Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Aluminium plate for handbrake caliper
John G

posted on 22/6/16 at 10:11 AM Reply With Quote
Aluminium plate for handbrake caliper

I need to fit my willwood handbrake callipers to the rear hubs which I intend to do with aluminium plate.
What would be the best thickness for weight / strength, is there any other metal that would be better, and where is the best place to purchase? I will be having them water cut.
Regards, John

JAG

posted on 22/6/16 at 10:52 AM Reply With Quote
Steel would be a much better choice - less chance of fatigue cracking over time.

Steel plate at 6mm thick would be enough for the braking forces.

But I'd aim for at least 1.5 x thread diameter for thread engagement of any bolts that tighten into a thread in this bracket.

If you have a 10mm diameter bolt then I would allow 15mm thread depth.

Justin

Who is this super hero? Sarge? ...No.
Rosemary, the telephone operator? ...No.
Penry, the mild-mannered janitor? ...Could be!

John G

posted on 22/6/16 at 12:03 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the reply. I will look at some steel plate. I was not intending to tap a thread in to the plate, just use nuts and bolts to hold the calliper on.
John

nick205

posted on 22/6/16 at 12:39 PM Reply With Quote
I'd go for steel plate as well for the long term strength of it. You could get the parts laser or water cut from a dimensioned drawing, which would make it easy to fit.

Nickp

posted on 22/6/16 at 05:25 PM Reply With Quote
As it's only a handbrake caliper you probably would be fine with alloy, unless you intend doing loads of handbrake turns of course
Theshed

posted on 22/6/16 at 08:44 PM Reply With Quote
Well the callipers are alloy.....why is it assumed that aluminium will crack earlier? Why is it assumed that if designed properly it will crack at all?
JAG

posted on 23/6/16 at 07:25 AM Reply With Quote
The issue is designing it properly.

I am assuming you don't have access to the right Finite Element Analysis tools nor have the expertise to use them. Like most on here

If you had access to these things then you could design an Aluminium bracket where the overall stress levels would remain below the materials fatigue threshold. Then the Aluminium part wouldn't crack and would be strong enough to resist all the caliper loads. Which is what the caliper manufacturer has done.

If you don't have those tools/skills then you have to over Engineer the bracket and the best way is to use Steel

Justin

peter030371

posted on 23/6/16 at 07:45 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JAG
The issue is designing it properly.

I am assuming you don't have access to the right Finite Element Analysis tools nor have the expertise to use them. Like most on here

If you had access to these things then you could design an Aluminium bracket where the overall stress levels would remain below the materials fatigue threshold. Then the Aluminium part wouldn't crack and would be strong enough to resist all the caliper loads. Which is what the caliper manufacturer has done.

If you don't have those tools/skills then you have to over Engineer the bracket and the best way is to use Steel

And you think RD did all that with this lumps of ally http://www.rallydesign.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=562_579& products_id=4023

To the OP I assume you have looked at the 'universal' mounts that RD do? I bet one of them is close enough to only need a little tweaking and maybe a few holes and bobs your aunties live-in lover

The RD brackets that came with my front caliper kit are just bits of ally the right size to line the caliper up with the disk and then 4 holes in the right place. No rocket science, no FEA and I doubt a degree in Home Economics (old school cooking!) let alone training in formal engineering.....but I can't see them ever failing so well done RD for keeping it KISS

JAG

posted on 24/6/16 at 11:03 AM Reply With Quote
RD have over Engineered in Aluminium.

I say it's easier and safer to over Engineer in Steel.

The OP can make his own decision in which he prefers - if you buy from RD at least you can get them replaced if anything goes wrong

Justin

coozer

posted on 24/6/16 at 02:40 PM Reply With Quote
Easier for a home builder to over engineer in steel and sleep tight at night.

Calipers are ali but they are forged and designed with all the forces taken into consideration.

RD brackets may be ali but who knows what thought/development has gone into these? Or what grade of Ali they are??

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

Kdempsie

posted on 24/6/16 at 02:54 PM Reply With Quote
I used aluminium for my rear caliper mounts, similar in design to most radial mounted caliper brackets.

I'd suggest 6082 T6 as the material grade to use.

You can get a basic idea of what I did here https://jpsc.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1209&start=10

Keith.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.