/14 at 09:13 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sdh2903
I'm not sure about the flywheel I'm in two minds. The scratch really is very light. But on the flip side I'd be well miffed if I had to do it again in 6 months time.

I'll be surprised if it lasts 6mths, new flywheel or not

sdh2903

posted on 12/6/14 at 09:15 PM Reply With Quote
Very true.

Car has only done 48k

coyoteboy

posted on 12/6/14 at 11:21 PM Reply With Quote
I managed similar with my gt4. 5000RPM, sidestep the clutch, spin 4 wheels, BANG. Whole weekend wasted changing it, but Christ it showed me how fast a 4wd with full boost can launch!

mcerd1

posted on 13/6/14 at 10:26 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sdh2903

How good does it really need to be for a 1.2 corsa ?
are there any high points or is it just a scratch into the surface?

I'd be very tempted to just throw in another cheap clutch and forget about it

btw - I hope he's helping you do the work to the car - just tell him he better pay attention cause if it happens again he's doing it himself

-----------------

when we were 18 one of my mates managed to blow the diff in his scabby old 1.6 civic while trying to do wheelspins (he was always a bit of an arse)

we found bits of diff and gearbox casing all over a 10m radius - some came up thought the bonnet, it looked like it had been shot with an assault rifle from inside the engine bay

[Edited on 13/6/2014 by mcerd1]

-

sdh2903

posted on 13/6/14 at 12:10 PM Reply With Quote
Yes he was helping. Especially fetching me coffee. Already told him any more self inflicted damage he's paying garage rates.

Flywheel was just a very light scratch. Ran a bit of emery over it to clean it up and new clutch thrown in. Just wrestling the box back in now

loggyboy

posted on 13/6/14 at 12:35 PM Reply With Quote
Vaguely similar to mine - after being ragged around Bedford Autodrome:

Oddly it was perfect on the other side:

My guide had disentigrated, but wasnt sure if it was the cause or a sympton - my hunch was cause:

Mistral Motorsport

The Venom Project

posted on 13/6/14 at 03:04 PM Reply With Quote
I would say your son needs to learn how to drive first

It's not that i'm lazy, it's that I just don't care.....

jacko

posted on 13/6/14 at 03:44 PM Reply With Quote
Come on we have all been there and done things we should not have done

As long as he is learning how to repair it for next time
Jacko

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
bi22le

posted on 13/6/14 at 04:08 PM Reply With Quote
I remember the first time I went to Max power show and I watched the stunt show. One of the tricks they did was to reverse a FWD car then finds first while rolling back and drop the clutch.

Bag loads of smoke and sideways movement made it look very cool.

I went home and tried it in my 6 month old Fiesta Zetec. It made a horrible bang but no rattle. That was close enough to me breaking a car I could never of afforded to fix so didn't do it again!

Lucky excape, probably didnt have big enough balls to do it properly. .

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

sdh2903

posted on 13/6/14 at 06:30 PM Reply With Quote
All done and dusted and working. Had a right mare with the slave cylinder/bearing as the torx head bolts rounded. Ended up welding a bolt onto them to get em out.

I must admit I wore the clutch out on my first car. But not in as spectacular fashion as this

The clutch has been hung on the garage wall as a trophy. He's been told his 1.2 is not a rally car and if it needs another clutch he will be paying the £380 I was quoted at the local garage. He is a first year plumbing apprentice so a months wages on a new clutch actually made him think.

I don't mind doing favours for him as when he's a qualified plumber I will be calling them back in. With interest

Agriv8

posted on 13/6/14 at 07:38 PM Reply With Quote
Yes but at 18 we all know that wheel spins make you irresistible to the young ladies.

Or putting it another way.

At 18, when it's brains vers balls the balls are going to win in 9 of 10 occasions.

18 that was 25 years ago ( gulp)

ATB agriv8

[Edited on 13/6/14 by Agriv8]

[Edited on 13/6/14 by Agriv8]

Taller than your average Guy !
Management is like a tree of monkeys. - Those at the top look down and see a tree full of smiling faces. BUT Those at the bottom look up and see a tree full of a*seholes .............

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.