Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Chain drive Diff
The Venom Project

posted on 11/2/15 at 01:50 PM Reply With Quote
Chain drive Diff

Good afternoon chaps,

Who is using a Chain Diff, and who is using one that also has a reverse system by means of a starter motor on to some sort of ring gear?

i'm going to be on with building a buggy soon and need a chain diff to marry up to a V-Twin Honda VTR 1000cc engine, but need some for of reverse, was trying to steer clear of the Lynx reverse I had fitted on my TR1KE as it was okay on the flat, but useless on any incline.

Any ideas would be very much appreciated.

I had thought to fit a reverse box inline with the sprocket from the engine, and take the final drive from the other side down to a Chain diff. But unsure of how much strain this will put on the gearbox?

I had also thought to run the engine sideways on and use a prop adaptor from the engine to a sliding shaft like on the MNR to the gearbox, then another sliding prop out to a proper diff?

Like I say, many ideas, but no real idea what is going to be best. This buggy is going to be mainly driven on the road, but will be setup to perform just as well on a track and off road, much like a Drakart or Rage

These are my ideas so far.

http://www.eliteracingtransmissions.com/products/reverse-box/

http://www.westhouse.plus.com/chaindrive1_files/page13_10.jpg

Cheers

Nick

It's not that i'm lazy, it's that I just don't care.....

mark chandler

posted on 11/2/15 at 02:30 PM Reply With Quote
Not that it helps with a reverse but I did see someone who had modified a Range Rover transfer box to get from the engine to the rear wheels.

Get a late Classic and it will provide you with a chain drive top to bottom with an LSD and switchable hi/low with standard flanges going to the half shafts.

An earlier one is gear driven, no LSD but open diff with a diff lock.

Not the lightest of things, maybe 25kg but you could always strip out the low range to make a little lighter.

The gears are all self contained within the transfer box, the input shaft from the engine is floating so easy enough to mate up with the engine, just the splined input shaft and add a gear for a starter motor.

Food for though, should be pretty cheap still as well.

Dopdog

posted on 11/2/15 at 07:16 PM Reply With Quote
I was going to suggest west garage
motorcycle_mayhem

posted on 11/2/15 at 08:18 PM Reply With Quote
I have a couple of things for you to perhaps consider, perusal of my stuff4sale photo archive thingy might be of interest.

There's a fully kitted out heavy duty chain drive unit (the steel black framed version in the pictures). Complete with starter motor and everything else, simply weld the lugs to pivot the thing from your crankcase mounts. It's all new, unused, just assembled and then removed from the car it was on. The Quaife differential in the centre of it is also new and unused, if that isn't required, I do have a freshly canned open Fiesta differential that will replace it. None of this will be cheap.

The alloy set-up is off a Jedi Race Car, I doubt very much if that is what you require, since it's aimed at a lightweight minimalist solution. Beautifully made though. This won't be too cheap either.

The heavy duty drive was acquired to replace the standard set-up on a road going Riot. This hasn't happened, but that's another option. The standard set up on a Riot consists of two triangular frames supporting the bearings, suspended off the crankcase mounts. If you desired this, then it would give me the kick up the butt to get the HD drive on the car. It does come with a good used car starter motor, but you'll need to find/make a ring gear. This would be cheaper. A more expensive option would be to buy the car...

[img]
[/img]

[img]
[/img]

dave_424

posted on 11/2/15 at 08:19 PM Reply With Quote
Me and a friend are building an Edge Barracuda buggy, hayabusa engine and chain drive LSD, we used a Subaru legacy (i think) starter motor and a large gear on the diff to get reverse, it works quite well with his HUGE heavy wheels and tyres even makes it up some small inclines, in something lighter and with smaller tyres I think it would work well even up moderate hills

russbost

posted on 11/2/15 at 08:20 PM Reply With Quote
This is what I use on the Furore, uses the Toyota starter motor from the donor - can't say it's brilliant on any sort of incline tho'

[img] Chain drive diff
Chain drive diff
[/img]

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
coyoteboy

posted on 11/2/15 at 08:38 PM Reply With Quote
Want more power - look at the Audi ABZ starter - 2.2kW monster. Weighs about 5kg though!

The Venom Project

posted on 12/2/15 at 03:57 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers guys for all the ideas, I am unsure what diff ratio I will need for a 1000cc V-Twin motor. Does 3.14 sound correct?

Am I making it harder to get a diff with the type of engine?

It's not that i'm lazy, it's that I just don't care.....

CNHSS1

posted on 12/2/15 at 03:59 PM Reply With Quote
Luvvin the buggy, that's uber cool

"Racing is life, everything else, before or after, is just waiting"---Steve McQueen

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.