Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: OK - who likes their job?
nick205

posted on 24/12/15 at 09:15 AM Reply With Quote
OK - who likes their job?

Seasonal question, who likes their job?

I find the older I get the more I do my job to get paid, not for the pleasure of it. It's OK, but I don't struggle to think of other jobs I'd rather do.

joneh

posted on 24/12/15 at 09:25 AM Reply With Quote
Yeah I do, it's quite interesting and the company is a good place to work. I'm currently part of a team that test the air traffic control mainframe software.
loggyboy

posted on 24/12/15 at 09:28 AM Reply With Quote
I don't think I could find any job pleasurable! Anything you have to do 40 hours a week, 5 days a week (or more for some poor sods) will inevitably loose its fun factor.
However I am happy where I am, and cant think of any job id rather do without spending years retraining. Even my hobbies would be ruined if I had to do them as a job.

Mistral Motorsport

sprintB+

posted on 24/12/15 at 09:34 AM Reply With Quote
I'm in the process of retiring, due to ill health, but I'm close to 65 anyway. Been on my tools since 15, hated it, loved it left it came back to it, a few times, settled in, made a name for myself (legend in my own lunchbox). From 50 until now has gone so quick, I wonder how I'm going to mentally cope with being alone. Building kit car again ? maybe a hot rod ( am I allowed to say that on here?) Still got my brain and my hands, so bigger garage, install some basic machines and get going I think. Actually to answer your question, I think I like my work. And I think I'm going to miss it.
nick205

posted on 24/12/15 at 09:39 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by joneh
Yeah I do, it's quite interesting and the company is a good place to work. I'm currently part of a team that test the air traffic control mainframe software.

Now do you work in Swanwick?

If it's who I think it is they do some quite interesting work.

garyt

posted on 24/12/15 at 10:02 AM Reply With Quote
I'm a cooper, no not mini or tommy, make and repair whisky barrels, I've been with the same company since 1986 this time, started there in 78, went away to a distillery for a few years and went back, we work pure piece work no fall back rate no perks just come in a 6.30 am do as many as you can by 5pm and get paid so it may not be the best company but Im fairly content there and it pays for toys and bills.
Yes I do look at other jobs and wonder but then don't we all " the grass is greener on the other side " and all that

remember we are not mad just creatively insane !!!!!

nick205

posted on 24/12/15 at 10:07 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by garyt
I'm a cooper, no not mini or tommy, make and repair whisky barrels, I've been with the same company since 1986 this time, started there in 78, went away to a distillery for a few years and went back, we work pure piece work no fall back rate no perks just come in a 6.30 am do as many as you can by 5pm and get paid so it may not be the best company but Im fairly content there and it pays for toys and bills.
Yes I do look at other jobs and wonder but then don't we all " the grass is greener on the other side " and all that

Sounds satisfying work to me and the length of time you've done it speaks volumes!

Much in the way of samples to try

coozer

posted on 24/12/15 at 10:13 AM Reply With Quote
I like mine, as you expect I quite like the role of executive director. It does bring some benefits, although theres nothing special about that as you raise your eye lids cause all i do is drive other peoples trucks

I often wonder what my life would have been like if they had kept the pits open. Only thing that's certain is I would have been better off but at this time as I plan next years foreign excursions I can't complain.

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

garyt

posted on 24/12/15 at 10:14 AM Reply With Quote
no samples they belong to her majesty's customs and excise people
now if you ever watch Julia Bradbury walking the speyside way there were tales of "sampling" not that I know anything about that you understand

remember we are not mad just creatively insane !!!!!

daniel mason

posted on 24/12/15 at 10:16 AM Reply With Quote
I love mine! I'm off to work now as well.
SJ

posted on 24/12/15 at 10:18 AM Reply With Quote
I love mine. The company is great and the job really interesting.

Until I find someone willing to pay me a decent wage to potter in the garage though I'll never be truly happy.

joneh

posted on 24/12/15 at 10:20 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nick205
quote:

I'm based at the corporate and technical headquarters in Whiteley. We have a full setup there for testing.

nick205

posted on 24/12/15 at 10:23 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by nick205
quote:

I'm based at the corporate and technical headquarters in Whiteley. We have a full setup there for testing.

Ahh OK, been to both sites. We supply to your employer from time to time.

Whiteley is hard work for parking, but a pleasant atmosphere and some good people too.

Slimy38

posted on 24/12/15 at 10:39 AM Reply With Quote
I quite like my job, although I've only been there for a month so it's bound to be enjoyable!

I still wouldn't think twice about packing it all in if I could pay the bills some other way.

sdh2903

posted on 24/12/15 at 10:53 AM Reply With Quote
I love my job and can't see me doing anything else for the next 30 odd years. Although there are a few downsides, nightshifts, 365 days a year ops, long hours etc but I still love it
steve8274

posted on 24/12/15 at 10:57 AM Reply With Quote
Used to love my job, now it's just ok.
I'm a firefighter and the job has changed massively. Mostly for the good however the government are constantly undermining the good work that has been done and is forever reducing budgets meaning lots of cut backs.
The people who I work with are great but I think I have got to the stage where I need to change. Don't want all the changes to leave a bitter taste in my mouth of how it used to be.
Can't even say the pay is good or hours we work are sociable. I'm in tonight and tomorrow so not family friendly really.
Just need to think what else I can do instead. Got my class 1 license but not my 5 modules so maybe that's an option.

motorcycle_mayhem

posted on 24/12/15 at 10:57 AM Reply With Quote
I very much enjoyed my job, R+D in the Pharma/Drug Discovery sector.

Unfortunately, that industry is now dead, and being over 50 it appears that I am clinically dead too.
Really sad to see Astra Charnwood now a rubbish tip, Pfizer all but gone, what's left of the others is disappearing.

I now deliver supermarket groceries to the morbidly obese, it's not quite the same intellectual thrill, but it has it's comical moments. No one seems to want to these sort of jobs, despite not meeting my 'targets' since I drive the vans 100% legally (though the vans may not be), I get continually called for work.

blakep82

posted on 24/12/15 at 11:05 AM Reply With Quote
Me me me!
Just started the job I always wanted leaving school 15 years ago. I get to build awesome ships. Although I haven't actually started in the yard yet, I go there on the 5th and that should be me there full time
I hope I still like it by the time my times out in 3 years lol

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

CosKev3

posted on 24/12/15 at 11:09 AM Reply With Quote
Can't moan about mine really

35hours a week over 4 days driving at up to 100mph through our lovely countryside(and not so lovely city's)

trextr7monkey

posted on 24/12/15 at 11:29 AM Reply With Quote
Me running workshops in a private school teaching older kids who tend to be doing their own thing. Money is average but more than made up by the holidays.
It could be better with less Government interference but I guess that's true for everyone

http://www.flickr.com/photos/14016102@N00/ (cut and paste this dodgey link)

Our most recent pics are here:
http://s129.photobucket.com/albums/p211/trextr7monkey/

nick205

posted on 24/12/15 at 11:49 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by trextr7monkey
who tend to be doing their own thing

Love it "people who tend to be doing their own thing"

Best way, avoids disappointment I find!

maccmike

posted on 24/12/15 at 12:39 PM Reply With Quote
I love my job. Feel very fortunate.
Scottish Westy

posted on 24/12/15 at 12:45 PM Reply With Quote
Me, if I still had it

Paid off with another 50-60 2 weeks ago.

r1_pete

posted on 24/12/15 at 12:55 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Mainframes, now there's something I did enjoy, MVS to OS390, now z/OS, x Systems programmer and Storage Manager, now just a bloody manager and hate it with a passion.

Every year I tell myself go back to being a teccie, and every year I do sod all about it.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
MikeRJ

posted on 24/12/15 at 01:02 PM Reply With Quote
I mostly love my job; freedom to get on and do the stuff that needs doing without micro managing, a boss who's more like a good mate, flexi-time and a decent salary. I don't mind the long hours I quite often have to work (for free as I'm salaried), and actually quite enjoy working late as you can get loads done without interruption.

OTOH I don't like the general corporate BS (US company), and I get quite wound up by vastly overpaid senior staff making utterly brain-dead decisions on regular basis, but I doubt I'd find anything remotely as good without moving quite a long way.

Don't like the commute in the winter (30 miles each way) but enjoy it in the summer when I dust of the Fireblade and arrive at work with a big grin

[Edited on 24/12/15 by MikeRJ]

<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.