Do not know

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: EU Brexit Poll
johnemms

posted on 19/2/16 at 11:18 PM Reply With Quote
EU Brexit Poll

What is the consensus of the Locostbuilders on leaving/staying in the EU ?
tegwin

posted on 19/2/16 at 11:32 PM Reply With Quote
There's so much wishy washy propaganda from both sides and little fact...rather unsure that the deal Cameron has struck will be worth the velum it's written on!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

britishtrident

posted on 19/2/16 at 11:34 PM Reply With Quote
The EU would be avery different place if the Home Counties had actually made some effort to take part in the decision making from the start.

If the UK leaves the EU it will become almost certain that the UK will break up.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

Hodor

posted on 19/2/16 at 11:37 PM Reply With Quote
It's a similar situation to the Scottish independence vote we had last year in my opinion. For me, I reckon I get the best of both worlds being both British and Scottish, I kind of feel the same about being in Europe. I'm in.
coozer

posted on 19/2/16 at 11:43 PM Reply With Quote
I'm out!! Looks what happened to our country since Thatcher took over!!

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

bi22le

posted on 20/2/16 at 12:39 AM Reply With Quote
I can't make a decision as i currently have no facts to base it on.

Once all the BS settles i can start to get an understanding of what consequences are off leaving compared to what we have.

As for this negotiations from this week, they will mean 0. Foreign media are barely reporting due to tiny changes Cameron is asking for.

An absolute circus.

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

SteveWalker

posted on 20/2/16 at 01:26 AM Reply With Quote
I'd really like to stay in a reformed EU, but that's never going to happen.
craig1410

posted on 20/2/16 at 02:04 AM Reply With Quote
I need to see the details of whatever deal has been reached but I suspect it won't be enough to stop me voting to leave the EU. That will probably give Sturgeon and Salmond an excuse to go back on their "once in a generation" independence vote pledge which could result in a UK break up. Quite honestly, if that happens my family and business will relocate to England, probably rural Yorkshire. I still don't understand why the SNP want to trade UK membership for EU membership as they would just be a smaller fish in a bigger pond. Crazy!

Interesting times ahead...

snapper

posted on 20/2/16 at 06:08 AM Reply With Quote
I don't think we have the slightest idea what being out will look like
I have a very deep fear that the general public will vote out just because of the migrant crisis confusing EU free movement with non EU migration due to the Middle East crisis.
One thing is for sure, if we leave the French will be giving free tickets to migrants and the jungle camp will move to British shores
The next issue will be that British produce will suddenly not be compliant with EU regulations
The list will go on and on

I'm in because I cannot image what out will realy look like

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

jeffw

posted on 20/2/16 at 06:41 AM Reply With Quote
Start imagining.....

We are leaving. If that means the Scots get another vote and decide to leave the UK, so be it, sorry to see you go and all that. The UK government and UK laws need to sovereign over this country and not a lot of nonsense coming from Brussels.

cliftyhanger

posted on 20/2/16 at 07:25 AM Reply With Quote
The things that worry me are the economics of it all.
Any exports to the EU would attract a 10% import duty, so factories making stuff here that is sold in europe would have to move there, taking jobs. Lots of them.
Then there is the American issue. Our "special" relationship is more one-way that we would like to imagine. If we lose our influence in Europe, we are of rather less use to the Americans.
And just think, we will go from being part of a global super-power to a rather smaller independent economy where we will have to attract investment and business by doing whatever those companies want. That is a 2 edged sword, yes, we can sell ourselves, but at what cost to us?
Lastly, anybody who thinks we will get a great trade deal with the EU is mad. If we leave, they WILL make us pay, And the EU will have by far the stronger hand.

jeffw

posted on 20/2/16 at 07:43 AM Reply With Quote
and we will make them pay to sell their BMW, Mercs & Audi. The UK is a very large market for the EU.

cliftyhanger

posted on 20/2/16 at 07:56 AM Reply With Quote
Very true.
But what I was suggesting is that all those nissans, toyotas, (mini?) and other car manufacturers are likely to move into mainland europe to avoid the 10% charge. That far outweighs german car drives having to pay more.
In fact many good we buy may well have a price hike as these import duties tend to be tat for tat. Not helpful to the consumer.

Shooter63

posted on 20/2/16 at 08:23 AM Reply With Quote
I think the result will depend on what part of the population will vote, not on the propaganda pumped out by both sides, if you are old enough to remember how the uk traded before we entered the common market, because that's what it was originally called, and that part of the population votes on mass,then the result could be out, if the younger people get be bothered to vote then we could stay in.
People with the most to loose/gain will shout loudest telling us it will be shangrila which way suits them.
A example of how different things affect different people is as follows, last week I went to get my barnet cut at the normal place and knowing that the barber is a angler I asked how the fishing was going woo hoo that hit a nerve, he went on to tell me that there are naff all fish left in the rivers/ lakes due to the Eastern Europeans netting all the fish out ( they eat fresh water fish) as there are around 6m anglers in the country, that will be a mass out vote, are they right or wrong who knows.
No doubt a business man will counter will a tail of how he trades only with Europe and leaving will put x amount of people out of work, then that will be countered by a worker who has lost his job due to a European company taking the work .
The ins will say we have had peace for the longest time ever in Europe, while the outs will say the Germans have got European domination without a bullet being fired.
Both sides will court the media and have been for some time to get them onside. Will I as an employee( I work in construction so am not really affected )be any better off which ever way the vote goes, that I doubt very much.
As I'm a cynical bastard and believe no politician ever tells the truth, I will buy a big bag of snacks, sit back, and watch the biggest bun fight this country will ever seen.

Shooter

sprintB+

posted on 20/2/16 at 09:09 AM Reply With Quote
I really hope we stay in. Back in the 80's I worked extensively in Europe and became one of Maggie's little children. I used to earn a fortune ! I accepted that I was a foreigner and worked really hard at getting accepted. If we drop out I feel we will become a third world country, no one will want to know, why? well we haven't got a lot left to offer have we. We sacrificed everything to believe that Blair and his cronies knew what they were doing ! We dont build ships, we dont own our own power structures, all the gas and electric is now foreign owned, even the banks are going abroad despite being told the opposite. This country has become reliant on hand outs and stay at home culture. We can only survive if we change that culture and all get back to work, everyone should pull together, but I doubt that most "will be bovvered" it doesn't affect me, well I think it will affect everyone. Tata has made it clear, its off ! Honda and Nissan next?
zetec

posted on 20/2/16 at 09:34 AM Reply With Quote
I'm in. Trade with the EU will become a lot harder if we jump ship. International companies like the stability of the EU so if they move out of the UK then the jobs go too. Yes we have a lot of foreign workers but their kids are going to settle in and take on some of our values, I see it at my sons local school, it takes time.

" I only registered to look at the pictures, now I'm stuck with this username for the rest of my life!"

mark chandler

posted on 20/2/16 at 09:36 AM Reply With Quote
Being selfish and looking to retire in 8 years I have a big mortgage and cannot afford a 2% hike in interest rates so will vote based upon that.

I just need someone to tell me what will happen to them if we go?

spaximus

posted on 20/2/16 at 09:50 AM Reply With Quote
The idea of the "Common Market" which we joined was just that. A market where all countries could trade within. A simple concept, which has now morphed into the nightmare we have now. The EU is a dangerous thing, they have supported expansionism to try to restrict the influence of Russia in the Eastern States. They have become dictatorial over what any member state can do effectively wanting control of everything.

We hear all the rhetoric about jobs, but the reality is that they will not put a trade barrier upon us as we import more from the EU than we export, so they would lose out. It would also allow us free trade in the world with whoever we wish. Other countries want our products and other countries do very well outside the EU, China, Taiwan, India Australia to name a few.

And think about this, as The UK is the second highest net contributor to the EU how will they manage without our contribution? Poland got £16,7 billion last from the EU for example. These other countries cannot make up the shortfall in the budgets. What would our country look like if instead of funding other countries infrastructure projects we funded ours properly?

With that in mind we should have been dictating the terms, not asking like Oliver Twist, without us the EU will fall, they know that but they also know our leaders have no backbone.

Immigration is another key area. In Australia, they take in who they need regardless of where they come from, no one dictates what they do as they are sovereign. We are forced to take whoever has a passport regardless of worth to our economy, so long as it is an EU one.

My view is simple, we should vote to leave. This will force them to come to us to make the conditions right for us to stay, which we could then decide upon.

If we vote to stay now, the EU will take everything they can from us to redistribute elsewhere. They will have a mandate to force through anything they wish and it will be payback time.

Oddified

posted on 20/2/16 at 11:03 AM Reply With Quote
Nothing i've heard on the news makes me thing there's any benefit what so ever staying in. I'm out.

Ian

perksy

posted on 20/2/16 at 11:04 AM Reply With Quote
I'm Out

They told us it was going to be the end of the world if we didn't adopt the Euro
Factories were going to close and major players were going to transfer their dealings overseas

Nonsense.....

scootz

posted on 20/2/16 at 11:49 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident
The EU would be avery different place if the Home Counties had actually made some effort to take part in the decision making from the start.

If the UK leaves the EU then it will become almost certain that the UK will break up.

^^^This^^^

It's Evolution Baby!

RoyM

posted on 20/2/16 at 01:08 PM Reply With Quote
Eu without the UK doesn't work which is why they didn't just say p*** off. Most of the issues about companies moving could be sorted by adjusting corporation tax to make UK an attractive base for true multinationals and tariffs go both ways for most countries - most European countries would lose by reciprocal tariffs. Personally I think the economics, security and social aspects say come out but I would probably prefer to stay in!
RoyM

posted on 20/2/16 at 01:09 PM Reply With Quote
Eu without the UK doesn't work which is why they didn't just say p*** off. Most of the issues about companies moving could be sorted by adjusting corporation tax to make UK an attractive base for true multinationals and tariffs go both ways for most countries - most European countries would lose by reciprocal tariffs. Personally I think the economics, security and social aspects say come out but I would probably prefer to stay in!
steve m

posted on 20/2/16 at 01:40 PM Reply With Quote
I do not know enough about the in or out stuff

But if we opt to leave the EU, and it means the borders are closed for any non UK qualified residents

then lets leave, and become an island again

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

femster87

posted on 20/2/16 at 02:11 PM Reply With Quote
As an interested bystander, the language everyone uses, interests me. Brits say "they" when referring to the EU. But as far as i know, every country gets adequate representation in the EU. How comes UK's representatives are not making enough noise when new laws are being made ( and maybe veto'ing the move). To my simple mind, either some people have seen the job as a jolly or the government intentionally ignored what was going on.

In my mind the benefits outweigh the disadvantages, there is not point making the decision with emotions/patriotism.

Something that interest me if the UK leaves the EU is Standards. Are we going to go back to all the British standards as opposed to the EN one? I have tried to purchase equipment from america for work and the ball ache/ retrofit involved to attain compliance can be frustrating over a simple paperwork

Something else to consider is that a lot of multi-national companies in the UK are owned by european parent companies. I will hazard a guess at 50-60%. If this trade becomes constrained, I don't think the size of the UK market on its own will attract that much further investment.

All I am saying is, this needs a lot of thinking about before a rash decision is made.

<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.